LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v75.90 XP 32bit | NV

®®®

:: UPDATES

• 08-MAR-2005: updated the Original INFs.ZIP (you can click in the NFO file) with all mobile INFs that were included in the driver

:: DETAILS

v75.90 | LV2Go Information file

:: OPEN ISSUES

As with every released driver, version 75.9x of the Release 75 drivers has open issues and enhancement requests associated with it. What follows is a list of issues that are either not fixed or not implemented in this version. Some problems listed may not have been thoroughly investigated and, in fact, may not be NVIDIA issues. Others will have workaround solutions.

:: ISSUES RESOLVED

Significant issues resolved in driver version 75.9x

:: OPINION [*by LSudlow]

75.90 is an interesting driver, but it creates a dilemma: On one hand, it's the slowest D3D driver I've seen on my Go5200 since the early 60 series, virtually bringing the poor thing to its knees. And yet... And yet...

Let me explain.

Although D3D performance is pitiful (at least on my card -- and I suspect other 64MB cards will fare equally poorly -- see my results here.), this driver is all about video performance... as in MPEG and other cinema formats that use nVidia's hardware decoding. There is a brand new driver, nvhwvid.dll, that's designed solely for motion compensation. You've never seen laptop cinema look so sharp and clear, with no visible blur at all during rapid motion.

There's also a new switch. PMMClockOverlayDevs, that appears to specify which devices are affected by the PowerMizer Memory Clock. And there's a new app profile xml file, nvwsapps.xml, for the Quadro users out there. Together, these are a significant difference and we've updated our infs accordingly.

But the dilemma I mentioned earlier... Do we live with the poor D3D performance to gain the great DVD/MPEG quality?

Well... Maybe.

The D3D performance isn't THAT much worse than other 7x.xx drivers. And the DVD/MPEG quality is truly outstanding. So I guess it comes down to your personal priority. If you need great D3D performance, stick with 67.66. It's still the fastest and most compatible game driver for cards with less than 128MB of RAM.

But if you have bugs that only the 7x.xx drivers solve, or if you are (as I am) a lover of personal cinema on your laptop, 75.90 is most definitely worth evaluating. It may even be a keeper.

CAUTION: Some people are reporting severe problems with this driver, including crashing, screen "shaking" and inability to install. If you aren't the adventurous type, you might want to wait for a more stable Version 75 to be released.

UPDATE

Some later observations about 75.90:

1. When I have any apps open and stretched to fill my screen (but not maximized), they will always shrink to 1024x768 when I close my lid and then reopen it.

2. When I close my lid and reopen it, there's about a 30% chance the backlight won't come back on. If I close/reopen again, or if I use Fn+F8 to force it to try to switch between my LCD and an external monitor, it always comes back on okay.

Interestingly, I've rerun my benchmarks and have produced much better scores the second time around. They are still slow and don't invalidate my earlier posting, but are no longer "bringing the poor thing to its knees." Here's what happened:

In my early testing days, I always used the nvidia 3D control panel to set MipMap pereformance to "Best Performance." That panel went away when nVidia created the new Performance and Quality page, but I always disabled the App Profile page to get it back, so all tests would be on a level playing field with my earlier ones.

Driver 75.90 no longer includes that original 3D page, so I ran my first test with all driver settings on "Fastest" but made no attempt to speed up that mipmap setting. For anyone who might not know, that slider adjusted the driver's Level of Detail setting, on a sliding scale between 0 (Best Quality) and 1.3 (Best Performance). In my newest test I used Riva Tuner to set LOD to 1.3 and the scores improved accordingly. They're still the slowest of my 7x.xx scores, but much better than they were before.

:: BENCHMARKS [*by LSudlow]

driver performance comparison charts for some GPUs

for GF2 Go: HERE from Pieter (v16.20 - v61.77)

for FX Go5200: HERE from Larry (v5x.xx - current)

for FX Go5700: HERE from Sky-Dexter (v65.73 - current)

for GF Go 6200: HERE from AJH (v70.75 - current)

:: DOWNLOAD & x-click-but21.gif

This and all other drivers available at LaptopVideo2Go are 7-zipped and come as a self-extracting archive for your convenience. We take care that your download time/traffic is minimized by compressing the driver in an optimized way. The method we had developed first is a service that you'll only find here proper working.

LV2Go Information file[/b]

Pieter's mobile INF modified for v75.90

Pieter's mobile INF modified for v75.90 | Performance optimized

Larry's DELL 5150/5160 optimized INF

John's DELL 8200/M50 optimized INF

Jeroen's MEDiON 41300 optimized INF

Teraphy's "PHP INF enhancement" page

nVLiTE page

((15NFODLs))

7590.nfo

Edited by mobilenvidia

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• mobilenvidia

• SLoweCSL

• ®®®

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Adding file now, couldn't get from Station driver so grabbed it from OSNN.

He must have got it from Guru3D as the wrongly renamed profile file was there.

Have fixed this and am uploading driver as we speak.

INF will need to wait as this is a different INF to the 70's series and has more in it to modify.

A lot more GPU's as well by the looks of it, alas work gets in the way.

Enjoy the first of the 75 series.

//edit: removed nfo and added it to the first post

Edited by ®®®

Hey guys,

Just got this driver from station-drivers. Want me to post the INF up here? There seems to be an NVDM (Dell) INF as well, amongst other INF's for other manufacturers.

The sub-directory trick doesn't work. It scanned the subdir and found the INFs during the setup routine.

-- Analysis --

Moved the Dell INF up one.

Install the first time detected the 5200 twice.

Notice another INF in the subdir with just a 0324 tag, modified the comment for it and it also appeared during setup.

Edited by Teraphy

Hey guys,

Just got this driver from station-drivers.  Want me to post the INF up here?  There seems to be an NVDM (Dell) INF as well, amongst other INF's for other manufacturers.

Yes, please.

The (clickable, if used with ###### NFO Viewer) link for the Original INFs is in the NFO file.

The Dell inf doesn't incorporate the new hardware video decoder dll (nvhwvid.dll). I'm trying to find out more about this file now, to see if it works on all nvidia cards that do hardware decoding, or just the new ClearView cards. It certainly LOOKS great playing movies with PowerDVD 6 on my Go5200.

4 V S _ V E R S I O N _ I N F O:

C o m p a n y N a m e N V I D I A C o r p o r a t i o n

F i l e D e s c r i p t i o n N V I D I A M o t i o n E s t i m a t i o n D r i v e r

F i l e V e r s i o n 6 . 1 4 . 1 0 . 7 5 9 0

I n t e r n a l N a m e N V H W V I D

L e g a l C o p y r i g h t ( C ) N V I D I A C o r p o r a t i o n . A l l r i g h t s r e s e r v e d .

O r i g i n a l F i l e n a m e N V H W V I D . D L L

P r o d u c t N a m e N V I D I A M o t i o n E s t i m a t i o n D r i v e r

P r o d u c t V e r s i o n 6 . 1 4 . 1 0 . 7 5 9 0

I'll be back with more info as soon as I have some.

Yay! I got an email from nVision... CONGRATULATIONS :) :)

Guest: Which INF do you want? The Dell one or the nv4_disp one? Anyone else?

In any event, I will post the original nv4_disp.inf

Edit: Eh, it's too large to post :P I'll make it as a downloadable.

nv4_disp.inf

Edited by Kamika007z

Modded INF is up.

I've combined a few INFs to make this new one (30.60)

Not tested yet, will do so now.

Thismodded Inf seems to work :)

Well done guys ! :)

Great :) works for me too.

I need someone with a Quadro to test this as this is where most of the changes are.

Keep the feedback coming

I have just forced an install of the go6800 (same setup as go5650) and don't get that error.

The driver reboots just fine.

Did you guys uninstall driver first ? using 'Add/Remove' programs in the control panel.

I have tried both methods uninstalling first and installing over the top and both work for me. :)

Its not working for me. After installing, the screen in 4 bit color it says that th edriver does not support current OS.

Same problem here as well. Did an uninstall from control panel. Used Driver Cleaner Pro from safe mode. Then booted to normal and installed the driver.

This is so strange, works for me and sky-dexter but not others.

How are you guys installing the driver, setup.exe or update driver method ?

Try both.

Was driver was DLed from here ?, there might be problems if the driver was DLed from elsewhere as all those OEM INFs are in the same dir as the driver (our driver has them shifted)

I tried both methods of installation. I did download the driver from here, as well as the .inf file.

post-35-11091743250_thumb.jpg

Edited by ®®®

That error happens if some of the files are tampered with.

I'll have a look a the files on the server.

Ahh, I can see what is going on here, the driver hasn't shifted the INFs at all.

It has at my end :) , this is really spooky.

What you can do is, go to the directory where the driver is then:

Move all the files ending with .inf to a subdir, now copy the modded inf into the driver.

Try again and you'll be laughing.

Or just wait while I sort this, shouldn't be long.

In the mean time, I'll investigate why this happened, it being a different driver and the whole compression uploading process is automated, it might not have allowed for some new variables.

Sorry for inconveniance.

Thanks for looking into it. I'm currently trying to step back to 71.81 till things get sorted out. Please let us know when it's fixed. Thanks for your hard work. :)

Edited by ®®®

Curses, it's now 6:15am and it was never broken to start with.

Ignore what I said above, my brain has turned off.

I have uploaded a new version but it won't help your cause any.

I'm stumped why for some the driver works and other it doesn't.

Pieter the sub dir trick doesn't work with setup routine

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....indpost&p=13924

I'm still playing with this driver (not much time spent on it) but it ran fine after removing all sub dir INFs and using a quicky made by myself.

Ahh that would explain why it works for me as my Solo is no longer in the Gateway INF.

This will require a rethink of the way the drivers are uploaded, curse nVidia.

So what's the prognosis Doc? Is there a special .inf file I need to use to get it to work right with my Inspiron? :)

Thanks

//removed all the unneeded qoutes :)

Edited by ®®®

Guest boris2004

hi i have ge force 6800 ultra :) it work good for on my desktop , i always use modded infos is it better to use defolt info or not :) on my lap top i use modded and on desktop too but i decided to ask :P