LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Thanks a bunch man. I didnt use any mods yet. The game crashed the first time I tried to play so I went into Rivatuner and changed my directx shaders back to 2.0 from forced 1.1. Then I went to the oblivion ini and changed bForce1XShaders=1. Then I got the game to launch and run. So, I get through the sewers and right when I go to leave the game crashes again so I tried a tweak I saw on the net for bUseWaterShader=0. It still crashes now after the sewer but its not as immediate as before. Like the loading bar goes all the way this time then crashes. So, I know im getting closer to getting it to work. Did you have any problems in the begining trying to run this? Thanks again.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never had a problem running it here. I use the full 2.0 shaders. I can actually run with almost all features enabled, although at a pathetic frame rate.

Does it still crash with my inf? You should keep an unchanged copy of my inf as a backup, since I use a couple of tweaks that get reset anytime you go into your configuration menu.

Also, I realized I missed an important instruction:

- Keep a backup of my inf somewhere safe. When you first load the game with my inf, or when you install a new driver, it will redetect your video and set everything to "low" settings.

- Close Oblivion and open the "live" inf. Copy the first four lines from the [Display] section (the four lines that begin with uVideoDeviceIdentifier) into your backup of my inf, replacing the lines that are there.

- Copy my inf into your My Games\Oblivion folder to make it the "live" version.

It will then load correctly with all my settings.

Ok, good news I got it to work by just leaving the 2.0 shaders in the ini and not forcing the 1. Although not the greatest framerate it does play. Thanks again for getting back to me and really taking the time to keep up with this thread. I have a desktop that can run this game but I love the idea of being able to play it on the go. I have to say that I like this version even better than when I had it on the xbox360. So, thanks again Larry and keep up all your good work. Later

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Larry, I solving this problem - http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18637, so I think, that your modded inf can help me.

But I'm using 64bit Vista and I don't know how to use this inf.

Thanks, but I already tried this with no success :) . Still freaky scrolling.

That should be an excellent driver for you, so I'd start looking for other causes. First, check the settings in the nvidia control panel. Make sure you are in single display mode, not set up for multiple displays. Also, you may have to go into the WIndows display settings and disable some of the features.

• 2 months later...
Guest HaMsTeYr

Hi there, this may not be the best place to ask this but is there a driver for the 5200 Go for Windows 7?

At the moment i've been trying to install Vista drivers which only returns me back to the Standard VGA drivers... I'm looking to do the native resolution of 1400x1050.

Hi there, this may not be the best place to ask this but is there a driver for the 5200 Go for Windows 7?

At the moment i've been trying to install Vista drivers which only returns me back to the Standard VGA drivers... I'm looking to do the native resolution of 1400x1050.

Use driver 98.16 with the nv_9816_W7.inf I've just added to the bottom of the first post in this theard. I've been using it for several weeks and it works quite well for me. Unfortunately, nvidia dropped FX Go5200 support for Vista and Windows 7 as of the 100 series. Unless they pick it up again (unlikely) this is the best we're going to get.

I'll be interested to hear your results. Thanks.

Ah... good work :) i actually managed to do it without your infs to begin with by making an unresponding driver using the standard nvidia drivers (just adding the NV34 so on so forth lines here and there) then manually updating over it with windows 7's driver updater to the vista version of the 98.16 drivers.

Works well for now, and i'm eager to give your infs a shot... Btw, windows 7 runs pretty well on my 5150 :) with only 1.25gb of ram it holds out pretty well, well enough to actually be a main system.

Thanks again :3

EDIT: Tried your infs and i'm sorry to say that they don't work on Win 7 :X I ended up using 98.13 with a modified inf that i had made myself... it works is all i know :X and that i can utilise the 1400x1050 and that win7 properly detects it >.>.

Edited by HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr, what happened when you tried to use my Wndows 7 inf? It's working fine for me, but if there's a problem, I need to fix it. Thanks.

I did try to uninstall the previous driver before installing this one but while installing the driver based on your inf, Win 7 didn't even ask me to install a non WHQL or what not driver. It did ask me to restart, but when i restarted the computer the computer just reinstalled back its Standard VGA Driver.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it but it the Catalog reference is different in the stock driver as it is with yours.

Your inf says:

CatalogFile = NV4_DISP.CAT

Where as in my 98.16 Nvidia drivers which i got off the LaptopVideo2Go website, this file clearly doesn't exist anymore, and in 98.16's nvgm.inf, it is referenced as:

CatalogFile = NVGM.CAT

That is amongst the few things that were noticeably different in your inf and the stock one i have with my 98.16...

Hope that helps.

I think I know what happened. The cat references don't matter, but the name of the inf might. Please try renaming the inf to nvgm.inf, when you get a chance, and see if that works any better.

Thanks!

I did do that to begin with, and it didn't work.

HOWEVER, i didn't try to run the setup without changing the naming of your INF however. Would that have affected anything?

The Setup app that comes with that driver will look for nvgm.inf so I thought that might be the problem. I installed by using that method (renaming the inf to nvgm and running setup).

The recommended method is to just leave the name as I have it and use the "have disk" method of installing. Instead of running Setup, you do an "Update Driver" in the Device Manager, and tell it you want to install your own driver and that you have your own disk. Browse for the driver with the modified inf and you should be all set.

One other potential conflict - make sure that you remove all other infs from the driver when you add mine. It's possible the setup routine is taking its information from the wrong inf.

Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate it!

Ah... indeed it does work if i install it via have disk method. I usually just point it to the folder where the drivers are located and let windows take care of the rest. Thanks.

But is there a way for it to work right off the setup file?

And don't mention it, its no biggie :)

For me, renaming the inf to nvgm.inf (and deleting the old nvgm.inf) let me use the Setup file. I think renaming it to nv_dispd.inf would also work with Setup, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks again!

ah... so it does work >.> which means that i probably did something somewhere wrong to begin with... thanks anyway :x

• 1 month later...

March 4, 2009

- Updated Windows 7 inf for driver 98.16. Significant improvements. I recommend using this inf with Windows 7.

Unfortunately, 98.16 is still the most recent driver we can use.

• 2 months later...

May 5, 2009

- Updated Windows 7 inf for driver 98.16. Major changes from the March 4 inf, which didn't work well at all with the Windows 7 Release Candidate.

- Added inf for XP driver 169.72, which is the best driver in the 16x-17x series for the FX Go5200. You do need to uninstall whatever you're currently using before installing this, but it should work well.

There are some significant changes in both infs, so let me know if something doesn't work correctly.

May 6, 2009

- Another update to the Windows 7 inf. I can get GREAT gaming performance in Windows 7 with the 169.72 XP driver, which I can't even approach with the 98.16 Vista driver that allows Aero Glass with Windows 7.

This new Windows 7 inf is slightly better, but it falls far short when gaming. If you really want good Windows 7 gaming performance and don't mind giving up Aero Glass, I highly recomment the 169.72 XP driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry,

great site! You have put an awesome amount of work in here.

I have one question. I want to install the 169.72 driver for my Dell Inspiron 5150 with the nvidia geforce 5200 go as you mention it is a good driver for this card.

I go to the download page:

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/xp/169.72

I can download the driver files, but the link to the inf file is dead. Is this file missing?

Best regards,

Chris.

-Edit: Just been reading through some posts and notice that 84.98 was mentioned as good for streaming video (CBChapman). Is this still the driver recommended for streaming video?

Edited by mtp500

No - I recommend 169.72 for everything now. My customized inf for the Insprion 5150 is at the bottom of the first post in this thread. Look for nv4_16972.inf

Be sure to uninstall your current driver first. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Guest Seth

Larry, thanks so much for your hard work on this. I'm running the RC of Win7, and had been trying all kinds of combinations of drivers/INFs from this site (with no luck). The 98.16 driver with your nv_9816_W7.inf worked perfectly. I was surprised to be able to run the Aero Glass theme (although that causes issues with the "slideshow" background feature).

Thanks again!