LaptopVideo2Go Forums

15� LCD screen resolutions � What resolution is op

Guest Inspiron8100

Guest Inspiron8100

I?m having problem with my native screen resolution of 1400x1050.

I tried already to adjust this high resolution, but when I change DPI setting to 144dpi from normal 96dpi, everything mess around, icons in the toolbars are distorted, some of the programs are not following this DPI change, everything looks funny.

I?m wondering is something wrong with my laptop, is it supposed to be like that or not? I can?t imagine how does it look having 15? LCD and 1600x1200 and higher resolutions.

Am I wrong or the 1024x768 resolution or slightly higher is only good resolution for 15? monitors? I see that market is moving toward wide screen editions. Is that going to remain in the future?

If you?re about to buy new laptop what will be your preferred screen resolution and why?

Thank you.

Dan

My 15" 1600x1200 looks great, and hey, I like it. I guess it is a bit of a high resolution for a 15" monitor, but I really like having a bunch of things open and visible on my computer. It's just a matter of opinion, but next time I look for a laptop, I'll probably get a freakishly high resolution one agian.

I have the same size screen as you and find the following looks good:

1. Set your DPI (under general display settings) to 128 DPI (133% of normal).

2. Under Display Properties\Appearance\Effects check the "Use Large Icons" box.

3. Run the attached screen theme, which will set many of your screen elements to good (in my opinion) sizes.

It may not be entirely to your taste, but it should be a good place to start.

Personal_Best_133.Theme

I was REALLY going to answer your question. But I just lost my magic ball last week. :)

I think both formats will be with us for a while. But yes, I do think the trend will continue toward widscreen (for screens of all types, not just laptops).