LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DeadPixelBuddy | Tool to locate "Dead Pixels" @ LCDs

######, seems we have to live with it. Next time a Samsung. I told him before (my Boss :) )

Yeah, especially when the SGI (Silicon Graphics Inc) 1600SW costed $2500 when I bought it through Dell a few years ago. It's made by Mitsubishi Industrial in Japan. The backorder took like 2-3 months and I didn't want to return it and wait another 2-3 months again.

:) 2500$ ?!? For a display?!? That was the price of my Laptop in 2002. Heck!

Yep, do a search on the Silicon Graphics Inc 1600SW, it was regarded as the monitor that the Executives of Fortune 500 companies had on their desks including Bill Gates. It's basically the smaller version of the original Apple 22" LCD display which was $4000 when it was made by Mitsubishi and then was dropped to $3000 when it was made by LG. My notebooks back in 1999-2002 all costed $5000 or more.

Here is a review posted in 1999 about it:

http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/sg1600swlcd.htm

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

Does anybody know of a DeadPixelBuddy equivalent that can be ran from DOS?

I'm about to take delivery of a new laptop and would like to test it for dead pixels before going through the initial WinXP setup process. Then, if there are any pixels missing, I can return it before having 'used' it.

Or is there some simple windows-based boot disk I could use that could load from CD that would allow me to run DeadPixelBuddy and not write anything to the hard drive?

Cheers,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

You can build a WinPE disk which is a live Windows CD using BART and then add in Dead Pixel detector.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

DeadPixeltester v2.30 is out:

mainscreen.gif

Get the tool here (no installation orgy, 1 file .EXE):

http://www.dataproductservices.com/dpt

Instructions (as it's not obvious how to test:

Move the window by grabbing the border at any location

this is a very nice program! thanks.

• 1 year later...