LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help me to find right drivers for laptop!

Guest wideawakewesley

Guest wideawakewesley

I've just bought an Acer Aspire 1522WLMi and tried to run a game demo (Flatout). I noticed a lot of black shapes flickering on the screen as I played so I assume I need updated drivers? It plays video fine, just appears to be this game (it's the only game I've tried mind you).

My drivers appear to have the version numbers:

Can you advise me as to which official Nvidia drivers to get. I don't really want to put any homebrew stuff on my laptop if I can help it.

Thanks,

Wes

Guest wideawakewesley

Ok, considering I want to run HL2 on my laptop, am I right in assuming I should go for the 67.02 drivers? If so, do I need a modified INF file or will it work fine as is?

Apologies for being such a newbie

You can use any drivers from the laptopvideo2go.com site.

I had the same problem with that game (when i was using the 47.13) drivers and it was solved with the 67.02 drivers.

The drivers should work fine on your machine. You wille need a modified inf to make everything work!

Guest wideawakewesley

Am I better off with the 67.02 drivers or the 67.03?

I noticed someone had an issue with UT2004 on 67.02.

Also, which INF would you advise I go for?

Thanks,

Wes

Try 67.03 as it has a bug fix for HL2 (only difference from 67.02)

Just stick with the normal tweaked INF for starters.

If you comfortable with your system then try the performance ones.

The 'Instructions' can vary slightly with what your trying to install and what XP version you have.

But you should be able to work it out.

Best thing is, any driver out there should be usable now. :)

Guest wideawakewesley

Just installed the 67.03 drivers successfully, but the flatout demo is still showing weird arse black polygons flickering across the screen.

:)

I'll try the Half Life 2 demo tonight.

Guest wideawakewesley

Couldn't get the HL2 demo down (###### steam), but I did try the Pro Evo Soccer 4 demo and I see the same flickering black polygons in that as I do in Flatout.

Any ideas which drivers to try next guys?

I have the same laptop, and I'm currently running the 71.24s, although I do not have HL2 (or any games at the mo).

If you do, however use any drivers above the 56.72 ones (I think), then you most likely will get green Quicktime videos playing. The 1st one would play fine, but the 2nd on, would go green. This can be fixed by turning off Quicktimes Use DirectDraw Acceleration.

But with the 56.72s, I could not play a DVD at full screen, without it tearing at the edges. The newer drives fix this issue as well.

Guest wideawakewesley

I might give those a try.

I've just run 3DMark03 and there were no graphical problems with the tests. Why would these problems show up in games, but not the tests?

Any ideas if this is actually a driver issue?

Wes

It's always a try and error, but Bill a UberUT04 player and he made a thread in the Games section.

I have now tried both 67.03 and 67.66 drivers with INF adjusted for laptops.

Demos for flatout, UT2004 & Pro Evo Soccer 4 all have flickering polygons across the screen when the game runs. Also when closing the UT2004 demo I get a blue screen of death and the laptop reboots.

Should I try some earlier drivers or a different INF?

Thanks for the continued help.

Try the 67.50, or 67.60, or 67.6X, do they work with UT2004?

Since it is the demo, I guess I can not tell you to go look for updates for it....... (the one on the site is the latest version)

Do you have all of your other drivers up to date? (sound, ect)

For me I think UT2004 will even run on 2x.xx drivers (UT2003 did anyway, and 04's graphics engine is not much diff), so really the game runs on almost anything......(although with really old drivers, [<4x.xx] atleast on GF 2 and 4 GOs, you will get graphics glitches)

I know this next question is strange, but what processor do you have?

I have heard of people getting BSODs in UT2004 with AMD processors...

You should try some more drivers, have you tried the 71.20 or 71.24 drivers yet?

Or the 66.93? If all of those drivers give you problems you must have a serious problem or something...

I've just recently moved over to the UK, hence why I bought a laptop, and as of yet I don't have any games :)

Guest wideawakewesley

I'm still using the same driver, but have since got my hands on some more software to test them out. Suffice to say that Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (apart from a few performance issues) and the HL2 demo both run fine on the system, with only the rare flickering polygon appearing. World Of Warcraft also runs fine.

I can only assume it's something specific to the three demo's I tried that had the problems.

Thanks for the help.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

:)

ok wideawake thanks for your help here.

I will receive my ACER 1522WMLi lappy tomorrow evening and was wondering too how the 5700 would handle games.

Can you give me some information on what I should do after setting it up to get it to run the games smoothly.

I take it you can't just download from nvidias site?

This will be my 1st lappy and I don't want to screw it up straight away.

The above topic was very interesting read... is there a guide somewhere for what do to to get the laptop working properly.

thanks

jas

Guest wideawakewesley

You should be fine with any of the listed drivers I've tried, the system seems very good all round, I think you'll like it.

Any questions don't hesitate to leave me a message.

Since I have negleted to reply about that crashing bug in UT2004, it seems to have to do with AMDs and nvidia cards or something, you can complain directly to the creators of the game, or to nvidia, or both....

Trying different drivers would be your best bet, but that problem will eventually get fixed(hopefull), in fact, they are coming out with a patch for UT2004 really soon, the beta is either out already or will be soon, not sure if it fixes that bug, but atleast they are working on fixing some of the bugs.....

I finally bought a game :)

I'm running KOTOR2, and have no problems with the latest 71.81 drivers, well, no problems apart from all the bugs in the release. But those aren't graphic problems :)