LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v72.30 XP 32bit | GERICOM | HP/COMPAQ | SAGER

®®®

:: UPDATES

• 04-JUL-2005: repacked/reuploaded driver to include SAGER's INF
  • 03-APR-2005: HP/COMPAQ released this driver with MultiLanguage files (we merged both and reuploaded it)

:: DETAILS

v72.30 | LV2Go Information file

• mobile driver for 2K.XP
  • with WHQL certification
  • released by GERICOM for GF Go6600 series
  • also released by SAGER for NP3880
    also released by COMPAQ/HP for 420 Go & 440 Go (!)
  • more & detailed informations in the LV2Go Information file
  • supported GPUs:
    SAGER:
    • %NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0148.1% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0148&SUBSYS_038A1558
      NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0148.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600"

Gericom:

• %NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0148.2% = nv4_KN1, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0148&SUBSYS_0729152D
      NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0148.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 "

COMPAQ/HP:

• %NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0176.1% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0176&SUBSYS_006D103C
      %NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0179.1% = nv4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0179&SUBSYS_006D103C
      NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0176.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go 32M"
      NVIDIA_NV17.DEV_0179.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64M"

:: OPEN ISSUES

As with every released driver, version 72.3x of the Release 70 drivers has open issues and enhancement requests associated with it. What follows is a list of issues that are either not fixed or not implemented in this version. Some problems listed may not have been thoroughly investigated and, in fact, may not be NVIDIA issues. Others will have workaround solutions.

:: ISSUES RESOLVED

Significant issues resolved in driver version 72.3x

• Provides the latest driver to support new games.

:: OPINION [*by LSudlow]

:: BENCHMARKS [*by LSudlow]

driver performance comparison charts for some GPUs

for GF2 Go: HERE from Pieter (v16.20 - v61.77)

for FX Go5200: HERE from Larry (v5x.xx - current)

for FX Go5700: HERE from Sky-Dexter (v65.73 - current)

for GF Go 6200: HERE from AJH (v70.75 - current)

:: DOWNLOAD & x-click-but21.gif

This and all other drivers available at LaptopVideo2Go are 7-zipped and come as a self-extracting archive for your convenience. We take care that your download time/traffic is minimized by compressing the driver in an optimized way. The method we had developed first is a service that you'll only find here proper working.

LV2Go Information file[/b]

Pieter's mobile INF modified for v72.30

Larry's DELL 5150/5160 optimized INF

John's DELL 8200/M50 optimized INF

Jeroen's MEDiON 41300 optimized INF

Teraphy's "PHP INF enhancement" page

nVLiTE page

Edited by ®®®

Finally found HP version over on the Compaq server, and have combined the HP and Gericom versions (HP bigger with more international support).

Added the International support to the original INF (v30.68a), if your english only then no need to reinstall, driver as no other changes.

Over @ Guru3D they report quite a jump in perfromance with these.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just liberated Forceware 72.091 from Dell's FTP. They were originally for a couple of their laptop units, but I modded the inf and got the installer to work with my desktop SLi setup.

I made a hybrid inf from one of Pieter's infs and the original, so it should work for you guys, too.

Get it at Tweaks R Us

Nice one JRD1st! :)

Hello, I own a Compaq R3340US laptop with the Geforce 4 440 go 64m GPU. Now when I bought the laptop about half a year ago, it came with driver 47.16. Well I attempted to download and install some up-to-date drivers, and came accross this forume which had said Compaq/HP had released the 72.30 drivers.. So I download them, install them to find out I suffer from a fairly hefty FPS drop in serveral games including MOHAA, Quake2 and Doom3 as well as a 600 drop in score from 4500 to 3900 in 3DMark2001SE.

This is with the 72.30 drivers from NVIDIA.COM

I then went on a crazy driver installation spree downloading many drivers from this site and others, installing, testing, uninstalling, more testing and came to the conclusion that the original drivers from which came with my laptop (47.16) were the fastest drivers based on FPS scores in the games above and the 3DMark2001SE scores...

My question is, what in the hell is going on here? Is this normal? I'm using Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out old driver files before installing new ones... I would think that newer drivers would provide somewhat of a performance increase.. But a decrease?? Please help! Thanks

Brad

Welcome to the reality of nVidia drivers. Newer drivers may support new features and new cards, and they may fix bugs, but they seldom provide better performance. The exception seems to be when nvidia creates a new generation of cards. Early drivers are not yet optimized for the new chips, so performance will steadily improve for a while. But at some point there are no more gains to be found and even newer cards have been released, which now must be supported.

As each generation of driver is optimized for each new generation of hardware, the driver performance declines for previous cards. The 7x.xx drivers, for example are optimized for cards with at least 128MB of RAM, so those of us with 64MB or less now see slower performance.

For your card, the 4x.xx drivers are indeed the fastest. The problem is that they aren't fully DX9 or XP SP2 compatible and may not work with newer games or applications. The trick then becomes to find the best driver that supports the software you want to run.

Many of the discussion threads here are devoted to this very issue, so feel free to join the fray. And welcome aboard!

:)

Ok, well that about sums it up then hu?? LOL Thanks alot for your time and reply! I guess I will have to test out various 4x.xx drivers and find the best FPS performance out of them for my applications like you had said. I will check out the forum you stated as well. Thanks alot, and I'm happy to be aboard! Very nice site here with ALOT of valuable informtion! Thanks!

Brad

Let us know what you find to be best for you, it may help shed some light for others as well :)

John