LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Standby/Hibernate/Resume problem fix

mobilenvidia

Laptops have the ability to goto Standby and Hibernate modes and place the whole system in to sleep mode.

Standby in Joe average terms places the sytem in sleep mode EXCEPT for the memory.

When entering standy everyting is turned off or in suspend mode, except the memory which keeps everything as it ws when standy mode was entered.

When you resume from here the system is powered up again and resumes from where it was stopped.

This is the fastest way to quickly shutdown your sytem as it only takes a few seconds to shut the system down to standby mode.

There is normally a flashing light on the laptop to say your in stanadby mode.

Standby mode still uses power to keep the memory powered, so will last on a new battery aprox 4 days.

Hibernate, on the other hand places all the memory on the HD and then enters a deep sleep.

This mode takes longer than standby, aprox 10sec depending on Hard driver speed.

This mode will still take power and on a new battery will take about 10days to flatten the battery.

This slower to resume form (as long as it took to enter Hibernate mode) but has a longer battery life.

This is still lots faster then shutting your sytem down and then powering up again.

Within the 2 states above, there are sub-sleep states as well, various levels of sleep.

Now these two states of sleep are controlled by various parts of the laptop, ie Chipset/BIOS and other bits that control power switch control etc.

The BIOS can sometimes get the power states wrong and not resume properly if the system has gone into a too deep a sleep state, that the Chipset can handle.

The 2 settings in the INF that control the GPU side of the power states are:

MapOSD3ToNV For Laptops based on all CPU other than Centrino.

MapOSD4ToNV This is for Centrino based laptops and newer.

Both these with a setting of 3 places the system in it's deepest sleep (higher is better)

But some sytems can't resume from this mode and end up with black screen or lines or other things.

This requires the MapOSD3ToNV to be set to 2.

Now if you experience problems with standby or hibernate or resuming from them both.

Give the attached INF a try.

It's for 71.80 and has the following:

NV18 and below (Geforce 4go and Geforce2go)

MapOSD3ToNV =2

MapOSD4ToNV not used at all

NV28 and higher (Geforce 4 4200go and higher)

MapOSD3ToNV =3

MapOSD4ToNV =3

This should fix most problems as the NV11-18 are the ones with the main problems.

If you have a newer GPU with the problem let us know, I can raise the level where the setting starts.

Please give it a try and report back here with either the problem is fixed or still happening.

If you would like to know more or have information to share look here.

We need to know what GPU your system has, with out this there is no point posting any results as it will be meaningless.

Any other system info won't hurt to put it here as well.

Happy testing :)

nv4_disp.inf

The question that arises for me is why did the value need to be changed with the release of the 60s drivers? Wasn't it like you needed 2 in 40s and 50s driver times and i needed 3, but then with the release of the 60s it was the except opposite?

Is that the same INF from the MAPOSD3 in detail thread? I tested it already and it works properly for DEV_ID 0179 (GF4 460 Go), both Standby and Hibernation.

• 1 month later...

I can't tell whether this problem arose as the result of a driver update on the nvidia, or removing the toshiba cpad software and installing the cpax application and updated touchpad driver, but now:

the first time waking after 1 hour+ in standby takes a very long time for the screen to appear and the cpad display to start, 2 or 3 minutes.

if i close to standby and come back again quickly, the screen and cpad do not experience this delay. but if i leave it a few hours it comes back.

mapos are all set as they should be.

i have tried this with the usb devices set to allow the computer to turn tehm off to save power, and with this setting in the unchecked position, and the same problem occurs either way.

any ideas?!?

thanks!

I have similar problem occaisionally.

I can resume most to the time normally, but everynow and then the screen will flicker (ie like a screen with a very low refresh rate)

It goes away after about 20secs

I can now also now longer have it set to either 2 or 3 (must be 3).

Very confusing and even more frustrating as nVidia keep shifting the goal posts with this setting.