LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Try 71.44 with my nv4_disp.inf If that fails there's definitely something else going on. The only time I've seen that message is either with leftover garbage files or corrupted files. Answer Yes when asked if you want to replace a newer file with an older one.

Also, if that fails, try going into the Windows Services (under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel) and disable the Nvidia Display Driver Service. (Go ahead and Stop it while you're there.) I'm curious to see if that makes a difference.

Let me know what happens. Thanks!

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest LURIAHS

Hey Guys..... i have not read everything in this thread but think maybe is mine the same problem as in this thread...

Problem:

It is just recently that, my Dell Inspiron 5160 suddenly cant seem to handle graphics software...

I used to be able to play HALO game on it but not now. I tried restoring the whole system using the Norton PC System Restore fucntions, to the state when it first come from Dell (using all the very first drivers and softwares from Dell). And still computer becomes laggy when playing videos, cant launch my HALO game but lag like crazy!! Even simple flash games hangs on me. HoW??? Whats wrong here? I suspect that it was due to the hot temperature (but even after booting from cold, off state, still cant seem to play)....due to software (i've updated windows after the restore, maybe due to windows live messenger beta, tried updating graphic driver but no positive results), .....but after using a memory RAM clearing software, after clearing RAM, can play a bit better but still have major lag problem.... even RAM memory was clear up to 200 MB,...

it seems like graphics card problems.....

haaaaaa!!! somebody help me......

Guest Plectrum

Hello, I'm just wondering if there's a fix for something I've noticed about the performance of my i5150 with 64mb geforce fx go5200. I'm using driver version 67.66 I believe, although I've tried versions and still have the problem. When I run any overlay or anything with graphics accelerated by the video card ie direct 3d or opengl application, my computer slows down a lot whenever I hold the mouse over something like start menu or an icon where a little window comes which in the case of the start menu says "click here to begin" or for recycle bin says "contains the files and folders you have deleted". I don't understand how something so insignificant such as this cause everything to slow down and makes the processor work incredibly hard (it's load goes up to 100%). Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix? It's most annoying as I like to run milkdrop as a back ground but my computer slows down a lot whenever I hold the mouse over anything! Thanks

Guest WMP error rpt

I comp was working very well for the past day. I wiped everything again and put on 71.89 but it crashed again. So I disabled the nvida mander under the system tools. It worked for a bit but then crashed after my 3rd video. The computer only seems to crash durring WMP and certain online videos. Before it would crash durring any video my comp would play (NES eumlators, games,..). I'm going to take this driver off and put on 71.44 this afternoon and see how it works.

All these problems may not be related, but lets try some general troubleshooting steps to find out.

First, make sure you have a good, fast driver and that old driver remnants are out of your system. Uninstall your present driver in the Windows Control Panel, then install driver 71.44 with my nv4_disp.inf, which you'll find at the bottom of the first post in this thread. Despite the low version number, it's a brand new driver that works well with the 5150/5160, for both games and video applications. All the default settings should be fine. (If you're running on batteries, you'll get lag unless you change the PowerMizer battery setting to Max Performance.)

If that doesn't solve your problems, check for heat. Both the 5150 and 5160 are VERY prone to heat problems, and that will cause the Go5200 to slow down to prevent damage. Use a can of compressed air to blow out the cooling fins on the rear panel, next to the power adapter jack.

For video lag, try changing the VMR setting in both your video player and on the Overlay page in your Nvidia Control Panel. The setting in the Nvidia Control Panel and your media player need to match. Enable VMR in both, or disable it in both.

None of your symptoms sound like hardware problems, so maybe one of these suggestions will help.

Guest WMP error rpt

I put on 71.44. I clean the fans out every couple weeks but I didn't realized that the vent in the back also needed cleaning. Blew out all of the dust from it. Comp started running faster because of it thanks.

But the comp crashed again when I was playing a video in WMP. I have VMR enabled in both the player and in the Nvidia control panel

It sounds like we're making progress. Try some other videos, just to rule out that it's a problem with a particular video file or codec. Also try it in overlay mode, with VMR disabled.

Guest LURIAHS

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Thanks for the tips LSudlow!!! I took the time to uninstall and installing your inf, and wow!!, suddenly my computer doesnot seem to take up much RAM and page file usage is below 400 MB. Now its only about 200 to 250 MB. Computer running much faster now, even though not still lag in HALO but its alright. New menus in nVidia Settings (i've never seen before...still using the dell's old drivers with your new inf.....tried with nVidia's newest driver - 03/09/2006, 8.4.2.1, its ok but nVidia settings not able to change settings for the Powermizer).

For the cooler....it really work!! my computer is now not heating up that much....(i really need some habit of cleaning my laptop now... :) ...)...one thing about the graphics card...can i replace my laptop's graphic?

Anyway..Thank you very much, L!!

That's great news! I'm glad it's working... Thanks for letting us know!

:)

Guest WMP error

I had overlay mode on and turned off VMR on the Nvidia panel. But the player just crashed again. It seems to crash at random most often when watching online videos. I think even quicktime caruses the crash when viewing online videos. But only WMP seems to do it for file on my HD

Its starting to sound like a DirectShow or codec problem of some kind. Try installing the April DirectX update from the Microsoft site (unless someone's put up a link here somewhere). and see if it helps. Are these WMP files that are crashing?

Guest Guest

I ran a direct X diag and that woked fine. All my videos on my comp are WMP but they do not crash as much. I'm not sure what the online ones are. My psychology videos almost always cause the crash. But every ones and a while break.com causes an occational crash. I reinstalled direct x not that long ago but I'll check out this new update. thanks

Guest Guest

The driver 7series and above seem to have problem playing WMA extension video using Window media player. My com crash everytime i play the WMA video but work fine when playing with other video player such as Jetaudio and Real. I install back the 67.42 version from Dell and it works fine. Now im using 84.21 and the problem arises again. Playing game using the latest driver has shown an improvement. My solution is dont play WMA files using window media player.

That's an interesting problem. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but I'm glad you have narrowed it down a bit. If you feel like it, you might try driver 67.66 when you get a chance. It's always been one of the best drivers for the 5150/5160 and is a bit newer than 67.44. If it works for your games, it will probably run faster than the 80 series drivers.

Guest WMP error

Thanks. I used system restore to revert to a time where my comp didn't crash. My online psych videos crash almost everytie I play them so I just need to get through the semister. I think I'll try the 67 driver at that time. The driver I restored to was very bad for WMP, kept slowing down so I put on 71.89 after just added the lines for my card to the inf. I noticed that I don't even have the VMR option with either driver. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be back to messing with the card in a couple weeks.

Guest WMP error

Sorry about that last post, I'm a little burnt out and it really shows in the grammer. With your infs my video quality and performance had never been better with the exception of the crashes. I can really see the difference in quality between then and now. Thanks for all the help.

Hello guys. I using the 67.66 driver for my inspirion 5160 with geforce fx go 5200 card, 1 gig ram and 2.8 gig processor. I'm tryin to play oblivion and the godfather for pc and these games run so slow. I was wondering if someone can recommend a new driver for me to make these games run faster?

I'm currently using 71.44 for Oblivion ...but don't expect miracles. I'm only getting between 3 and 5 FPS in many places.

I'm currently using 71.44 for Oblivion ...but don't expect miracles. I'm only getting between 3 and 5 FPS in many places.

Do i need to install a special inf to get this working right and where is the link to 71.44?

Do i need to install a special inf to get this working right and where is the link to 71.44?

Oblivion is still moving extremely slow with the 71.44. What fps are you adverage and what are you doing to Speed up the game?

As I mentioned, I only get 3 -5 fps in many areas, especially in the opening cell. It moves better after that.

The keys to even getting that are to set the number of frames to render ahead to 0 (in the Additional D3D settings of the nvidia control panel), and to turn off grass and specular filtering entirely. I run with most of the distance sliders at around 25%. And I set "Image Settings" to High Performance in the nvidia control panel.

Search the hardware section of the Oblivion forum. You'll find many tips and tweaks for speeding things up. I know the Oldblivion mod really helps a lot of FX 5200 users.

Guest WMP Crash

Hello again. I was getting some poor video quality reciently so I decided to put driver 84.21 back on. I just added the lines for the 5200 Go like I used to but while I was watching a yahoo video, the comp crashed again. This never used to happen and I was using the inf I used in March. I don't even have an option for VMR with this one. I was wondering if this case mihgt give you some new idea's on what is happening. This driver used to work fine on my comp. I must have screwed someting up back in April when I was trying to get Oblivion to play well. I've sence removed Oblivion but something must be wrong here. If you have any more ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks

I wish I did have a suggestion. As I mentioned earlier, it sounds like a DirectShow or codec problem of some kind. If so, you can try one of the codec packs that are available at www.free-codecs.com or www.divxmovies.com. Did you try the April update for Direct X? You can get it at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.mspx

Also, it sounds like you're modifying your own infs. If you haven't tried one of mine (at the bottom of the first post of this thread) give one a try and see if it helps.

Guest WMP

I had the April version of Direct X. But I decided to reinstall media player and that seemed to help a bit, I also installed the divx codecs today and have not had any problems yet. I"m going to try putting 71.44 back on and hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks

What you reccomend for best video and movie quality. Still 71.44?

Guest WMP

Sorry spoke to soon. It seems to be only a problem with streaming video. None of the ones on my comp cause problems anymore. break.com doesn't cause that many problems anymore either. But the crash only seems to happen online.