LaptopVideo2Go Forums

ALPS Touchpad - latest drivers

Bill

Guest Nemesisdb

7.1x02.101.102 (7.1102.101.102)

http://ftp.us.dell.com/input/Dell_Touchpad----Pointing-St_A14_R270649.exe

Fixes:

------

- Fixes issues from previous driver causing the loss of middle button functionality the M4400

- Changed the scroll message for Outlook to wheel message.(to fix Outlook 2010 scroll issue)

- Changed the operation of the Pad Zoom function. (Doesn't keep outputting Ctrl key)

Improvements:

-------------

- Significant Palm Rejection (TouchCheck) Improvements:

- Improved performance by requiring the cursor to move a certain distance before taps are re-enabled after typing

- TouchCheck now inhibits all input (taps, cursor movement, scrolling, gestures) while typing

- Changed the timeout range of TouchCheck function

• 3 weeks later...

7.1x02.101.102 (7.1102.101.102)

http://ftp.us.dell.com/input/Dell_Touchpad----Pointing-St_A14_R270649.exe

Fixes:

------

- Fixes issues from previous driver causing the loss of middle button functionality the M4400

- Changed the scroll message for Outlook to wheel message.(to fix Outlook 2010 scroll issue)

- Changed the operation of the Pad Zoom function. (Doesn't keep outputting Ctrl key)

Improvements:

-------------

- Significant Palm Rejection (TouchCheck) Improvements:

- Improved performance by requiring the cursor to move a certain distance before taps are re-enabled after typing

- TouchCheck now inhibits all input (taps, cursor movement, scrolling, gestures) while typing

- Changed the timeout range of TouchCheck function

this one gives me a jittery mouse and breaks clicking functionality on Dell D820 Win7 x64

• 4 weeks later...

Great success!

Please read this if you are unsatisfied with the Dell drivers for "Dell" or ALPS touchpads. In my humble opinion, they suck hard.

Anyway, while the Sony drivers remain inaccessible to me due to the hardware check, and Toshiba seems to have stopped updating its ALPS drivers, Acer drivers remain as open as ever.

Consequently, I pulled two wonderful drivers that seem to work on both multitouch and non-multitouch models. They are accessible at Acer's netbook support site. They both have inertial scrolling, disable tap-to-click while typing by default, and offer USB mouse options. The differences are as follows:

Current Acer AO533 ALPS Driver for Win7:

Acer's Date: 6/23/2010

From INF: DriverVer = 04/08/2010, 7.105.2002.1115

Attributes: This driver does not allow you to set the tap-to-click timeout when typing, but it is enabled by default. This driver uses a heavy smoothing algorithm, meaning that there is a slight delay between a finger movement and cursor movement, but you will have very few unintentional, erratic movements. This driver also provides for the best TrackStyk movement I have seen so far: it is now almost as good as the TrackPoint on ThinkPad models.

Link: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/TouchPad_ALPS_7.5.2002.1115_W7x86_A.zip?acerid=634128686852517204&Step1=Netbook&Step2=Aspire%20One&Step3=AO533&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_7

Current Acer AO721 ALPS Driver for Win7:

Acer's Date: 5/24/2010

From INF: DriverVer = 03/03/2010, 7.106.2015.1104

Attributes: This driver does allow you to set the tap-to-click timeout when typing. This driver, unlike the previous one, should be called the ADVANCED driver in that there is almost no delay and almost no smoothing algorithm applied to cursor movement. Otherwise it seems to be the same. I believe I saw this driver installed by default on a Sony netbook last time I was at Best Buy.

Link: http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/TouchPad_ALPS_7.106.2015.1104_W7x86W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634102678458773680&Step1=Netbook&Step2=Aspire%20One&Step3=AO721&OS=722&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_7

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kortex

Which driver should I use on a dell D630 running win7 x64? I have tried the two in the above and they cause the buttons to stop working and the pointer to be jittery :\.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to mention that after two months use of the version A14_R270649.exe, it is really bug free for my DELL XPS M1530.

All the benefits like circular zoom and customized interface of the DELL drivers are present alongside with some fixes of the animated cursors (working) and an addition the touchpad isn't working during the typing operation(caused many mistypes before).

I think that driver is the best from DELL after almost two years of waiting :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone know of any newer drivers? I think I still posted the newest at 6/23/2010.

I used the non-smoothed driver for quite some time (1104), but now I'm sick of it and I'm going back to training-wheels smoothed bliss (1115).

My last exam is tomorrow; hopefully in the upcoming weeks I'll remember to look for a newer driver. I need to check Acer, Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Asus.

• 2 weeks later...

I went back to 1111.

I think I was frustrated with 1115 since the texture on my Dell Precision M4400 (same as Latitude E6500) has gotten "sticky" over time. This is despite cleaning with ethyl alcohol.

Anyway, 1111 wasn't optimized for netbooks like 1115 was. I think 1115 was really designed for tiny trackpads to use lots of acceleration and smoothing. 1111 is a little more natural.

UPDATE:

03/02/2011, 7.106.303.204 is the latest, from Toshiba's website. Unbranded as far as I can tell.

As for other vendors:

Too lazy to do manual extraction for Sony drivers; one driver is from 02/2011. Dell's latest is for the M4600 and E6520, and is from 03/2011, but I hate the crappy GUI.

Fujitsu also requires manual extraction. Panasonic's are very old. Asus doesn't use ALPS at all; only Synaptics and Elantech. HP only used ALPS on the HP Mini 1000 with Ion, but that's out of date now. There are no new drivers under Acer netbooks. Checking all the notebooks takes forever, so I'm going to hold off on that one.

Edited by NighTalon

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of a driver that will enable back and forward functions and circular scrolling? I have tried most posted here and all seem to give one or the other but not both. I think the latest VAIO driver posted above would be perfect if it included back and forward functions.

Thanks a lot for help.

Hi this is the very latest ALPS TouchPad (Pointing-device) drivers Version 7.6.303.111 for Windows 2000/2003/Xp 32/64bits and Windows Vista/Seven 32/64bits.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/alps.htm :)

Regards ! :)

Driver works great.

Fully functional in newer browsers such as Chrome.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me which is the best driver for Dell Vostro 3750 running Windows 7 64-bit? System came with Alps driver and has never worked correctly despite numerous attempts by Dell to fix it. Always locking up and acting erratic.

• 8 months later...
Guest Guest

I have an Alps desktop glidepoint mouse and have a dell computer with windows 7. I have bought a PS2 to usb connector but nothing happens when I p;lug it in? any advice appreciated.

• 2 years later...

Alps touchpad drivers receive few updates from computer manufacturers and there no generic ones provided on their web site (and they're sometimes buggy).

if they are acting "erratically" just uninstall them and use the built-in generic PS2 mouse driver provided by the Windows operating system.