LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Blank Display :(

Guest Nin_10_Dough

Guest Nin_10_Dough

I was referred here by Bill :)

I have a IBM thinkpad 390 ( oldie ) model 2626-70U. It's running 2000 pro. It can output to crt just fine, but the lcd is blank even when I set it as the initial boot display, won't even show the bios screen. The lcd lights up and gives off a "glow" but nothing actually on the screen.

any ideas?

Unfortunately if it doesn't even show the BIOS stuff during startup it's probably a hardware failure.

Do any of you guys know how he would go about checking the connection from the LCD to the GF card, or whatever, or where he could order a replacement screen?

He got that laptop from a friend for free, because it was broken.

Eitherway, the laptop itself still works, and if you can't fix it and dont' want a half broken laptop, you could maybe sell parts of it or the whole thing on ebay.

See if you can find a service manual or user manual for that model online somewhere. They frequently show how to dissasemble for cleaning and maintenance. There may even be a parts list that would help.

On the info given, I would say, most likely the inverter is buggered.

This is the controller between the GPU and the LCD, it basicly controls the LCD display. (converts the signal from CRT to LCD signal (LCD sort of work backwards)

The reason why you see nothing and the CRT still works (which doesn't use an inverter)

The inverter is replacable, Ebay will have them, but can be tricky to replace as it means pulling the machine apart.

The inverter will be near the top of the machine usually near one of the hinges that has the cable to the LCD.

It is usually also on a seperate wee board that is removable.

Fiddly little cables run from the MB to it and then go to the LCD.

The cables need to be very carefully inserted into their sockets as this can also cause the LCD from not working (Check this first, and if the cable is broken at all from being bent or pinched by the hinge)

To get this replaced by a shop will cost a fortune, best done your self.

I assume the warrenty ran out a long time ago, as this is an ancient model.

I hope this helps, I can only guess that it's this, as it's the most likely cause of your problem.

It could be other things at fault, so don't just take my word for it.

Guest Nin_10_Dough

Most people who I have asked about it thought it was probably a hardware failure. If I can't find a service manual to see how to disassemble it, I'll probably ebay it.

Hello,

i think this can help you, it's some kind of hardware maintance manual (or something) about that notebook!

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?r...ZRKLH&loc=en_US

this is the site where I found it, otherwise, you can download the pdf directly by this link:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/390hmm.pdf

Hopely you can fix that problem (I also think the problem is caused by the inverter!)

Guest Nin_10_Dough

*high fives Jeroen*

that does show the parts, now I just need to figure out how to take it apart.

Wow, guests can post attachments!

This is the illuminated lcd I was talking about. I shut the flash off, but the glow is still a bit exagerated.

Guest Nin_10_Dough

Sorry for the double post, Bill just told me I can't hit preview or I lose the attachment. So I'll try again.

Can someone please combine these posts?

post-3-11107428220_thumb.jpg