LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Rotation feature for Tablet PCs (like TOSHiBA Portegé M200/M205)

Guest ajg23

IF YOU MESS UP SOMETHING SUCH THAT YOU CAN NO LONGER ROTATE THE SCREEN ON YOUR TABLET PC:

After getting the video in good working order, I destroyed the ability to rotate the screen on my Toshiba Portege M200/M205 Tablet PC(apparently w/a reg cleaning program). When I tried to rotate the screen, I got the message, "the setting you requested cannot be supported..." Existing info on the net (incl @ Microsoft) was of no help...

Here's how I finally fixed it (using info from this thread)

• I had ALREADY downloaded "77.70.exe" (to get it: go here and scroll down until you see DOWNLOADS in big type--then click "Driver v77.70")...and had ALREADY unzipped it to a folder and then deleted the 2 ".inf" files in the folder, adding in their place Pieter's 7770_nv4_disp.inf (version 30.75a, get it in the same place below "Driver v77.70"). It was from this folder I had installed drivers before messing up my Tablet's rotation ability when i mucked up the registry...but re-installing from this folder hadn't fixed things!
  • so I edited Pieter's INF the following line (under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings])
    HKR,, RotateFlag, %REG_DWORD%, 4
    --changed the 4 to 16, so it became--
    HKR,, RotateFlag, %REG_DWORD%, 16
  • also under [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] I added the line
    HKR,, NvCplEnableRotatePage, %REG_DWORD%, 1
  • then closed notepad (saving changes) and ran setup.exe in that directory...after reboot I can rotate again!

Thanks to Pieter and may I recommend donating to him here!

Aaron

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the info. I had 77.70 working too and the same thing happened to me (I also have the Portege M200). Is there a reason you went to the 77.70 drivers and did not stay with the 46.44 that was the last update toshiba released with the driver set? I used a diff program to highlight the differences between the original 46.44 and a modified inf from 46.90 (which I got from this site) and there are ALOT of differences. I wanted to make sure I did not lose any tablet functionality that might be included in the drivers that toshiba released, but there are too many line differences to go through to tell. Ill post the file from Toshiba here too, I hope someone will be able to let me know if there is anything else to include in the modified inf that i'll get from this site.

Also, how do I add a resolution for an external monitor? I have the Gateway 2185W which has a resolution of 1680x1050. I know I have to add it to the NV_MODES line, but don't know specifically what and if I need to add/change anything else.

NVTS.INF

CtotheJ, the INF you have attached comes with support for 1680x1050.

No need to mod it any further.

The weird part is that when I installed that one, it would not recognize that my screen has a resolution of 1680x1050. But, when I updated to 77.70 from this site with the modified inf, it recognized it no problem.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest

hi i also have a protege and im trying to change the driver to 77.70 like you guys have suggested except i cant get Pieter's 7770_nv4_disp.inf file. would it be possible for someone to send it to my email account please? cwong72*@hotmail.com, with no *. thanks for your help!

INF link in thread has been fixed.

• 1 month later...

Pointing out the settings in the inf file saved my butt!

Thanks. That did the trick, I now have automatic rotation back when switching to tablet mode.

• 3 months later...
Guest Furluge

Hey, hope you don't mind me running in here guesting real quick. Just wanted you to know this has been a big help. Any chance this thread could be stickied/pinned? This is a really big deal for tablet PCs.

• 5 months later...

I registred just to say many thanks for the hint! Same M200, samre problem... now fixed!

I attached the modified inf for 97.44 :) post-25041-1211835729_thumb.gif

nv4_disp.inf

Edited by Zane

• 8 months later...

Hi I tried following the instructions for the latest forceware drivers 165.01 found on LaptopVideo2Go, but my M200 still doesn't rotate.

Any ideas? I'm running XP Tablet SP2.

Thanks alot

• 6 months later...
Guest Josh

Hey, all,

I tried (also) to follow the instructions on the page, but I still can't get my Portege M200 to rotate.

Currently, I've got my card running on 96.85 in Windows Vista Home Premium.

Any help would be appreciated. Email addy available upon request.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

This is my first post to the community. I was considering buying an external video card to drive my Samsung SyncMaster 225MS (1680 x 1050), but this foreceware would be much more convenient.

I installed the 77.70 + inf on my Toshiba Tecra M4 (a tablet PC with a Go 6600 TW with 128MB DDR SDRAM) but the Samsung won't display at 1680 x 1050. That resolution's a menu option, but the Samsung stubbornly maintains 1400 x 1050.

Is this a common problem with a typical solution? Are there specific environmental variables that need to be considered in order to troubleshoot the issue? Or should I be considering a different driver?

I'd love some assistance, if any expert can spare the time. I'm contracted to wireframe an intranet prototype for 22" monitors, but all my prototyping tools are on the laptop.

All the best,

Jeff

Toronto

I got this to work after installing 174.16 with the inf file modifications described above. The 1680 x 1050 resolution didn't kick in at first:

• I set the resolution to 1680 x 1050 in the NVIDIA control panel and via the right-click menu off the quick start INVIDIA icon. No response from the Samsung.
  • I gave up on 1680 x 1050, and chose 1600 x 1024 via the right-click menu off the quick start INVIDIA icon.
  • That actually seemed to work, but wasn't quite centered, so I adjusted the position in the "Move CRT Screen Position" window in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • Encouraged, I tried increasing the resolution to 1680 x 1050 on the right-click menu off the quick start INVIDIA icon. It worked.

Perhaps an expert here could explain the voodoo...

All the best,

Jeff

Edited by jeffo