LaptopVideo2Go Forums

xp-AntiSpy

sn0wl

xp-AntiSpy is a little utility that lets you disable some built-in update and authentication 'features' in WindowsXP.

For example, there's a service running in the background which is called 'Automatic Updates'. I don't know what this service transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you like, you can even disable these functions manually, by going through the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes. This will take you approximately half an hour. But why wast time when a little neat utility can do the same in 1 minute? This utility was successfully tested by lots of users, and was found to disable all the known 'Suspicious' Functions in WindowsXP. It's customiseable, but comes up with the Default settings, which are recommended.

screenshot.gif

Download xp-AntiSpy v3.94 English

Home Page of xp-AntiSpy(other languages are also available in site)

It has some nice features, but beware of some of the tweaks and apply only if you know what they really does. Some of the functions are really not recommend and can lead to a failing/unsecure or just castrated OS.

examples:

disable/turn off/unregister Windows Update service (?! and not getting notified about updates?)

unregister ZIPfldr.dll (why would you disable an easy-to-use and comfortable function, and instead install 3rd party software?)

unregister regwizc and licdll !? :)

disable TimeServer Synchronization (?! double click your clock in the tray and replace the MS/Gov ones with a new timeserver from some university or Atom Clock: ptbtime1.ptb.de)

disable Error Reporting !?! (why would you not help MS to fix bugs?)

delete swapfile when Shutdown ?! (and then wonder why XPshutdown needs much longer when rebooting/shutdown?)

useful in my opinion are the WMP features, as they really send out info.

Don't use this @ work.

good post though :) :P

Yep, I only use some of the settings like you said but who knows, even the ones you listed might be annoying for some. It could alse be used for testing purposes.

Where is the thank you button when you need it?

I will have to try this out sometime....

Nice find! :)

Maybe this should be moved to utilities? It has nice features as well like disabling MSN when you open Outlook. Thanks Bill :)

It's been around since the early days of XP and there was such a hype about it on german computer related sites and every german computer mag, that everybody knows it here in DE until.... until (most times) unexperienced users complained in a lot of forums, that there computer does not works anymore as they clicked almost everything and XPAntiSpy was not able to revert it/or User didn't know what must be clicked to revert (dependancies).

Now it has a bad fame for letting the USer believe in higher security and just use the wrong settings and descriptions.

Here is an opinion written in german (HERE translated to English, which exactly reflects what i'm thinking about it.