LaptopVideo2Go Forums

BF2, GF6800, and choppy mouse problems

Guest spaakle

Guest spaakle

So, I've got a I9300 with 256mb Geforce Go 6800, 60 Gig HD and 512 RAM. I installed the modded INF for the 77.76 drivers, which resulted in a nice boost from the OEM drivers. But upon playing BF2, even on it's lowest settings and on singleplayer, I get choppy mouse movement if I am running forward and left (or right) at the same time.

If I stand still and look around, or if I drive a vehicle, everything's fine.

This isn't the choppiness associated with the first minute of gameplay once a new map loads in.

This is definitely odd, I've never seen choppiness like this before. Is it some kind of bug with BF2, or driver issue?

:)

It could be a BF2 bug, the game has many I think, I am surprised you can even get the game to run! (even though your system specs are well above the minimum, although I would recomend that you get more RAM)

What other drivers have you tried?

The 77.77 drivers and 80.40 drivers might be good to try, as always use Pieter's mod INF in the driver after you unzip the driver.

Then install using the device manager.

Guest spaakle

I've just tried the 77.76's... will try the 77.77's tonight. A coworker of mine has the exact same laptop, and I think the exact same problem as well (although I haven't seen BF2 running on his just yet).

I'm a bit wary about trying the beta drivers as of yet- it's a new laptop... :)

I will install new ram soon, once I get around to it- I don't think it's a ram problem- I've seen bf2 run on older laptops with the same ram, and it runs fine.

Will let you know of the results soon!

I was not saying it was a RAM problem, just saying you need more in that thing, especially as powerfull as it is, and considering how cheap the upgrades are now.

I'm gonna upgrade the RAM on my old laptop even.

Guest spaakle

:) Ran driver cleaner, installed 77.77, got a higher score on aquamark... but still, BF2 runs choppily. And this mouse choppiness is different- usually if something is lagging, like, the whole game pauses for a few frames, and then starts running again. But with this mouse lag, the game still runs smoothly- but it's like the mouse input stops for oh, a half second or so, and then updates, and I'm running in a new direction. It's amazingly odd.

Oh and I know I definitely need more RAM in it, I bought it with the 512 in mind to save money and upgrade to a gig when I get around to it :)

I'm out of ideas.... other than trying other drivers...

I think its the lack of RAM. If i'm not mistaken, you're running everything on high, rite? For that amount of detail, the required RAM is 1GB Above.

I'm running everything on high including 4xAA on 80.40 drivers now. Everything's good, except for the shadow bug thingy.

Guest spaakle

Well, I tried turning all the settings to the absolute lowest - and it still happens. It still seems different from the lack of RAM that I've seen in every other game. My co worker's runs just fine, and he updated to Dell's GF 6800 Go drivers just last night- runs smoothly. I'm going to try those out tonight.

Do you have VSYNC enabled?

There is a setting called "max frames to render ahead" in the Direct3D settings page, that and VSYNC can cause mouse lag.

To fix it lower that number and turn VSYNC off.

I hope that fixes it.

Also your plan on getting more RAM later (for a lower price) is the way to go. :)

Guest spaakle

Tried out the official Dell drivers for the GF 6800 Go.... on the lowest settings, things seemed to work fine. Then I tried the highest, and the mouse lag (or should I say dead input instead of lag) was back. I went back to the lowest settings, still there. I even tried the vsynch off and the frames to render ahead = 0.

More description on the type of lag= if I just tap the left key while using the mouse to look left or right, and let go immediately, my character strafes left for maybe a quarter or half a second .. even though I had let go of the keys.

It's really frustrating to see the game running super smooth on highest on my friend's laptop (granted he has a gig of ram)

but that extra 512 can't mean the difference between highest quality and lowest quality, I wouldn't think. And even then, I experience it. I'm outta options pretty much.

I certainly wish you the very best in your quest to improve game smoothness!

Hey

I have the exact same system as you but with 1 Gig of ram. Exact same problems too - mouse gets stuck at times. I updated the game and now it doesn't run at all - jumps back to desktop. I tried all the drivers this website and Dell's site have to offer - same result. If you think more RAM is going to fix your prob, don't waste your money on it 'cause it won't :)

Guest spaakle

This really doesn't make any sense then... if you have the exact same laptop as my coworker's, and yours has the same problem but his doesn't..... man, I love this laptop but this problem makes me want to run it over with a truck.

In UT2004? :)

I can run it smooth as silk mostly on my laptop at the highest ingame settings at 800x600, something must be wrong on your end. (currently using 77.77 driver with Pieter's mod INF)

I shall remember to check back here tomorrow to offer up more suggestions..... (late here)

Edit: Try uninstalling and cleaning out your drivers and maybe re-installing DirectX 9.0C, then of course install drivers again.

Edited by Bill

then it must be the graphics drivers....

try installing the latest update.

Guest spaakle

Solution! I disabled the sound card, and UT ran silky smooth. I tried bf2 like this and the game ran without the choppy mouse (granted there were some hiccups but that's due to everything else loading in when the match starts). I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Sigmatel audio drivers- and they're fine, as far as I can tell. Other I9300 users with this problem, let me know if this works for you!

:)

I have not heard of this in a while, but yes, sound cards/drivers can and have caused problems for people in the past, including me.....

Edit: Nice job, glad you figured it out. :)

Solution! I disabled the sound card, and UT ran silky smooth. I tried bf2 like this and the game ran without the choppy mouse (granted there were some hiccups but that's due to everything else loading in when the match starts). I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Sigmatel audio drivers- and they're fine, as far as I can tell. Other I9300 users with this problem, let me know if this works for you!

I have the same problem and I also have the I9300, though I replaced the ram, so I now have 2 GB, but still :)

Which version of the Sigmatel drivers are you using spaakle?

Regards

Noir04

I know your problem. Your 512 of RAM is bottlenecking your whole system. You should get 1 GB or more; prefer 2 X 512 for Dual Channel support.

I have an XPS GEN 2, and I used to get choppiness with just playing on medium settings and a larger resolution, but when I went from 512 to 1024, I was able to play on high settings and a better resolution.

So basically, just upgrade your RAM, and I'll bet you can play on Medium/High settings. The minimum requirements of RAM are 512, that's bottlenecking.

Noir04, I'm using the latest sigmatel audio drivers that were provided on the dell website. Try running bf2 with the sound card disabled first to see if that's where your problem is coming from. :)

I fixed my problem, disabling the sound card made it work, but that wasn't really a long term solution.

and as per usual a google search fixed the problem, just needed to increase my virtual memory :-)