LaptopVideo2Go Forums
®®®

v75.90 XP 32bit | NV

LSudlow

It's not because you're using a Dell... It's working for lots of Dell owners, including me. The file must be copying somewhere or you would definitely get an error message.

If you're sure it's not in your System32 folder, try doing a search of your hard drive for it and see what you find.

If all else fails, there are two things you can try. In the [nv.Display] section of your inf, change the following line:

nvhwvid.dll

to:

nvhwvid.dll,nvhwvid.dll,nvhtmp.dll

...and reinstall. (You don't need to uninstall first.)

If that doesn't work, find the [nv_CoInstaller_AddReg] section of the inf. Five lines down, you'll see a line that begins "HKR, Uninstall, CopyFiles" with a list of comma-separated files after it. Add nvhwvid.dll to that list (with a comma, of course). That will force the file to copy regardless of anything else.

Let us know how you make out. Thanks!

SLoweCSL

Thanks for the help. I tried both options and it still is not copied to the System32 directory.

LSudlow

Okay, I know what's happening. The driver set includes lots of OEM infs, none of which use nvhwvid.dll. When you install, your machine is picking its installation information from one of these infs instead of ours.

Make sure you remove ALL of the OEM infs from the driver set, including from any subfolders they might be in. The only inf available must be the one from here.

Get rid of every inf in the file set, then copy ours into the file set and try it again. You should be good to go.

Teraphy

I'd guess that option as well, Larry. If you are getting multiple popups during the setup routine saying to "continue installation" then that is definitely it.

I have an 8600 as well SLoweCSL so I know it works :)

SLoweCSL

That did the trick. Thanks to all of you for your help. You guys are the best. :)

mobilenvidia

NVAIO need to remove the OEM INFs when compressing the driver from now on ?

To stop future things like this.

LSudlow

Probably a good idea, Pieter. It might be the cause of some of the other problems we've heard about.

And SLoweCSL, thanks for getting back to us. We're glad it's working!

:)

Guest j4ever

Pieter -

can you please add support for the geforce 6800 go ULTRA ? the info for it is in the mobile dell and alienware inf that is included in the driver. it is 9.1 while the regullar 6800 is 8.1. also in your info for the 6800 you have it labeled as FX when in fact it is not an FX card. it should be labeled geforce go 6800.

mobilenvidia

j4ever, I have been very slack in not doing that sooner.

v30.64 of my INFs now have support for the NVIDIA go 6800 Ultra.

Corrected the naming of the GPU's as well.

Enjoy

Guest Devastator

couldn't you open a thread where you post the changes in your inf's?

i'm sure people are interested!

mobilenvidia

Something like this http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/pages/updates.htm

I don't tend to say exactly my changes, as I have many that grab my INFs with out any recognition so for those folks I make it as hard as possible.

Guest j4ever

hey thanks for the update! i really appreciate it.

after doing some more research, i found that there are 2 versions of the 6800 go. one is the DDR1/2 version and the other is the DDR3 version.

currently in your inf, you have support for 8.1 = DDR1/2 , but there is another 6800 go to add which is 8.2 = DDR3.

i may be wrong though, but all the sager/eurocom drivers suggest that this is the difference.

®®®

also now completelty added to the Member Profiles selection menu and the mobile VideoBIOS section :) Now it should be possible to update your system specs in the member profile :)

mobilenvidia
hey thanks for the update!  i really appreciate it. 

after doing some more research, i found that there are 2 versions of the 6800 go.  one is the DDR1/2 version and the other is the DDR3 version. 

currently in your inf, you have support for 8.1 = DDR1/2 , but there is another 6800 go to add which is 8.2 = DDR3. 

i may be wrong though, but all the sager/eurocom drivers suggest that this is the difference.

C8.1

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_NV4x_255ENx]
HKR,, InstalledDisplayDrivers,       %REG_MULTI_SZ%, nv4_disp
HKR,, VgaCompatible,                 %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, VPEENABLE,                     %REG_DWORD%,    0
HKR,, RMMaintainDevs,                %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, RMMaintainTVStandard,          %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, DevSwitchSuppressMask,         %REG_DWORD%,    5
HKR,, UseBestResolution,             %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, MapOSD3ToNV,                   %REG_DWORD%,    3
HKR,, "NVZORAN.connector",           %REG_DWORD%,    2
HKR,, OverlayMode2,                  %REG_DWORD%,    1
HKR,, RMPowerSupplyCapacity,         %REG_DWORD%,    2

C8.2

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_NV4x_P71ENx]
HKR,, SoftEDIDs,                     %REG_DWORD%,    1

C9.1

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_NV4x_255ENx]

and

[MXMThermal_AddReg]
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NVTweak,MXMThermalControl,%REG_DWORD%,1
HKLM,Software\"NVIDIA Corporation"\Global\NVTweak,SilentModeControl,%REG_DWORD%,1

Here is what happens the 2 go 6800's run the same settings as above.

The only difference is C8.2 has SoftEDID's command but this is for the screen (EDID) not the Video, not really needed as it's default value is 1 anyway.

So there is no settings just for the DD3 Memory.

The go 6800 Ultra runs the same settings as the normal go 6800 and also the MXM settings above.

This will be for that fact that the Ultra runs @66watts and MXM is specified for 35w max.

But the Dell XPS2 runs a propietry MXM slot that can't be used in other MXM slots as it uses so much power.

That is why you will probably not see a laptop with an Ultra and a desktop P4 CPU.

As the 2 combined will be over 100w, the power adapter required would be the size of a Desktops power supply.

Adding in the HD, CD, screen, USB etc etc the thing would gobble far too much power.

So that is why I only have 1 setting in my INFs for the go 6800 and all other GPU's as the video BIOS detects what RAM is present and sets things accordingly.

I hope this explains things a little better, not easy to explain.

Guest C810_user
That did the trick. Thanks to all of you for your help. You guys are the best.

Hello,

Does your machine have any problem coming out of standby with 75.90 after all?

Dell Latitude C810, Pentium III 1.13 GHz, 15" UXGA 1600x1200 IBM

512 MB SDRAM, 20GB Hard Drive, Windows XP Professional [sP2]

FlashBIOS Version A12

32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 Go, NVIDIA 7.1.8.0

SLoweCSL

I still had the stand-by resume troubles. I went back to the 71.84 and I like these drivers much better. No stand-by problems.

SLoweCSL
Anyone having trouble with 75.90, should give 71.84 a try when it becomes available. It has all the new features of 75.90 (except the Quadro version of the xml file) on a much more polished and stable driver base. The new video driver, nvhwvid.dll is included as well. This version should solve the installation, stability, and video playback problems some of you have been reporting. Let us know!

I'm using 71.84 now and the nvhwvid.dll file is in my System32 directory. I made sure to enable VMR in the NVidia control panel as well as add the registry settings for PowerDVD 6 and made sure PowerDVD was set to hardware acceleration.

From what I have tested there seems to be no quality difference between enableing VMR or using overlays. The only thing I have noticed is that the playback seems choppier with VMR on.

LSudlow

VMR is the newer (and preferred) technology, but nvhwvid.dll may function in Overlay mode too. I don't really know. VMR is much more processor intensive than Hardware Overlay, which means it does cause lag (choppiness) on some machines.

Nvhwvid.dll's main function is to improve de-interlacing (progressive scan) to handle motion better. Sequences with a lot of motion are where to look for improvement. I suspect this file is a very big part of nvidia's new PureVideo technology. The Series 6 GPUs probably have some built-in muscle for handling this file without any lag.

Anyway, I'm lucky. I don't notice any lag on my Dell 5150 and movie sequences with lots of motion are much clearer for me than previously. I had always assumed blurriness during rapid motion was due to a slow-responding LCD screen, but it's almost completely clear now.

Jeroen

Hello,

this may be a silly question, but how do you enable VMR in the nvdidia control pannel???

I know how to open it in my app(s) where I play my video's with, but not in the control pannel...

thx

jeroen

mobilenvidia
Hello,

this may be a silly question, but how do you enable VMR in the nvdidia control pannel???

I know how to open it in my app(s) where I play my video's with, but not in the control pannel...

thx

jeroen

Jeroen,

If your using my INF, then you'll find it in the "video overlay settings' page.

It's normally not enabled by default and needs a tweak.

Enjoy,

Jeroen

Oh thanks!

I already thaugh it was there, but I never found it, it is a small check mark in the linker bottom, I didn't see that it was there, I have been searching for that for hours!! :)

thx pieter!

Jeroen.

Guest lotuseater

hi guys!

I'm sorry 'cause I'm a newbye...

I just wanted to know if I can use the drivers I found on www.laptopvideo2go.com on my notebook packard bell H5285 with an nvidia go 5100..

I use it for graphic purposes such as 3dsmax and photoshop and I'm trying to improve its performances. But as said before I don't know so much about this kind of things...

some pitiful expert can suggest me a performing driver that improve my video card without loosing the system stability?

thanx so much

bye

thomas

LSudlow

Yes, the drivers here should work for you. The most stable of the newer drivers is 71.84, so I would start with that one. Let us know if you have any trouble with it.

Good luck!