LaptopVideo2Go Forums

cPax v1.000 | Synaptics cPad Enhancement tool

sn0wl

Yes, at least for now before I'm completely satisfied with save system (just found a bug in loading part for application launcher in settings application). Usually core and settings applications are backwards compatible but rarely aren't (like a change in alarm feature after beta 6, a beta 5 settings file is a bit incompatible).

I don't think it will ever be a problem to use an old settings and apps file from now on but installer should replace them just in case for a while ...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sn0wl

• ®®®

• smax

• TheRealBeezle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reg file should be static so from now on I will name core application just cPax.exe and settings application cPax Settings.exe
and
copy files in 'bat file path'\cpax to appropriate folder

The folder where the cpax files are copied from is from now on also a static folder name? namely only cpax? and not cpaxb6b? and the destination folder should also be only cpax?

If so, then it would be great and it make life easier!

Whatever you want, everything will be static :)

\cPax.exe

\cPax Settings.exe

\cncs232.dll

\clock.bmp

\clock2.bmp

\settings.txt

\apps.txt

\readme.txt

\restart.txt (this is a temporary file)

\wallpaper\*.bmp

Maybe I'll rename settings, apps and restart .txt files to .cps (cPax Save) files, just to prevent accidental user edits.

Here it is.

I changed the head of reg.file to REGEDIT4 to have compatibility with Windows 2K as the Synaptics driver is also usable in 2K and i think your tool, too. Also the batch is only usable in 2K or XP as i didn't inlcude a check for Windows MCE or Windows 2003 or Windows 64 bit or whatever. I can't test these, and i don't give out untested stuff :)

I added a hint to who made cPax and who made the installer also i added your website in the end. I hope this is convenient for you, you can also open the batch and edit stiuff , but beware of the GFX :) (pay attention to any spaces, these are important for the integretity of the 'graphic').

One thing came to my mind concerning the .REG file:

when someone already has an registry entry in TinTouch under Category 3 and folder 5 (which is now used by cPax) it will be overwritten!

:P

Works and looks great! Thanks a lot! :P :)

I added a hint to who made cPax and who made the installer also i added your website in the end. I hope this is convenient for you, you can also open the batch and edit stiuff , but beware of the GFX  (pay attention to any spaces, these are important for the integretity of the 'graphic').
I guess I'll remove my site from the installer. It's closed now and have nothing to do with cPax.
One thing came to my mind concerning the .REG file:  when someone already has an registry entry in TinTouch under Category 3 and folder 5 (which is now used by cPax) it will be overwritten!

I edited reg file and made it use folder 10 instead. I don't think anything else will go that high :)

Is it possible to add a shortcut of settings application to Start Menu or desktop in case user doesn't have Toshiba Console ..?

One thing tho, after the installation it launches settings, and while settings application is on, you can't exit installer by pressing any button. Also after installation if you run it again and say no to installation, it will again open settings and won't close.

Hi,

the following news for a correct working batch:

- i removed the link to your website

- no spaces @ .EXE allowed for batch processing (especially the start command) -> "cPax Settings.exe" should be cPaxSet.exe

- creating a shortcut: i made a workaround and created & edited manually a shortcut to cPaxSet in %PROGRAMFILES%\Toshiba\cPax and put it in the "install" directrory where the cpax.reg and the installer is. During installation copy or move the .LNK file to Desktop ("USERPROFILE\Desktop")

Note: if someone has no Toshiba Console wouldn't it be better to copy all files to a cpAx dir in the Synaptics directory, as the Synaptics driver defenitely is existant in evry case :) . Just a thought, but i like it in the Toshiba folder.

Check out the attached error, it was working fine in previous file. (i renamed cPax Settings.exe to cPaxSet.exe)

Also I think startup reg setting doesn't work. :)

"cPax" | Synaptics cPad backlight on/off tool :P

:)

made new attachment above, are you not allowed to change the title of the thread?

What should it be named? i like to change it now :)

###### the spaces just disappear after i apply them in the proeperties of the .LNK file. The problem are the spaces in the english XP "Program Files" . In german it's just "Programme" and therefore works.

Edited by ®®®

It still gives the same error :)

You said you corrected the reg, will cPax start at startup now?

Nope I cant change the title. Erm, change it to something you like!

I have beta 7 finished in hand which is mainly bugfix edition.

new try:

- i implemented the cPax AutoStart in the install batch due to limitation of "regedit import" (can't process the systemwide %ProgramFiles% variable), so now the real path is written in the Run key of registry :) and the start now works. I want also to suggest that there should be an option to add/remove the registry AutoStart entry from the cPaxSet.exe. The command for XP is:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /f /v cPax /d "%ProgramFiles%\Toshiba\cPax\cPax.exe"

Which just reminds to another problem: 2K!! I need again to modify the installer for compatibility with 2K. Ups :)

Just adding it automatically with out informing the User is not nice. Maybe i need to add some more text to the installer for informational purposes or you just add this info to the readme.txt that would be the most easiest way.

- Does the shortcut from the Desktop works?

- i had to remove the start of cPaxSet at the end of the batch for the obvious problems, batches can't handle names with spaces when used with the start command, so in german verison it works , but in english it doesn't. As there's now an Desktop shortcut and in also an icon in the Console, it not a problem i think.

Note: i think the cPads were only used in Toshiba's, never saw other Laptops with that in the internet.

Thanks, it seems to work great now but I'm still having problems with startup stuff... Yeah, cPax core starts at startup BUT it won't load settings ?! After I launch settings application, as normal it closes and opens again, it works normal. Does that happen to you?

For startup, I guess you should write that info in installer intro.

No idea about 2K, I always use XP >_<

Desktop shortcut works.

And since you removed running settings at the end, maybe you should state that there is a desktop shortcut which to be opened to start cPax.

Yeah, only Toshiba as far as I know but I wasn't using Toshiba Console before :) Still it's installed by I can't say I use it.

Should I send you beta 7 now or wait for installer to be finished?

2K comtibility in batches is always a problem and makes code much bigger. I need to figure around a bit with that. Just send the beta 7. I just attach it for people to download & and work a liitlwe bit more on the batch.

Have to verify what you wrote about the startup behaviour...

Will add more text for USER information.....

----

Can add/remove AutoStart be easily added in cPaxSet?

Edited by ®®®

Can add/remove AutoStart be easily added in cPaxSet?

Never tried before, will work on it based on the reg code you supplied.

Disregard the code i provided above:

the HKLM Run is somehow bad for cPax, it just loads the clock, no background image, no light bulb. For me it's obvious that it must have something to do with the sequence of how the synaptics drivers and (cpax) autostart apps are loaded. When you place a shortcut to cpax.exe in the StartMenu AutoStart folder it works correct as StartMenu Autostart is loaded AFTER the USer has logged on and all settings, drivers and Run entries in HKLM & HKCU are loaded.

So if you want to test around with AutoStarting cPax then it should use the StartMenu :)

Btw that's the way i had it before and i there were no problems.

Edited by ®®®

Yep same problem here.

I just checked my capabilities in Settings application and I cant find a way to add shortcut to startup folder =( I could add it if folder was static but you know its user and os depended. Anyway do you know the general code to access that startup folder (%UserSettings%\Start\Startup? or whatever)?

There's no common variable for Autostart i know of. The only thing which comes to my mind is reading out the value of "StartUp" in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" .

Or maybe place the AutoStart entry in HKCU/Run as it is loaded later than HKLM? Can you test it? I'm sure now that it didn't work as in HKLM/Run are also Synaptics entries, which need to be loaded first and after that cPax. You cannot determine the sequence of the the programs loaded in HKLM/Run, so give HKCU a try!

I already tried

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

it's the same ...

1 solution comes to my mind. :) I ll write a small launcher application which will open cPax core after a short while. What do you think?

Ok i got the code for the batch for a successfull HKLM or HKCU RUN entry in both 2k and XP, but as we know there is some limitation when cPad starts immedialetlety. Maybe there's a way to include some code to cpax.exe that when the OS just started it should wait for like 5 or 10 seconds.

No need for that when the OS is loaded for about 2 minutes or so.

What i would do next is adding it to the StartUp folder by reading out the value in the registry. Then there must be another shortcut file for cpax.exe created manually and it must be included in the ZIP file.

Was there a reason why to have the Toshiba Console as extra .REG file? I can also include it to the batch and ask the user if he the icon should be installed in the Toshiba Console.

Ok i got the code for the batch for a successfull HKLM or HKCU RUN entry in both 2k and XP, but as we know there is some limitation when cPad starts immedialetlety. Maybe there's a way to include some code to cpax.exe that when the OS just started it should wait for like 5 or 10 seconds.  No need for that when the OS is loaded for about 2 minutes or so.
Great! Check your inbox btw :)
Was there a reason why to have the Toshiba Console as extra .REG file? I can also include it to the batch and ask the user if he the icon should be installed in the Toshiba Console.

Nope, I didn't know it could be done in batch file. Keeping only installation file and readme file would be best!

Finished , will need to pack again all files and then upload.

What about collecting all those pictures. I will defenitely use the SW ones you provided :) thanks! Also Josh's could be included, as i'm a looser in MultiMedia stuff and handling with Photoshop etc. and you seem to be a Pro it will be your tasks :)

The installer now puts an shortcut in the StartMenu Autostart folder, so now there are two new files:

- shortcut which leads cPax.exe in %PROGRAMFILES\Toshiba\cpAx\cpax.exe

- shortcut which leads to cPaxSet.exe in %PROGRAMFILES\Toshiba\cpAx\cpaxSet.exe

- cPaxInstaller.bat

- i removed the reg file and included the content in the batch

- it should be now compatible with 2K (though untested, will do that later, not today)

I had to do a trick to receive the double \\ for the regiedit import. Because when you parse the variable %PROGRAMFILES% it's C:\Program Files (or in German: C:\Programme), but this is not processable when you want to import something to the registry, it must be C:\\Program Files\\Toshiba\\cPax\\cpaxxxx.xxx

Anyways .

Finished , will need to pack again all files and then upload.
Thanks! Do I need to do anything now or you will handle beta 7 and upload?
What about collecting all those pictures. I will defenitely use the SW ones you provided  thanks! Also Josh's could be included, as i'm a looser in MultiMedia stuff and handling with Photoshop etc. and you seem to be a Pro it will be your tasks

I can convert them easily, if anything you want. Yeah a collection would be nice but first we should collect all kinds of nice stuff to be converted.

I used 7-zip to pack (SFX EXE) and got rid of 200KB, also i added a bit more text concerning the Installer in the readme.txt. Feel free to change it in the next release. No need anymore for the Loader and another additional file, as the problem is solved now (StartMewnu AutoStart).

Upload is finished and pathes to new pics are edited.

Everything fine now, have to go now. Other tasks that wait for me must be worked away :)

Thanks a lot! :) :)

Now to hear feedback of beta 7 and work on beta 8 (already started, so far includes fixes).

:P