LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Guest CTMVT

Hi Larry,

Tried the program you suggested and it is not accepting anything over the 1024x768 - leaving me to wonder if the monitor really is an SXGA model. Frustrating. Not only does a different resolution show up in the option for the program, but I could not get it to take any other resolution that I tried. This leaves me wondering if there is any easy way to confirm that the LCD is what I was led to believe, and if it is...what else is a viable option to make it work?

Thanks for the help.

-Chris

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris, try our NERD tool, handcrafted by our very own Teraphy. It can be found here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....756&hl=NERD

Extract to an empty folder somewhere and run the tool. If you get error messages, just click "Ignore."

You'll also get a screenfull of something that appears to be garbage. Just wait it out and it will return to normal. You'll end up with two log files that should tell you the native resolution of your LCD.

Guest CTMVT

Hi Larry,

Well, that utility is fantastic...however, the great tragedy is that the only resolution it revealed for the lcd in question is 1024x768 - so it appears I was misled into making a purchase of a unit that was not as advertised. I am looking into my options now, and will let you know how things work out as it is still my goal to get this 5150 to work with an actual SXGA screen.

regards,

Chris

Okay - Good luck with it!

I'm currently recommending (and using) 169.47. It does everything that 174.60 does, but does it faster. I try lots of other drivers, but keep coming back to 169.47. It's an excellent match for the 5150/5160.

There are only two minor glitches. The driver will default to DualView, so if you want performance you'll need to set it to Single Monitor in the Nvidia Control Panel. And my D3D presets no longer work, so you'll need to configure your 3D settings manually (which most people do anyway).

Enjoy!

Guest Guest

Thanks for that. Hey, do you play Civ IV??? If so could you recommend a good driver for the 5160? I've tried both 67.66 and 169.21 and they run pretty much the same with the edge going to 169.21 because its a newer drive so my other games dont nag about it being old. Thanks.

I don't play Civ IV, but I do play Oblivion a lot, which is very graphics-demanding. I'm running 169.47 with pretty good luck. I agree that the performance is as good with these 169 drivers as with the earlier drivers, but hopefully with some bugs fixed too.

Anyway, since 169.47 is the newest of the 169 series, you might want to give it a try. Definitely avoid the 174/175 drivers. They're significantly slower on our machines than the 169 series is.

Larry, THANK YOU! I spent a *lot* of time reading threads here, and a lot of heartache getting my performance fixed. I kept having terrible stuttering, and even basic Explorer UI elements would lag like it was using the base Standard VGA driver. I booted into Safe Mode (protip: use bcdedit to add a copy of your normal Vista boot menu item, then set it to boot in Safe Mode, and you can use the bootloader OS selector instead of figuring out when to hit F8), ran Driver Sweeper, then rebooted and used your 98.13 inf (had to comment out the reference to nvwgf2um as others have mentioned) and now it works like a champ -- 2.6 Experience score... not bad!

I'm glad it helped, Ghengis - and thanks for the reminder about nvwgf2um. I'll try to upload a fixed version this weekend.

EDIT: I've just uploaded the revised inf with the User Mode lines removed. This shouldn't work, but several people have reported needing to do it. Let me know if it helps or hurts. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest Jaime

Hello Larry,

I still remember when you mentioned the fps you getwith Oblivion, are you getting the same fps's with 169.47?

Another question, do you know the part number for the screen you have on your 5150?

Another thing I wanted to mention, playing with the 67.66 ,71.44 , and 84.98 drivers I get the 'Infinity loop error' when playing Warcraft III. I tried the 169.21 drivers and it fix the problem, but now I can't play Quake III because the textures look all colored. I hope this gets fixed with the 169.47 drivers but if not, do you thing it is a problem with the 3D settings?

Thank you for your patience and great work Larry.

Jaime

Hi, Jaime...

Yes, I'm getting the same FPS with 169.47 as I did with the earlier drivers. It's an excellent driver.

My screen is C1147, 14.9" 1400x1050. I can point you to a source if you like, but they aren't cheap.

I think 169.47 should solve your Quake problem. Give it a try.

Good luck!

July 24, 2008

- Updated all infs to add new switches and video modes.

July 26, 2008

- Added tweak to make all control panel options visible without the need for separate tweaks.

- Set BandwithFactor to 4 to improve performance when viewing video content.

SPECIAL NOTE: My 169 and 174 infs are identical except for the version line. You can use them with any of the 169 and 17x drivers by copying the version line yourself.

As always, please let me know if anything doesn't work properly. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

August 23, 2008

- Added 1360x768 resolution to all infs.

Let me know if it doesn't work properly. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks boss for your quick reply but unfortunately it did work with me, I think the moded inf was designed for Sony users

I'm using Toshiba Qosmio E15-AV101 upgraded to vista-32 business edition,

Display card: nVidia Geforce FX 5200 Go 64M

I went back to version 97.59 but the performance of my laptop become slow!!

Could you help please?

Edited by Jedawi

Download the modded inf from the link next to the driver download. Put it into the folder where you've extracted the driver files, replacing the inf that's already there.

It should install fine, but let me know if it doesn't.

Guest diamondblast
Try downloading driver version 67.66 and use it with the first inf on my page. 67.66 was the last "fast" driver for the 5150 (and other older 64MB cards).

Before you install, go into the Windows Control Panel's "Add/Remove Programs" applet and uninstall the current nvidia driver. That will clear out any old files or settings that might be causing problems. When your computer reboots, use the "Have Disk" method to install 67.66.

Hi ,I'm kind of a newbie here :) I had a similar problem and your advices

actually worked great,just wanted to say thanks!

Thanks, Diamondblast - that's good to hear!

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Larry, I was wondering, I just installed Oblivion and Im using your inf for 169.21 and the game crashes after I leave the sewers. Any ideas? What ini tweaks are you using in the game to get it to run? Thanks

Larry, I was wondering, I just installed Oblivion and Im using your inf for 169.21 and the game crashes after I leave the sewers. Any ideas? What ini tweaks are you using in the game to get it to run? Thanks

Here's my oblivion.inf (which is set up for the game with Shivering Isles installed). I also use 2x anisotropic filtering in the nvidia control panel. For mods, I use the official DLC mods, the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, Unofficial Oblivion Mod Patch, and the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.

What mods are you running? Most crashes on leaving or entering cells are due to mod conflicts. You can try disabling them all, then adding them back one at a time until you find the culprit.

Lastly, give driver 169.72 a try. I've been using it for several weeks and it seems to work well with Oblivion. Use my 169.47 inf and change the version line to:

DriverVer = 07/09/2008, 6.14.11.6972

Oblivion.zip