LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Battlefield 2 - a suggestion which driver to use

Bill

I haven't heard of any such problems as you are having, does it happen with other games or just this one?

I've run this game off my laptop, desktop (both XP and 64) and it is runnign fine. I use to have problems with 1.0, but the patches have sorted that out (drop to desktop when loading).

Have a crack i nthe www.battlefield2.com forums, or www.totalbf2.com ,they may be able to help.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• Night Fire

• Fabrice Roux

• ggtronic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brightness and contrast has nothing to do with your problem... I haven't installed BF2 (I have 2 copies that came with mobo and graphic card) but I'm pretty sure there is a GAMMA slider that allows to compensate a poor screen.

ps: BTW use your A+ grade to fix the return key on your keyboard.

• 1 month later...
Guest Sylvain

Ok I just recently bought my laptop and attempted to run BF2 on it. It has all of the symptoms of the refresh rate problem and I've tried all of the above and am still having no luck. I'm kinda a newb when it comes to driver updates but not to computers. I have a geforce go 7600. Is there anyone who has the same wiveo card that can tell me step by step how to fix this problem so I can play tis game? Any help appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davit

OK here is how you fix BF2 problem without messing with the drivers.

Go to

My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default

Find the file called VIdeo.con

Open it with the notepad. Its gonna look like this:

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 1

VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 1

VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 1

VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 0

VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 0

VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 1

VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 2

VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 1

VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@60Hz

VideoSettings.setAntialiasing Off

VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 0.75

VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 0

The line thats highlighted need to have refresh rate changed. Do not change the resolution!!!! Just the refresh rate to your laptops default rate, or to the rate that you are running now. For example my refresh rate is 63Hz so file should look like this:

VideoSettings.setTerrainQuality 1

VideoSettings.setGeometryQuality 1

VideoSettings.setLightingQuality 1

VideoSettings.setDynamicLightingQuality 0

VideoSettings.setDynamicShadowsQuality 0

VideoSettings.setEffectsQuality 1

VideoSettings.setTextureQuality 2

VideoSettings.setTextureFilteringQuality 1

VideoSettings.setResolution 800x600@63Hz

VideoSettings.setAntialiasing Off

VideoSettings.setViewDistanceScale 0.75

VideoSettings.setVideoOptionScheme 0

Im running the latest nvidia driver, well one of em anyway 91.31 and it runs just fine.

The problem is not your driver or your video card, its the refresh rate, as some of the laptops can ran only certain number.

Good Luck, enjoy

The problem is not your driver or your video card, its the refresh rate, as some of the laptops can ran only certain number.

You describe the problem the wrong way... the laptop screen has a given refresh rate but the Battlefield dev studio is TOO DUMB TO RETRIEVE THE SUPPORTED REFRESH RATE. So it uses 60 Hz as only possible value... which gives a nice crash when your screen works at 59 Hz or 61 Hz.

So point your RPG in the DICE direction...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Henrik

Hi Bill

I wanna start off thanking you for helping us!!

Pardon my bad spelling/english. I'm from Denmark ;-)

I have a Geforce Go 7600 with 512 mb RAM, T2500 Intel Dualcore, and 2 GB of DDR2 RAM, but still I'm having trouble playing BF2. The walls disappear and big shapes and triangles arise everywhere I look after 2 min. of play (as shown on the attached image) post-16015-1198196052_thumb.jpg

Which driver do I have to download to make this work? Please help me, neither the manufacturer nor nVidia have the right drivers...

Thx in advance

post-0-1155150100_thumb.jpg

What are your IDLE and heavy load temperatures?

Do you get the same issue with a couple of 3DMark 2003? If yes it's probably overheating...

It could be overheating, a DX that needs updating (unlikely for BF2), or you just need a new driver.

91.31 or 91.33 should be good, or whatever 8x series works for you.

I gave up on this game a long time ago, for all I know EA will tell you that your laptop is too new to run the game.

But the after 2 min definitely points to overheating.

Should try cleaning and underclocking.

Yeah thats a driver issue. I'd try a late 8 series, or something like 91.32, which I'm currently using with no problems.

Guest Henrik

Hi again,

thx for the fast reply.

What is a DX (I'm a newbie around these terms) and how can I update this?

I've tried the 91.31 and 91.33, hell, I even used all day yesterday trying almost every INF on this website (even some of the old ones you adviced earlier in this post)

If I would try underclocking, how would I do that? and wount that seriously effect the quality of the game?

Btw, I'm experiencing the same problems with Call Of Duty 2

These errors also occur after a couple of min's play.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I hope you'll take the time to answer them.

Thx in advance!!

post-0-1155235309_thumb.jpg

wow, finally i got bf2 to work. turns out it was the video.con file. I tried that earlier from instructions from another post but it said to change the resolution too, not just the refresh rate my computer runs at.

thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Geforce go 7300 with 512mb(really 256mb), with 1gig of ram and Intel Centrino Duo T2400 1.83Ghz. My problem is, Battlefield 2 starts and works to the point of actually getting into a server, but 2-10min the game crashes to desktop with no error report. I get the same issue with single play and I've tried everything to fix this. I've tested different things to see how it will affect the crash rate:

*On lowest settings the game crashes no differently than on Highest settings, same time rate.

*On "Strike at Karkand" map I managed to play for 40min on lowest settings without a crash, but as soon as I loaded to a different map the game crashed.

*While in game my computer fan doesn't change speeds or suddenly turn on because it's getting too hot, so I don't think the video card is overheating. Plus the Graphics card is located under my keyboard and I don't feel any temperature change.

*I turned off anti-viruse and anti-spyware programs, and it made no difference.

*In game I tryed to stay at one spot and looked at the ground for 10min and no crash.

*I have noticed while in game, every time something big happens like an air strike or when in a airplane and I crash, the game crashes too.

*Turning off settings like Vertical sync doesn't change anything.

(tests were made on Driver 8.4.0.0)

Now I don't know what's wrong with Battlefield 2 for me, but Counter Strike Source and Day of Defeat Source work GREAT on highest settings on my laptop, and yes online.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Edited by cheeseman

Visit the gaming troubleshooting FAQ.

Battlefield 2 is a crappy programmed game. Try to disable your soundcard in the hardware manager.

Will thanks for the help, but went out and got me a new laptop, the specs are high:

AMD Turion 64X2 Duo core, 2gig Ram, 160Gig HD, ATI Radeon X1600 512MB. I havn't tryed yet, but I guess it can run the Battlefield 2 on med-high settings, although I think the graphics card could have been better.

Even though I can't use the drivers on this site anymore because I've gone ATI, I appericiate what you guys do.

Edited by cheeseman

Then you have 2 weak points... Battlefield 2 and the ATI graphic card.

Then you have 2 weak points... Battlefield 2 and the ATI graphic card.

I know what you mean, I hate ATI too and the worst thing is I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada the heart of ATI. At least it's abit better than the Geforce go 7300.

Edited by cheeseman

*picking the stick to poke again*

I tought the heart of ATI was somewhere in California:

One AMD Place

P.O. Box 3453

Sunnyvale, California 94088-3453

(408) 749-4000

*picking the stick to poke again*

I tought the heart of ATI was somewhere in California:

Founded in 1985, ATI's headquarters are located in Markham, Ontario, Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Technologies

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/contact/coninfo.html

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/articles/show/477

Sorry for being off-topic.

Edited by cheeseman

OK it was obvious... it was a joke refering to the recent AMD ATI merger.

OK it was obvious... it was a joke refering to the recent AMD ATI merger.

Mybad :) . I don't know whats sadder, Battlefield 2 or me? I still get crashes on the new laptop, but this time I get a window telling me something is wrong, insted of a crash to desktop on my other laptop.

Edited by cheeseman

In the software family you have:

- freeware

- shareware

- adware

- spyware

But the Battlefield series is from a very special category called Cr@pware. Once the size of the game patch is bigger than the original DVD install it's a sign that you are going downhill.

• 2 weeks later...

1.4 has been released at the usual sites. Downloading now, but is suppose to fix some graphic glithes.

By the time you give up on downloading 1Gb of patches they will have the new Battlefield on the shelves. Then it will be a matter memory if you get caught in the net of the Battlefield franchise AGAIN.

Well luckily they do upgrade patches, so 1.3 -> 1.4 is *only* 140meg. The patch does have a new map, Road to Jalabad, or something like that as well, a nice bonus.

Have to say, I'm one of the 'few' that have really had very few problems with this game, hence why I'm keeping people informed. My biggest problem is my crappy wireless, which keeps kicking me out of servers. Had the odd desktop crash, but they are few and far between.

I will be buying 2142 as well, again because overall I'm happy with B2.