LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

I'm glad it's working, Seth. Yes, I was happily surprised that Aero works as well as it does. Now, if nVidia wouldl just give us something more recent than 98.16!

I haven't entirely given up on newer drivers - I just haven't managed to get anything working yet.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately, no. When I get a chance, I'll experiment with some different configurations and see if I can figure out what's going wrong, but for now it doesn't work.

In the meantime, unless you're a gamer, 98.16 isn't a horrible driver and does give you Aero.

Guest kane81

problem with 98.16 is video stutters under full screen, but not when windowed..... and under 169.72 windowed video stutters, but full screen doesnt!!!!!!

go figure....

so I'm going full screen with video - which means 169.72 - problem I get is video image slicing.

I want to turn vsync = true in the nvidia control panel to stop the slicing. but of course no control panel.

I found that powerstrip can turn vsync on, so I did it that way.

That's a good idea. I used RivaTuner for the same purpose. That slicing is actually caused by the player's video engine using VMR instead of Hardware Overlay. One of the DVD switches controls that in XP, but it doesn't work with W7.

And yes, full-screen video does perform poorly with the 98.16 driver. I didn't realize it was better in windowed mode. I'll have to try that. Gaming performance seems to be controlled the same way as video - with 98.16, it stutters badly, while performance with 169.72 is similar to Windows XP. I've read in other forums that game performance is much better in windowed mode, so there's someting about full-screen mode that kills performance.

Anyway, please pass along anything else you find. Thanks!

Hi Larry,

thanks for the reply. I installed the 169.72 drivers on my Dell 5150 and streaming video seems much better.

I have one issue: when the laptop goes into system standby after say 10 minutes of inactivity, when I go to power back up I only get a black (blank) screen and cannot get the screen back and have to remove the battery and boot the machine from scratch. Is this a known problem with this version of the drivers or is there a setting to use with system standby?

Regards and thanks,

Chris.

It was a problem, but I thought I'd solved it. I guess not. You'll probably discover that the the same thing happens if you use Fast User Switching to go to another user profile, then try to return to the first one. In the inf, try setting

One thing you can try: Look for the ModesetBlankDelay line in the modded inf and change it from 0 to 1 and reinstall. Don't hold your breath, though.

Of course what we REALLY need is a newer vista or W7 driver that we can make work with the Go 5200. I haven't given up.

would anyone recommend the best and newest driver for my Geforce Go5200 64MB. It's a

Dell Inspiron 8600 :)

just a note, I have tried the last few newer drivers with modified inf no matter how I tried to install it, it will not stick. I reboot and the driver is installed in the control panel but it's not working in device manger

Had to revert back to the WDDM driver

Edited by sullysnet

5200 + newest drivers = bad equation. 169.xx are the latest that work well.

5200 + newest drivers = bad equation. 169.xx are the latest that work well.

good to know... do you have a recommended 169. version that you like?

Re LSudlow good drivers are at least 98.16 and 169.72.

thanks for the info, actually 98. series is the only one so far that has worked for me. I cannot get 169. series to work even with the modded inf. 169.72 is an XP driver and I think that is one I tried to use. Not sure if it is cause it's an XP driver or something else.

I will hoping I could get a driver with the newer control panel to work :)

Don't remember exactly where the support totally stopped; 175.xx should still work, maybe even upto 177.xx but they may have some problems. More info should be available from this site, do a search.

Sullysnet, I suspect you're running Vista or W7 - Right? If so 98.16 is the most recent driver that works.

I hope to find something more recent that I can modify to work for the Go 5200, but for now that's the best you can do.

thanks guys, yes I am running Vista SP2 and I have the 5200 64MB model. 98.16 worked fine besides me wanting the newer control panel. Not sure of the quality or performance from

the WDDM drive to the 98.16 driver. I will have to test it again and compare.

thanks for you hard work if you could get a newer one to work that would be sweet but it is nice enough that you could get the 98.16 to work for us

June 9, 2009

- Updates to both the 98.16 inf for Windows 7, and the 169.72 inf for XP. In both cases, I updated the R&T sections and reorganized the inf to more closely reflect nVidia's current structure. Also a few minor fixes here and there.

As always, please let me know if something doesn't work correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

June 22, 2009

- Incorporated Dox's fix for PowerMizer disabling in the two current infs (169.72 for XP and 98.16 for Windows 7).

It should work fine, but let me know if you spot any problems. Thanks.

June 25, 2009

- Incorporated Dox's excellent D3D tweaks in the two current infs (169.72 for XP and 98.16 for Windows 7). One immediately noticable improvement is video performance in Windows 7. Where some of my video files were laggy and stuttered to the point of unwatchability, they are now much smoother. Thanks, Dox!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Larry (and others),

First of all: Thanks for the tremendous amount of time, effort and energy you are investing in this forum. What an excellent job!

I hope I have a 'generic problem' which will be easily to solve for you guru's here.

Did a recent clean install (no upgrade!) of Vista Ultimate 32 bit on my Dell Inspiron 5150 (with 2 gb of RAM and the UXGA display). It has the famous FX Go 5200 display adapter.

The only thing I really want is to run "full" Aero. I don't want gaming or other special apps, I just want to have the nicest looking Windows Vista possible.

No matter what I try, I keep getting a "Desktop performance for Windows Aero" of 1,0. Processor is at 4,0, RAM at 4,2, Gaming graphics at 2,3 and hard disk at 3,9. So I assume the Desktop performance is the problem here.

I have read a lot on this forum and tried many drivers. With each attempt, I unstalled the previous display adapter driver (using Device manager) and I didn't forget to check the box that asks to delete the driver software as well. With each attempt, I rebooted after both deleting the old driver. After reboot, I was in 800 x 600 (or something similar) mode and device manager reported a Standard VGA adapter.

I downloaded the drivers and the corresponding modified .inf file. Unpacked the driver to a folder, checked the name of the original .inf in this folder, renamed the downloaded modified .inf to the name of the original .inf and moved it to the folder, overwriting the original .inf. I used the "have disk method" and pointed Windows to the modified .inf. Got the message about installing software that is not digitally signed, and overruled it. In all my attempts, I did not get any fatal error messages. I did get a message stating the FX5200 was succesfully installed and that changes would take effect after rebooting. And after rebooting, the installed driver version was reported by the device manager and I was able to switch to 1600 x 1200 resolution. Each time, I ran a new performance check to see if the "Desktop performance for Windows Aero" became higher than 1,0. During the check, I did not get an error message stating that the driver had stopped and succesfully restarted. So everything looks to be installing nicely, but for improving the score of 1,0: No luck so far.

So, I think I do not have an installation problem. Did I do something wrong? Guess not.... Maybe I'm just running the wrong choice of drivers.

Again, my main goal is to get Aero Glass running in Windows Vista 32 Ultimate. No fancy gaming needs here!

Amongst other attempts I tried 98.13 with NV_9813_Vista.inf (this one: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....st&id=2313) and I tried 98.16 with NV_9816_w7.inf (this one: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....st&id=2936), because from what I learned, these are the last versions supporting Vista. I might be wrong though.

What should I do to get Aero Glass running on this machine?

Thanks a zillion!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RetroMan

Unfortunately, your results are typical for the 5150 when running Vista. It's the reason I was forced to return to XP. You've already tried usig the Windows 7 inf, which was the only thing I could think of that might have improved performance.

I highly recommend moving to Windows 7 as soon as you can. It performs much better on this laptop, and your desktop graphics score will double. Until then, even though it looks ugly, you might try dropping your resolution down to 1024x768. It won't improve your score, but the Go5200 will have less work to do.

Hi there, and thank you for your quick answer.

I was just wondering if everything I stated was correct; from what I read here, installing drivers > 98.16 is not possible (because the lack of Vista support). Is that correct?

I'm a bit confused by the alternatives. I've read about being able to install XP drivers up to a certain version (which one?). They will give better performance but won't give me aero glass. Is that correct?

And what about Win7 drivers? I'm now on 98.16 with your modified Win7 .inf file. Can I install a newer (Win7) driver in Vista 32 Ultimate?

Lotsa questions;-) Thanks!

98.16 will work fine with Vista. When I started working with W7, I started using 98.16 and left 98.13 behind. 98.16 has a very slight performance improvement and some bug fixes, but I don't think they're noticiable. It's also the very last driver that provides Aero Glass support in Vista and W7.

You can install XP drivers up through the 175.xx versions in both Vista and Windows 7 and they do deliver better gaming performance than 98.16. Unfortunately, they also tend to lock up and/or give you black screens at inopportune times. Of the newer drivers, stick with the 169 series. They give much better performance on the Go5200 than any of the 17x.xx drivers. 169.72 is the newest in that series.

Because of the problems with the XP drivers, I definitely recommend sticking with 98.16. It doesn't crash and does provide Aero Glass, which is more than Microsoft or nVidia think we should have.

• 1 month later...
Guest shaunskie

hi larry,

a friend asked my to get their inspiron 5150 usable for them yesterday and the specs were more than enough to run windows 7 so i went ahead. everything was a breeze except video. The Dell XP drivers were very stable but didn't offer aero. This wasn't completely necessary but i like a challenge and in my searches i came across this thread.

anyways the point is i was able to install the driver packages you suggested with varying success. 98.16 gave me aero glass but was very unstable for me, lots of flickering to black when opening windows and such, and most importantly sleep didn't work for me.

searching from other sources( i don't remember) suggested using 97.46 for their toshiba. I followed his advice of modifying the 97.46 for the Inspiron 5150 the best i could be pulling device ID string out of the .inf from dell and acheived success installing. sleep now works, flickering is gone and seems pretty stable, so far. the exception is when the resolution is maxed to 1400x1050 but that is not an issue for me as since the screen suposedly has 2 native resolution(just what I read)

anyways mostly i just wanted to share my success with everyone who helped me get to where i was. i can post my .inf if anyone wants it.

also not a big deal at all but is there an easy way to disable 1400x1050 in the inf so my friend doesn't unknowling set it to that?

thanks larry

Thanks for some great information! You should be able to modify my inf to work with 97.46 by just copying the DriverVer line from the 97.46 inf to mine.

Go down to the HKR,, NV_Modes line and remove any resolutions higher than you want. I've found that the 5150 gets the best performance out of Windows 7 at 1024x768, but that may just be my personal preferance.

Good luck with it, and please let us know how it works out. Thanks!