LaptopVideo2Go Forums

cPax v1.000 | Synaptics cPad Enhancement tool

sn0wl

®®®, I would just say 7.5.7 but I think I just found how to enable original cPad for all drivers... Also more interesting stuff. Just hold on till I'm done with tests.

Edit;

Okay, you can actually enable scroll zone and tap button pictures on cPad with new Synaptics drivers as well with a registry entry but I couldn't find a way to fully use original cPad application (no application launcher, no background picture). Maybe with more registry edit it can be done, don't know.

I have, however, a good news. I have successfully modified 7.8.10 driver to be able to support both cPax and original cPad applications. It's done by using SynTPEnh.exe version 7.5.7 which includes support for original cPad applications without editing registry. I also managed to get rid of nagging screen with a registry entry again. You can easily switch between original cPad and cPax with a registry entry. Anyway I wonder what else is different in drivers. There would be no need to use new drivers if everything except SynTPEnh.exe are the same (I can say I didn't see anything different).

Ok, now my conclusion is lets use 7.5.7! You can use either original cPad or cPax and with some core application fixes you can also use cPax and original cPad applications like Calculator, Keypad and Signature Capture. Here is how to switch between cPax and original cPad;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\EnableCpad

If you want to use original applications set value to 1, if you want to use cPax set it to 0 and restart SynTPEnh.exe. Also using SynTPEnh.ini file I posted above lets you use scrolling in some new applications as well like iTunes, Opera etc.

I will work on cPax to make it able to use original cPad applications and I hope I can manage to do it. Thats it for now, and Rene I think we should work on a modified Synaptics driver (7.5.7) with ability for user to easily switch between ocPad and cPax and added scrolling support with SynTPEnh.ini I modified. Tell me when you have some time in your hands. This will be the best for cPads I think.

Edited by sn0wl

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ®®®

• smax

• sn0wl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest StevoBrooks
Okay, you can actually enable scroll zone and tap button pictures on cPad with new Synaptics drivers as well with a registry entry but I couldn't find a way to fully use original cPad application (no application launcher, no background picture). Maybe with more registry edit it can be done, don't know.
Do you mean that by changing a registry entry the scroll and tap zone pictures will appear while using cPax? If so, what's the entry?
I will work on cPax to make it able to use original cPad applications and I hope I can manage to do it. Thats it for now, and Rene I think we should work on a modified Synaptics driver (7.5.7) with ability for user to easily switch between ocPad and cPax and added scrolling support with SynTPEnh.ini I modified.

Wondering if I'm missing something. :) What do you need the old cPad appliction for? cPax already handles the background image, if I understand correctly you've found a way to get the scrolling/taps graphics to appear, so all that's left are the original applications which you think you can also launch from cPax. Just trying to get a better understanding of how the different programs relate to each other.

Appreciate all the work you are putting into this sn0wl. If the Synaptics people had done something like this in the first place they might have gotten a bigger market for the cPad, maybe they still will as more people hear about cPax? :)

Do you mean that by changing a registry entry the scroll and tap zone pictures will appear while using cPax? If so, what's the entry?
No they won't appear while using cPax, opening cPax will acquire display and overlap what's on. They will be visible again when you close cPax.
Wondering if I'm missing something.  What do you need the old cPad appliction for? cPax already handles the background image, if I understand correctly you've found a way to get the scrolling/taps graphics to appear, so all that's left are the original applications which you think you can also launch from cPax. Just trying to get a better understanding of how the different programs relate to each other.

Same explanation, I just found a way to "partly" enable original application and now it's possible to use those little applications like calculator, signature capture etc. You know that was impossible before. My point is making a good hybrid driver that will have all good points without sacrificing old cPad/cPax. Also it doesn't seem possible to have those scroll/tap pictures over cPax unless they are implemented in cPax itself. It can be done, but don't know if worths lots of efford ...

Appreciate all the work you are putting into this sn0wl. If the Synaptics people had done something like this in the first place they might have gotten a bigger market for the cPad, maybe they still will as more people hear about cPax?

Agree, I always thought cPads had so many potential but never used wisely. Thats why I started this project. Thanks :)

Guest StevoBrooks

Hey sn0wl, what's the key you found to turn on the scroll/tap images w/ the newer drivers? Wouldn't mind experiementing w/ it some.

Seeing if I got this straight. The original cPad app. added entries to the registry for the scroll/tap images and a path to the wallpaper image. So something else (SynTPEnh I assume) actually did the work of putting those images up on the cPad display? In the case of cPax you are continuously refreshing the display yourself in order to allow the clock, battey indicator, etc. to appear on the display at the same time as the background? Where the original app. could only do one thing at a time since it didn't actively manage the display itself? Becasue of this when you invoke the key to put up the scroll/tap images the continual refreshing of the display ends up hiding them, or are you using some completely different method to acquire to display for cPax and that's why the images get overwritten?

I'm not familiar w/ the particulars of SDK and all, but it seems based on the behavour of the original app and the wording of the keys that the cPad treats images as two seperate layers. With the wallpaper as the background layer and the tap/scroll images as the foreground layer. Any way to take advantage of this, using the background layer for the wallpaper/animation and tapping into the tap/scroll image layer for the clock, battery indicator, etc.?

Hey sn0wl, what's the key you found to turn on the scroll/tap images w/ the newer drivers? Wouldn't mind experiementing w/ it some.
Check out attached reg file. Close cPax and SynTPEnh, then run SynTPEnh. Not sure but the overlay registry entry you mentioned before should also be 1.
Seeing if I got this straight. The original cPad app. added entries to the registry for the scroll/tap images and a path to the wallpaper image. So something else (SynTPEnh I assume) actually did the work of putting those images up on the cPad display? In the case of cPax you are continuously refreshing the display yourself in order to allow the clock, battey indicator, etc. to appear on the display at the same time as the background? Where the original app. could only do one thing at a time since it didn't actively manage the display itself? Becasue of this when you invoke the key to put up the scroll/tap images the continual refreshing of the display ends up hiding them, or are you using some completely different method to acquire to display for cPax and that's why the images get overwritten?

Exactly how you said. SynTPEnh handles main display (background image, scroll and tap pictures etc) of original cPad application and when you press middle button it shows contents of \cpad\applauncher dir (exe and ink files) and you actually run one of the individual components like calculator etc, acquiring display - doing what necessary and upon exit, giving display back to SynTPEnh.exe.

cPax also acquires display and draws what it has to so indeed screen gets deleted as expected. No layers, you just acquire display->give what to display and upon next refresh cycle (which is 500ms in cPax) it shows on display. You have to clear screen before next cycle because if you don't clear old objects will be kept and screen will be crowded with all old/new pixels. So even if I could keep scrollzones, they would be overwritten if not redrawn in each cycle.

I'm not familiar w/ the particulars of SDK and all, but it seems based on the behavour of the original app and the wording of the keys that the cPad treats images as two seperate layers. With the wallpaper as the background layer and the tap/scroll images as the foreground layer.

Not layers exactly, they just overlap each other in the order you give so if you keep giving them without clearing screen will get crowded like I said. You don't update wallpaper and clock separately, you just have to take care of everything in each cycle.

Guest StevoBrooks

Thanks sn0wl for the .reg file and your patience w/ my questions. I can envision the relationships between the different cPad apps a lot better now. Look forward to what you and Rene come up w/ as you continue to tweek cPax. :P

Ya it's real nice to have my cPad back in working condition. :) It's been so long I still find myself reaching for the mouse. :) Gotta download that inf. file so the scrolling will work in more places. Does it fix notepad and the other Windows apps where the scroller jumps to the side and moves super slow?

I got so into straightening out my machine that I let working on my taxes slip, :( due at the post office by the 15th, so I've spent the better part of today working on them. Will no doubt take most of tomorrow to. Hopefully taxes in Turkey and Germany not so complicated.

Gotta download that inf. file so the scrolling will work in more places. Does it fix notepad and the other Windows apps where the scroller jumps to the side and moves super slow?

Cursor still jumps to sides in some applications, and I found it works and feels best in Internet Explorer, duh .... But I don't know about slow scrolling. Try this; go to properties of you touchpad and in Virtual Scrolling, select Long Distance Scrolling, disable Coasting and and enable Enable Edge Motion When Scrolling and see if that will make any difference.

Guest StevoBrooks

Maybe I should say the scrolling in IE fast, like 20-30x faster, compared to others Adobe Reader, notepad, regedit and such. If I set the scrolling speed to comfortable level, yet still very snappy, for IE I end up at the second notch from the left. A good speed for everything else 1/2 to 3/4 the way to the right, but then scrolling in IE so fast I can go from top to bottom of my friends blog (it's real long, maybe 50 - 100 screen fulls) by moving my finger barely 1/2 cm. Makes it real hard to stop in the right spot.

When I get these taxes done I'll try applying the .inf file and see if it makes any difference.

Just occured to me that so far the apps where the cursor jumps to the side while scrolling are the "slow" ones and the ones where the scroll pointer pops up (only IE so far that I recall) are the "fast" ones. Perhaps the older drivers don't exhibit this behavour, since they don't have the scroll icon.

As I'm really fascinated by the cPad and your tool, sn0wl, I did a little *brainstorm* and restructured your GUI a little bit, to give you perhaps a few ideas for the final version :)

I think it's a little more structured and less chaotic now :P

It's far away from being perfect because I arranged the controls only with my graphics app...

If you like any parts of it, take from it what you like :)

cpax10gui.png

Thanks Sch0rsch, this gui looks great, I was thinking of redesigning current one later this might come in handy! So this is only a picture, right? I hope I can manage to construct it :)

Would you mind sending cPax logo as well as cPad picture? I may consider using it. Thanks a lot and enjoy cPax!

Perhaps the older drivers don't exhibit this behavour, since they don't have the scroll icon.

I guess we should be trying, I find most suitable to be driver 7.8.10 with SynTPEnh 7.5.7 for myself. But the question is if anything else is different except SynTPEnh in drivers, so if not the best is just using 7.5.7 drivers I guess. :) I personally noticed nothing different than SynTPEnh.

Yep, it's just a picture :)

Btw. my cPad graphic was initially created from your second photograph on the start page (cpaxb9appl.jpg)...

Here I splitted and packed the whole thing for you:

cpax10gui_gfx.zip

Guest bunabhucan

Thank you *very* much for this program.

I had a thought about the application launcher - would it be possible to have it use the icons within the applications instead of the little finger thing and the text? Instead of room for 6-8 applications you might be able to fit more?

The reason I ask is that that would make it possible to use more apps - kind of like the quicklaunch folder - unobtrusive, yet makes efficient use of the valuable real estate it takes up.

Thanks Again,

John.

Thanks Sch0rsch, and I already started working on new settings application, but it won't be for cPax v1.0. Rather I guess I will make it ready for next releases. My todo list becoming longer, I hope I can manage to do them all!

I had a thought about the application launcher - would it be possible to have it use the icons within the applications instead of the little finger thing and the text? Instead of room for 6-8 applications you might be able to fit more?

I definetly like the way it is now but I will consider implementing that style in next releases, since there sure are classic-lovers and take advantage of each pixel like you said :)

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I'm still working on those wallpapers. Sorry it's taking me so long, school work and photoshop projects are piling up. But I haven't forgotten!

dalix, why don't you register to forum? You will be notified by changes in this topic. Also I just sent cPax v1.0 to Rene which includes bug fixes and finally fixing the bugs I know and fair enough to be version 1.0! Thanks everyone for supporting the project and enjoy cPax as usual ^_^

sn0wl, i added the new version :) I haven't had time for updating the changelog in the thread....

dalix, welcome onboard :P

Sch0rsch, great idea and great GUI Nhancement for cPax :) What a pity that there's no N in cPax.

btw, sn0wl i updated the installer once again to achieve XPhome compatibilty and also added a switch to overwrite write-protected/hidden files, which ARE existant in the cPax directory :(

Thanks ®®® and welcome dalix!

I'm working on next release of cPax, but don't expect it to be soon. Meanwhile I'm open to any suggestions :)

®®®, installer was killing cPax automatically before but now it asks me to do! Why don't you just include killtask or whatever it was into the pack?

®®® you should also read above when you have free time, we gained great knowlegde of Synaptics drivers.

Guest dalix

A fan speed control feature would be nice but that sounds really pointless in cPax. I'm just frustrated with my core temperature. My CPU is almost always over 54 degrees celcius (129 degrees Farenheit). Is that too high? SpeedFan says it is. A lot of times it gets into the 60's Celsius. And for some reason SpeedFan can't keep my blower at 100%. Anyone know a program that can or want to write one?

Guest StevoBrooks

Hey Dalix,

If you want to force your fan on the easy way use fan.exe from here

http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/windows.html

When I first got my Toshiba it nearly burned my leg off the first night :) , right away went to the Toshiba users forum and saw several references to fan.exe and gave it a try. Took care of the heat problem, still warm towards the left back corner, but well within reason as long as I have jeans on.

Nothing fancy, it puts a fan icon in the system tray, you double click on it to force on the fan, double click again to put it on automatic. That's it.

While looking through one of Renee's posts I saw he uses SpeedFan. I tried it, but didn't find it offered any advantage other than showing the temp. so I went back to fan.exe Seems for now only Toshiba's automatic controls can force the fan to high speed, fan.exe and SpeedFan both force it to the same, single, lower and (thankfully for me at least) quieter speed. According to SpeedFan my cpu running around 42C w/ the fan on constant.

Hopefully the SpeedFan folks will eventually figure out how to better control the Toshiba ACPI fan so it can dynamically vary the speed to maintain a target cpu temp., then maybe I could use my machine w/ shorts on to :)

Guest dalix

With SpeedFan, I can get it up to high speed for a few seconds at a time when I switch from 45% to 50%. But I have to do it manually. I really don't care about noise, I always use headphones. Perhaps this topic would be best on another thread.

It WOULD be cool to integrate the fan.exe program into cPax though... like maybe have a button on the cPad to enable/disable fan...? You may want to check with Buzzard first, but if he lets you use the source, that would be badass, not to mention getting rid of one more task in our long task lists.

Thanks ®®® for making me one of a kind in the forum :P :(

No fan control in cPax.

Dalix, waiting for your animations :]

Enjoy v1.0.0.0!

Also there is Nhancement in cPax, right ®®®? :) :)

What about removing the changelog from the first post and upload it as a second attachment

Fan.exe from buzzard: from what i remember he is charging money fro the source code as he invested a lot of time and effort in finding out how everything is handled by Toshiba

Does cPax work on 2K or 2k3 (need it be included in the installer)?

Attached is a rough new version of the installer. It would interest me if you notice any speed improvement when the installer starts compared to the old one?

I will work a little bit more on it & then send it to you.