LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Newbie: Need Forceware to 6800GO - Which one?!!!!!

Guest BOYMBOY

Guest BOYMBOY

First, let me tell you that I'm really a rookie in these things. So bare with me.

I've got Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M3438G laptop with PM750, nVIDIA 6800GO 256MB DDR1, 2GB of RAM, WinXP Home SP2, 17" WXGA+ screen and so on. I need to update my GPU-drivers, but I'm really confused as to which driver or Forceware I should get.

Most of my friends suggest I use Forceware 77.70 GO. I know this isn't the newest Forceware but it's for mobile GPUs (hence the GO) and, if I understood it correctly, does not require an 'INF' file because it's already for notebook-GPUs. Is this right?

Recently though I have found that many people use other Forceware such as 77.56, 77.77 or even 80.40. I've always thought that those are for dekstops only until some people adviced me that I can download this 'INF' file which makes them work with notebook-GPUs. However, I've also read the warnings that those 'beta-type' drivers might mess my notebook up. Of course the best way to handle things is to test different Forceware. However, I'd really like it if you guys cold just recommend me a Forceware.

So to sum up my preconceptions:

1) Forceware 77.70GO is a good Forceware and does not require an 'INF' file (because it's already for mobile-GPUs)

2) Other Forceware require an 'INF' file which makes the Forceware compatible with mobile-GPUs.

Oh, and one final question about the 'INF' files. No matter what driver I choose, should I always download the newest INF? For example, if I chose Forceware 77.77 should I donwload INF 30.78? Or should I get the 'INF' that is listed next to the Forceware driver?

Help me out! Please!

77.76 is a good driver. It is the latest official (beta) driver! It works great on my machine!

You should download the inf that is next to the driver to make things work!

Success!

Jeroen

BTW: nice laptop that you have there! :)

Guest BOYMBOY

Okey thanks! That cleared up a lot for me. Now I have just two additional question. Please answer them!

1) Is it true you should remove the current nVIDIA video driver before you install a new one?

2) I'm not completely sure yet how to install the Forceware with the INF file. Is this the way to do it:

How to install nVIDIA GO drivers

If you could answer these questions I'd really appreciate it!

Okey thanks! That cleared up a lot for me. Now I have just two additional question. Please answer them!

1) Is it true you should remove the current nVIDIA video driver before you install a new one?

2) I'm not completely sure yet how to install the Forceware with the INF file. Is this the way to do it:

How to install nVIDIA GO drivers

If you could answer these questions I'd really appreciate it!

1)It is not necessary,but I strongly recommend you to do this.Especially you want to install a tweaked driver such as Xtreme-G Driver.After you remove the current nVIDIA driver,you can use DriverCleaner to clean files.

2)Yes,that's right.

Guest BOYMBOY

Thanks a lot, truly. You guys helped me out immensely. This is a terrific forum by the way. People reply quickly and their replies are clear. :)

Now one more question came into my mind and once I get an answer for this all will be completely clear. So here goes:

1) About the Forceware 77.70 driver (which goes by the name of Forceware 77.70 GO in Guru3D). This is a mobile driver, right? So you don't need an INF file to make it compatible with mobile GPUs, right (because it's a MOBILE Forceware driver)? So why is there an INF file link next to this driver?

The Forceware 77.70 driver at Guru3D is a modified driver to make it work on notebooks. But not all Go-cards are supported in that driver.

You can use this driver, because your card is supported, but I should advice to download the driver here with the inf that is next to the driver. These infs have some tweaks and stuff!

Greetz & good luck!

jeroen

Guest BOYMBOY

I noticed that there were an instruction page in laptopvideo2go: Un/installation of Detonator drivers/INFs in WinXP. Can I follow these instuctions when I install Forceware with INF? The instructions look pretty much the same as the instructions on that notebookforums thead.

Also, after I uninstall the display driver, do I really need to use DriverCleaner? I'm not too familiar with that program and shouldn't the simple uninstallation of the display driver be enough?

By the way, I will only use Forceware drivers (77.70/77.56/77.76/77.77)...

So all in all, if I do the following will I be allright?

1) Uninstall the current display driver (WinXP: Add or remove programs)

2) Reboot

3) Download Forceware 77.70 (or I can do this before I reboot)

4) Download the modded INF file (or I can do this before I reboot)

5) Copy the orginal INF somewhere

6) Replace the original INF with the modded INF

7) Follow the instructions

You shouldn't use DriverCleaner! I have installed so many different drivers on my laptop and I NEVER used a program like that or somtething.

I think you should only use it if you encounter some problems or something!

So the 7-steps thing you wanted to do are the things you should do (and that I always do an propably most of the users here that are installing newer drivers!)

Success with the new drivers!

Jeroen

Guest BOYMBOY

Okey thanks. Everything should be clear to me now. By the way, I've heard a lot of good things about the WHQL version of Forceware 77.77 that was just released. I'll probably use that driver or the 77.70 (mobile Forceware).

Thank again to all those who helped me out. I wanna especially thank Jeroen who was really patient with me and gave me great and clear answers. Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Well I guess I have one more question but it's not that important so it's not crucial that I get an answer to it. One of the problems one of my friends had with Forceware 77.70 was that the fans were constantly on and going almost max speed, even when doing tasks that don't involve the GPU that much. My friend had to manually lower the fan speed. I was wondering that do the INF file that is next to 77.70 fix that so that the fans slow down when you are for example using MS Word. The reason I ask this is because you said that INF has these little tweaks and stuff, and so I assume one of the tweaks might involve the fan speed.

Anyway, thanks again.

There was a topic on here somewhere about that, Pieter might have included tweaks to fix the fans for some people, as for where the topic is or what INFs he put the tweaks in I am not sure, but it is nice to know that some people are having fan problems, but it might not be the INF, could just be the driver, we have had other people with that same problem before.

If your friend can controll the fans good, like set up his own profile with some program, that should be fine I guess.

Now I need to stop typing run on sentences..... :)

Guest BOYMBOY

The friend I mentioned had downloaded the Forceware 77.70 from Guru3D and to my knowledge did not use any modded INF so the fan problem was in the driver itself apparently.

By the way, this friend hadn't even uninstalled the previous display driver but he said that his current driver works great and that apparently when you install new Forceware it has some kind of program that uninstalls the previous drivers. Well, I'll still uninstall the current display driver (not using DriverCleaner though) before I install new Forceware.