LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

I wish I had a good suggestion, but I don't. You're basically trying all the same things I would try. One universal problem with the i5150/5160 is heat, which can make the GPU throttle down, but it wouldn't happen every few seconds the way you describe.

Is there any chance there's some other software that's hogging all your memory or CPU cycles every few seconds? Or possibly random enough to make it appear some drivers work better than others?

I wish I had something better to suggest. If you ever do track it down and it turns out to be driver related, please let me know. There are probably others with the same problem.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest El_Kot

Hey Larry, Happy New Year! Long time no post here. :) Anyhow, a tiny update, and a question.

First, the stuttering is clearly a OS/driver interference issue. When I was last writing, I had still not upgraded to XP SP3, I was still on SP2. After I upgraded, the behavior changed - it still freezes momentarily, but at much longer intervals - 5 to 10 seconds, vs. the previous about 2. I'm almost certain that if I do a clean XP install, with all Dell chipset and other drivers in a proper order, and then install the 67.66, it'll probably work fine. (And there's nobody else mentioning this issue here, so it's probably specific to my system. Alas, it is so overgrown with software, that a clean install is out of the question.)

Anyhow, the question. I distinctly remember, when I still used the POS ATI card, that there were the *three* output options on the ATI control panel - LCD display, external VGA monitor, and TV (s-video). I don't know if they could work all three at the same time, because I never had three of them connected at once. Well, so it happens that now I do have three of them, and I see no option of having all three of them on at once. With the 67.66, all I see is the possibilty of having two of them on at once - the LCD and the VGA, or the LCD and the TV. Is this restriction because of the driver, or because of the card? Can the FX 5200Go drive three displays simultaneously with any driver?

Welcome back! The two-monitors-at-a-time issue is purely hardware. The Go5200 is a "two-headed" card, which means it only has two output processors. But you can send the signal to any two monitors you want.

Unfortunately, I still don't know what might be causing your stutter problem. If you feel like experimenting, try driver 169.72 with the inf I customized for it in the top post in this thread. It's good enough that I've been using it for well over a year now.

If you do try it, be sure to uninstall your current driver first, via the Windows Control Panel. When you reboot, use the "Have Disk" method and browse to the folder with driver files and the modded inf.

Let me know what happens - I'm curious to see if it helps or not.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi Larry,

I have been a big fan of your efforts since the very beginning, I was following the updates to this thread for quite a while but I eventually stopped gaming on my Inspiron 5150 so I didn't need regular updates, settling on 67.66 as a stable XP driver. Now I'm finally getting around to upgrading my 5150 to Windows 7 and started looking for drivers, and was amazed and very happy to see that you've been keeping up with your work here!

I guess I will try using 98.16 with my new Windows 7 install, and I have a question - the only 98.16 that I found on this site is shown as being for Vista - is that the correct driver? I tried searching the FAQ and other places but couldn't find any information about the Vista drivers working with Windows 7. Also if you have any other tips on the best settings please let me know :)

Thanks & Regards,

Leo

Sorry just to add to my previous message, it seems like you're using 169.72 and so I would like to try that but again I can't find a version for Windows 7, only for XP. Is that the one?

Thanks!

Hi, Leo - It's good to see you back!

169.72 is for XP only. I created another thread for FX Go users looking for drivers that work with Windows 7.

Take a look at this thread and feel free to ask any questions:

Windows 7 with nVidia FX Cards

Good luck!

Hi Larry,

Thanks so much, I will definitely give 98.16 a try with your modded inf when my Windows 7 DVD arrives next week. I really appreciate the fact that there's an inf customized for our 5150's :)

Thanks also for clarifying that 169.72 is only for XP, although I think the first post in this thread seems to contradict that, in the first sentence it says :

we have better infs for driver 169.72 (which should work with XP, Vista, and Windows 7)

and also in the next sentence :

The changes to 169.72 allow for smoother Windows 7 video

Of course that was written back in 2009 so I guess driver knowledge has been updated quite a bit since then...

After all these years it's still so complicated, if not more so, to get the perfect driver for all situations. I can't wait until we have robots and AI to take care of stuff like this!

Regards,

Leo

Yes, that's a bad explanation on my part. Technically, it does work with Windows 7 but without Aero Glass effects, which I doubt anyone would be happy with.