LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Thanks, Arken! I'll make that change.

For those who are curious, that's the switch that's conntrolled by the "Texture Filtering Quality/Performance" slider in the nvidia control panel. It's also controlled by the Image Settings switch under the nvidia notification tray icon, and by the Intellisample slider in RivaTuner. (They all control this same switch.) Setting it to 14 makes it default to "High Performance" and setting it to 0 reverts to the nvidia default of "Quality."

There's no need for anyone to reinstall the driver - changing the Texture Filtering slider to "Quality" will do the same thing. However, I'll change the inf to avoid others having the same texture problem in the future.

Nice detective work, by the way - I really appreciate it!

:)

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest CBChapman

Larry,

Disabling speed step in the bios does bring the processor down to 1/2 speed, but I haven't noticed any loss in performance in any task that I run. Raising the speed switch to max performance while in this mode, I do not think that it brings the computer over 1.5 Ghz (3.06 ghz processor) but it does raise the heat considerably and I have not seen a gain in performance, with the exception of clearing the choppy video when I was running the 169 driver. Now back to the 84.98 driver and running with speed step disabled in the bios and speed switch on max battery I don't get the choppy video and show no lack in performance as before all of my formatting the hard drive and reinstalling everything.

For me it's been a way to keep my temps cool, and as I said I haven't really seen a loss n performance at all. From what I understand and have read, when speed step is enabled and temps raise the processor does so much throttling back that you're not getting the full benefit of that 3.06 ghz processor anyway- but all that is said with the acknowledgment that I am just an arm chair quarterback here. :)

I've been learning things on the fly.....

Brian

Thanks, Brian - I appreciate your thoughts on this. You aren't alone, by the way - we had someone here a year or so ago who highly recommended exactly what you are doing. His observation, much like yours, was that performance really didn't suffer at all. I've never done it, but your temps are impressive and certainly worth giving it a try.

Thanks again!

February 9, 2008

- Removed 169.28 XP and Vista inf.

- Added 169.38 XP and Vista infs.

- Changed the 3D Texture Filter default from "High Performance" to "Quality" to fix texture problems some people reported. (See three posts up for details.)

As always, let me know if anything doesn't work correctly.

Guest CBChapman

Larry,

Your welcome, let me know if you have any questions and I can provide some links that helped me alot. Also thanks again for taking the time to work on these drivers, I really appreciate it!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

February 18, 2008

- Added 174.12 XP and Vista infs.

This driver seems to behave slightly differently. There's a strange lag for a few seconds when loading Oblivion, and Oblivion runs just a tad slower. (An insignificant amount.) I also had a strange crash when applying an NV Control Panel profile that I'd saved in a previous version. Saving and loading a new profile worked fine.

I'll be interested to hear how others fare with this driver. And, of course, please let me know if there are any problems with it.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be back eventually, but I don't know the timeline.

In the meantime, give 169.38 a try. It's running quite well on my Go5200. (You may need to uninstall your current driver first.)

It will be back eventually, but I don't know the timeline.

In the meantime, give 169.38 a try. It's running quite well on my Go5200. (You may need to uninstall your current driver first.)

Ok, I'll give it a try. Thx much!

Actually worked worse than the Dell driver on World of Warcraft, so I guess I'll just stick to the dell driver until the other one becomes available again. And I did do the uninstall and used driver cleaner pro.

I should have warned you that you need to do some tweaking in the new Control Panel. The installer defaults to dual-monitor mode, which is pretty slow. You need to change both the overall display and the 3D optimization to single display. The attached settings work well for me, but you might want to set Anistropic Filtering to "Application Default."

post-24-1204332519_thumb.gif

Hi,

Just letting people know I have installed Vista SP1 and it seems a lot faster, and the default nvidia driver is more responsive. A standby issue i was having with the laptop not waking on mouse movement / mce remote movement seem to have been fixed :)

on that note I have the following issues on a clean install of Vista SP1...

I tried 17412_vista and 16932_vista with the inf provided in this thread, but can not seem to load them into vista :)

I do the usual, device manager ->let me pick etc. I pick the 5200fx from the inf,

but I get "Windows found driver software for your device, but encountered an error while attempting to install it", "The driver selected for this device does not support Windows Vista"

any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

It sounds like you've got the XP version of either the driver or the inf. Make sure you use the Vista versions of both and you should be fine.

Let me know if that's not the case and we'll dig a little deeper.

Guest kane81

well I double checked that I'm using the right inf and right vista package....

infact I put both inf into the 17412_vista folder and tried select all three inf (ie also the inf that came with the driver) that were bundled together.

and it still came up with the same error for each one. it installs the driver as it show the "red" dialog waiting for you to confirm install, but it then fails, with the above error message.

I tried the 17412 XP drivers with your 17412 xp inf onto vista and that worked fine, but I dont get Aero, and I dont think the nvidia control panel works properly... ie not in the usual place - Display Properties. I could only see it in Control Panel. Double clicking on the nvidia control panel didnt seem to do anything....

I set up a baseline with no nvidia drivers installed (except the ms default) so restoring a fresh will be easy if needed.

Can anyone report back if they had success with 17412_vista and 16932_vista drivers? please state what version of vista too.

Thanks

I think you've found the problem. When given a choice, the installer is using the wrong inf. Get rid of all infs from the driver folder except my vista inf and see if that helps.

I can confim that the following vista drivers dont work with Vista SP1 because of the error stated below

16938_vista (Larry's inf : failed to install, Modded inf on driver page: installed, but problems on reboot)

16932_vista (Larry's inf : failed to install, Modded inf on driver page: installed, but problems on reboot)

17412_vista (Larry's inf : failed to install, Modded inf on driver page: installed, but problems on reboot)

Modded inf Error: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43) - completes install

Larry Error: The driver selected for this device does not support Windows Vista - does not complete install

that being said

17412_xp using larry 17412_xp inf worked except for the nvidia control panel (never comes up) and of course Aero.

67.66 drivers work better on sp1, no jerky video playback (windowed video was always jerky for me), but of course no Aero

The default ms nvidia driver has been improved, aero works, video in windows works, but using aero video is jerky (windowed and full screen) :/

I'd use the default driver, except I cant do custom res, and I'd want video not to be jerky when using aero. (suspect this could work, if I could tell it to somehow to use overlay)

so are you able to help out and get the vista inf working? and maybe get the 17412_xp inf nvidia control panel working under vista (I was thinking of moving from 67.66 to 17412_xp if the vista natives wont work )

Thanks

Edited by kane81

I'm sorry you're having problems. Have you tried Pieter's infs (the modded inf links that are next to the driver downloads)? If so, do they behave the same way?

^

The "Modded INF" (Pieter's?) next to the "Driver" installs as stated previously. However upon reboot, the Code 43 error is reported.

Driver | Modded INF | Quickstart Guide

Okay - that helps. Pieter's inf is pure vanilla, so your installation is being very strict for some reason, but we should be able to work around it. If you can attach the inf from a Vista driver that works, and let me know which driver you want to use, I'll modify it for you.

Thanks, but I need an inf that works with no errors, so I can adapt it to the driver you want to use.

For what it's worth, a crash on reboot is usually caused by a corrupt installation, leaving you with drivers from incompatible versions installed at the same time. The usual solution is to do a clean driver installation after removing the corrupt driver via the Windows Control Panel. This may not apply to you, but I mention it to give you something to explore.

Another possibility - Your installation of Vista may be set to accept only WHQL drivers. Any modded inf will break WHQL, so if we find that modyfiing a known working inf still fails, this is probably what you're running into.

well 67.66 drivers arent WHQL are they?

From what I can tell larry, all your drivers for vista dont seem to work :/

The inf above finishes the "install process", your inf doesnt get passed the install process.

My Vista SP1 is a clean install so only the default ms nvidia driver was loaded.

I will do an install of Vista RTM and see if that makes a difference and let you know.

Thanks

I can confirm that Vista original - non SP1 has the same issue with you 17412 vista inf.

"The driver selected for this device does not support Windows Vista - does not complete install"

thus I dont think anyone has managed to install your vista infs Larry......

The following changes allow Larry's vista infs to install on Vista (solution was based on cut and paste from Pieter's inf for the 17412 driver bit by bit)

(tested on 17412 Vista 32 Drivers )

Although we now get passed the "install" stage, upon reboot the driver report a Code 32 error :)

I have a feeling that the native vista drivers will never work, but then again, the MS Nvidia Driver works well, just no custom resolutions or tweaking ......

[NVIDIA.Mfg.NTx86.6.0]
;%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1% = nv4_NV3x,                 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324
;%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.3% = nv4_NV3x,                 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0320.1% = nv_NV3x,                  PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0320
%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1% = nv_NV3x,                PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324

; Localizable Strings
NVIDIA                 = "NVIDIA"
;NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200"
;NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.3  = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0320.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200"
NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 64MB"

Edited by kane81