LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Battlefield 2 - a suggestion which driver to use

Bill

Guest damnvidia

:) Hi gays ... got the same problem with my go 6600 :( can play F.E.A.R on medium or high but cant start battlefield 2 :) blackscreen and back to desctop .. and nothing helps :P

but look what i`ve got in windowed mode

any idias how it can be fixed ?

post-12-11293774550_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• Night Fire

• Fabrice Roux

• ggtronic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest AngelicDunce

Ok, well i've been traking this thread for quiet a while now, 4 months or so, and stil no rock solid solution to my problem. I've tried a bunch of different drivers and still i can't get bf2 to run, i get that black screen and crash to the desktop problem also saw the same problem in window mode, that "it does not suppoert dynamic 800x600 resolution.

Again my laptop is the Toshiba satellite m40 yp3

with the nvidia 6600 go 128 ddr not shared.

I would really would like a proper solution to running bf2 under the newer drivers!

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I have more time now and will try finding the solution again. I'm also suprised that after this much time has passed people still can't find a fix. Here are some things that worked for me btw:

Install the Toshiba display drivers from Toshiba's site -> old arse drivers but they work, shadows look terrible

I remember that I got some relatively newer DHZeroPoint ones to work once and then when I updated with newer DHZeroPoint it completely corrupted something in my system and no drivers would work except for the Toshiba's ones from their site. This leads me to thinking that DriverClearner might not be deleting all the stuff that nVidia + DHZeroPoint is putting into the system?? I'll post here more often now.

Guest AngelicDunce

Ok, well if tryed so many different drivers and none works for BF2 with my toshiba m40 yp3 6600go. Only the original 71.70, will run the game, but the shadows are all squares! Is weird cause Doom3 works good with the newer drivers, just bf2 will crash with that 800x600 not supported error!

Its been 4 months since this error has been raised! and no solutions! grrrr, what to do?

There are 2 keys to updating the drivers:

First is to ensure you have the updated INF (which you mentioned you did) and that it is placed in the extracted drivers folder (you will get a prompt to overwrite an existing file of the same name when you copy it there). Once there, this shows the other key step:

Step_13.png

found in the update/install instructions here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=33

You have to TELL Windows to use the drivers as it will still choose to not use them if it has the choice to.

For toshiba M40 users, I used this method with the toshiba v78.82 released drivers(without the moded .inf) to fix my BF2 CTD(Crash To Desktop) problem.

For toshiba M40 users, I used this method with the toshiba v78.82 released drivers(without the moded .inf) to fix my BF2 CTD(Crash To Desktop) problem.

Hi! I'd like to know where from you downloaded the drivers u used!

Thanks!

Guest AngelicDunce

I downloaded the drives from toshiba "drivers download section" for Qosmio or something like that G20 laptop it has an official toshiba 78.82 release but only specific for that model.

I tryed installing it with out the modified INF file, but i got to a point where i got a warning, "Windows does not recognize the drivers being install for the hardware and it may cause ur computer to become unstable or even stop working at all"

This kinda turn me off, i duno if its worth the risk!

Is that what u did Alkaholikc? did you install even with that warning?

Thanks

Wow, why haven't I thought of that :) Will try it right now, I didn't spend all this money on my M40 for nothing. s***, actually I can't, I've got 4 exams coming up. This better work when winter break comes. :)

For everyone with the mouse problems, please check out the bottem of the first post.

Haha, it's in EA's best interests to fix this and start supporting GO series officially or I'm not buying Special Forces expansion. muahahha.

Try 81.94... I'm running it now on a Tosh go6600 (tho at 1400x1050) with no problems.. SF runs sweet as too.

Guest Brian-c

I found the 77.62 driver performed best for BF2. However it stank for Quake 4. The 82.10 driver worked well for Quake 4 but guess what??? It was crap for BF2. So i either alternate between drivers of put up with bad performance with 1 game. Yep hard line Quake 4, BF2 is just too good. A happy medium would be nice but hey, we can't have it all.

Currently looking for the best BF2 special forces driver as the 77.62 doesn't perform half as well as it did with standard Bf2. :) Must be all the lighting effects or something........Had a chance to test Special Forces Bill??

I suppose it depends on what a person would call performance, or what they expect from their system. But tbh i enjoy the eye candy BF2 has to offer and if it means squeezing every bit of power out my little laptop then so be it! BF2 ran super smooth with all but 2 settings on max with the 77.62 but somehow will only run decent on medium settings across the board for Special Forces. Res 800x600...Any super new drivers in the pipeline Bill??

system= Gericom

go 6600

1024 ddr

1.7 Centrino

Your talking about BF2 special forces? (its an update right?)

Well, because of EAs (greedy?) idiotic decision, the game will not run on my graphics card, even though it has been proven that the GeForce4 Ti cards can run the game. They go way out of their way to make it not compatible.

Only PC we currently have that can run it is my brothers IXPS GEN2 M117 (GF7800GTX go), maybe if I burn the demo on a CD hell try it, hes to addicted to WOW to bother playing anything worthy of running on a GF7800GTXGo, although the game does look nice with EVERYTHING POSSIBLE turned all the way up/on, and it still probably gets a framerate 2 to 5 times what the screen can actually display.

Anyway I have plans for building a new PC, might actually happen next year. (much to my wallent's dismay)

The first thing I might get for Xmas is that Dell 24inch 1920x1200 LCD monitor, have to have a good screen for my new PC.

Your talking about BF2 special forces? (its an update right?)

Well, because of EAs (greedy?) idiotic decision, the game will not run on my graphics card, even though it has been proven that the GeForce4 Ti cards can run the game. They go way out of their way to make it not compatible.

Yeah it's a bit rude of them!

Yes, grabbed the special forces expansion yesterday. The night maps are a little more demading on the GPU, so if you already struggle to run vanilla BF2 then be warned, a few people that were only borderline playable before find that they can't play the night maps at all.

Currently looking for the best BF2 special forces driver as the 77.62 doesn't perform half as well as it did with standard Bf2.sad.gif Must be all the lighting effects or something........Had a chance to test Special Forces Bill??

Runs nicely for me on 81.95.. the 82.** drivers seem flaky on BF2, good fps but poor IQ.

I got 78.82 working!!!! :) This what I did:

1. Installed original Toshiba drivers 71.70 - the setup manages to delete your previous drivers better then Driver Cleaner so it will fix your machine no matter how messed up your drivers are

2. Ran the game, made sure it created the profile folder in My Documents.

3. Installed 78.32 through "update driver" in the hardware manager. BF2 works and most importantly now my video settings look different, there's a laptop in the advanced settings and a button for [GEFORCE 6600 GO]

(if the game doesn't run, try deleting your profiles folder but I didn't have to, I think it's better not to because the profile created from 71.70 has preserved the settings from the good drivers methinks.

4. RUN THE GAME, to check if you've done everything correctly and in case Profiles folder updates itself

5. Now, download 78.82 and do the "update driver" think but here's the important part (You will see a list of possible hard drive devices to install from the driver. There will be two 6200's and a whole bunch of 6600 GO. The first 6600 did NOT work from me and the second one did. Restart your computer and the game should run. If it still doesn't try deleting the Profiles folder. If that doesn't help try installing different 6600 from the 78.82 drivers in the same manner. Basically, experiment, I went through half the 7x.xx series of drivers trying things out before I got it working. Also don't forget to occasionally install the original drivers if you completely mess up because it cleans everything out and you can have a fresh start. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

Bill, can you delete my 3 posts of rambling above plz?

Edit by Bill: Your wish is my command.... (goes back into magic lamp)

Edit by K-ral: :)

Edited by KirillZ

• 3 weeks later...

gettting the sound propertys to lowest setting do solve my mouse probleme

thanks BILL

had try the 81.95 ( official NVIDIA release ! )

BF2 run fine and stable ( low res. low quality )

some custom map wont load on single player , but its probably normal

( abadon map pack )

seems OK on multi ( creating server... )

thanks again for thoses driver

had try the 81.95 ( official NVIDIA release ! ) , and map

wont load on single player .

seems OK on multi ( creating server... )

Did it work before you upgraded?

Try clearing out some of the settings files in your documents folders for the game (in My Documents), that might fix it.

Edit: I just saw your edit.

I was going to recomend that if you send bomb threats to EA, they might listen to their customers. :)

Disclamer: I do not support sending bomb threats to anybody, you do so at your own risk, and we take no responsibility)

You might want to check out Creatives USB2 or PCMCIA audigy 2 sound cards.

Edit: Your not the guy with the severe sound problems in every game, but that might not be a bad idea, cause you could enjoy full 7.1 advanced Hi-Def EAX surround sound in BF2 with that. Could consider it a self bought Christmas present. :santa_smiley: (newegg should carry them for a good price)

Edited by Bill

custom map was not loading before BILL , its OK

what about patch 1.12 ? anybody had success running that s*** patch ?

my desktop ( ATi X850XT ) cannot run the game with 1.12 patch , and

my laptop cannot either

i am working with EA about this patch , and they just send me anoying

proposition for beginners... ( re-install the game... bla bla bla ... )

• 2 weeks later...
Ive tried pretty much every driver on the site and still cant get bf2 to run on my xps gen2 (gf go 6800 ultra)... The first splash screen comes up, then the monitor flickers black like its loading the game, but just drops right back to desktop. Getting seriously frustrated with this ###### thing.

Will running nerd give any info that will help figure out whats going on with this?

thanks,

john

Well I know it does run beautifully on an XPS Gen 2 cuz its all I ever play BF2 on. Your problem to me sounds like a refresh rate issue. Look for the video.con files in subfolders inside "My Documents\Battlefield 2" ( do a search for the file ) and make sure every resolution used in the "VideoSettings.setResolution" uses 60hz only.

I had a friend who had this very same problem when he changed from one monitor to another. It might help.

Also, open up the shortcut to Battlefield 2 and change the "Fullscreen 1" to "Fullscreen 0". BF2 will try to run in a window, and it might report the error in a window. For some stupid reason the game will not report errors to logs or in a window when running full screen.

Of course once the problem is solved you can change it back to full screen.

Well, I hope these tips help.

Rickmanx

1.12 does run for me, but performance is down a little.

For BF2-ers, 81.98 with Pieters brand new 32.10 inf is a dream.

• 1 month later...

its now OK with 1.12 .

EA patch creat some corruption into

temp folders , and probably in soms REG files to , and you just

cant get rig of them ,some how ounce you failed ...?

had to copy the entire game folder from one of my friend to

run the game on 1.12.

I can see with my gForce4 4200 BF2 is not going to happen, so next in line would be Half Life 2 is there any hope of me being able to update my non-supported card to be able to play HL2?! Keeping my fingers crossed, Eni!

post-2740-1139864633_thumb.jpg

HL2 ran fine on my GF 440 go (older card than yours, was only DX7)

HL2 also runs even better on my Quadro, which is an NV28 64MB just like your card. (my card that I am currently using is the Quadro version of your card, built to work in the I8200/I8100 family)

Once you get the newer drivers it should run just fine, just don't expect any fancy stuff like High Dynamic Range lighting or super high graphics settings and the like, our hardware is too old and slow. (atleast as far as HL2 is concerned)

You might as well give up on BF2, they intentionally make it not compatible with our cards, even though it has been proven it can run.

Basically as far as we are concered EA just lost themselves 2 customers.