LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Larry's INFs for Dell 5150/5160

LSudlow

Hello there! some of you probably were waiting for a response from me about the small benchmarking test i was doing... so well, they're in! O_o so let me show them...

Battlefield 2 v1.30 on 800x600, Low details all, no anti-aliasing, no anisotropy, 100% view distance, Hardware sound on High Quality with EAX enabled (GeForce Go5200 240/480) Map=Strike At Karkand 16 Player Map, 16 Bots (This is all the 5150 is capable of in my pc shut up =_= its still playable though)

- FPS results on Larry's v71.44 Drivers -

15 Minute Gameplay

15min71.jpg

Minimum= 2.87

Average=14.84

Maximum=38.42

1 Minute No Motion Results

1min71.jpg

Minimum=12.81

Average=17.18

Maximum=19.68

- FPS results on Omega's Forceware v66.93 Drivers in Performance drivers -

15 Minute Gameplay

15min66.jpg

Minimum=1.94

Average=16.19

Maximum=43.31

1 Minute No Motion Results

1min66.jpg

Minimum=13.18

Average=16.26

Maximum=19.10

Results certainly are interesting aren't they? During gameplay the average fps seems higher... where as standing still, the FPS seems slower O_o and trust me, i used the same spawnpoint for both =_=

Pictures to be added soon

Edited by HaMsTeYr

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• kane81

• halo_djk

• HaMsTeYr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting results... Thanks for posting!

I'm not surprised by the results. The 67 series drivers definitely outperform the 71 series on the Go5200, but it's not a big difference. The 71 series is a bit more compatible with recent games, which makes it a worthwhile tradeoff.

Very interesting results... Thanks for posting!

I'm not surprised by the results. The 66 series drivers definitely outperform the 71 series on the Go5200, but it's not a big difference. The 71 series is a bit more compatible with recent games, which makes it a worthwhile tradeoff.

Hello guys. Im trying to play PREY on my laptop with the 5200 video card. What driver do you guys recommend for me to get the best perfomance for this game.

You pretty much have the choice you copied in your reply. 67.66 or 67.91 for best framerate, or 71.44 for a bit more compatibility. I would start with one of the 67 drivers. If you have trouble, move up to 71.44.

Prey... heh... i tried playing Doom3 on my laptop once... too low of a FPS... gave up. The game wasn't even scary anyway... i did finish quake 4 though... on my desktop.

Anyone know whether Prey uses a modified engine from that of quake 4?

Prey and Quake 4 and some other games all use a moddified form of the Doom3 engine, while I haven't actually played quake 4, which I heard isn't that good anyway, I have beaten Prey on my laptop and it runs much better and looks nicer in a lot of ways than Doom3.

I run Prey at 800x600 with medium textures, meduim Shaders

The higher shader settings (above med) only work on DX9 cards, just so you guys know (FX5200 could probably run high shaders, or atleast a faster FX card)

In addition to those options, I have AA, AF, and Vsnyce turned off, and all the other options are yes or no, I have them all set to yes. :)

Singleplayer runs quite well with those settings on my laptop, online its hard to tell as it lags, but I think its mostly net lag, and the engine isn't that optimized for many players, and their are/were only about 30 servers so far, no stand alone dedicated server yet either. (turning down graphics didnt help with online lag).

My sig isn't entirely up to date, but I am currently running the Quadro4 700 GoGL 64MB, P4-M mobile northwood @ 2GHz, and 1 GB of RAM.

Now that I have upgraded from 512MB, I HIGHLY suggest you do too if you game.

I am currently still using 82.10, games run smooth and everything on it, just like all my other games, you guys in this topic should ask Larry about your drivers, but any recent series (66.93+) should work in Prey I imagine.

Also, none of guys can have my 1337 limited DVD collectors edition of Prey either. :)

Also, none of guys can have my 1337 limited DVD collectors edition of Prey either.

=_= i don't think i'll need it anyway... You're not using a 5150 =_= unlike us OTHER people using a N00b 5150 THAT IS SOO GOD DAMNED SUCKY... u can play ur nice lil games ^^ I couldn't even play doom 3 on 640x480 everything low without jerking to death. =_=

I finished Quake 4 on General Difficulty (which is the hardest difficulty) on my desktop =P if there's one thing u notice bout the game its that the ai is bad at hitting jumping targets. lol...

I used to use the 82.10, but at the moment i'm running my own set of drivers which I customed O_o i get roughly the same FPS in games for a far more enhanced eyecandy... ^^ Using the 84.26.

Also another thing i tried was Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Unfortunately for me, they don't run on the 66.93 drivers =_= everything is just black lol...

Yeah as i mentioned before, i actually find some newer drivers run better in latest games despite what many might say bout the 71.44 being really fast.

Hey man I don't know what your laggs give in the game. But I play cs:s and have the same laptop. I had some slomotion laggs. But that was because my pc was overheating. When You have the same problems just try and buy some compressed air and clean out your fans. The game is running very very good on my laptop. The only trouble is that my fans get full of dust once a month. Try it. And use the driver 66.77 it's great. Good Luck!

Did you mean 66.77 or 67.66? Both are legitimate driver versions, but 67.66 is the better of the two. It runs most games wonderfully and practically seems designed for the Go5200. I'm back to using it again after several months with 71.44, mostly because I get a slightly better framerate in Oblivion. I'm not sure we'll ever see a better driver for the 5150/5160.

Your advice about cleaning the fan/vents is right on the money. Thanks!

:)

Hi Larry,

I was hoping you could help. I'm currently running forceware 67.66 with your original .inf for a Go5200 card. I've been noticing that cutscenes within games that run from .bin files are running with staggered sound, though the video seems to be fine.

In addition, I have just bought titan quest and have found that as the game starts all is fine but the frame rate seems to degrade as I play to the point that you just have to leave the machine to it's own devices for a while to sort itself out. I've tried my best to sort out the over heating issues with this machine and was wondering if there is anything I can tweak with the graphics card to help things along. (The only other game that has been this bad was Diablo II)

Bit off topic (sorry I'm fumbling about abit was all this self help stuff), I've been using SpeedswitchXP 1.4 and I8KFan Gui to try and help things out (I know the later isn't to spec) and was wondering if you had any thoughts on how to keep this pig of a machine cool.

It's a shame us newbs often don't realise that the problem is actually the machine rather than user error until Dell's warranty is well and truely expired :-(

Thanks in advance.

I hear you about Dell. The slowing down problem (as you've figured) probably is due to heat.

One trick I've recently discovered is to set "Max Frames to render ahead" (under Additional Direct3D settings) to 0. That seems to speed things up and reduce the stress and heat load on the chip quite a bit.

Guest Guitarflip

Hi All

This is probably a very dumb question, but is there any way to change the video card in a 5150 to something that supports DVI out rather than VGA? I am looking to connect directly to an HDTV and the VGA/HD converter box has been unusable....)

Guest Guest

I own a 5150 laptop. May i know what is the use of fx 5200 graphic card? It doesnt seem to help running any game at all. I even requested for an upgraded from 32mb to 64mb. I am really dont know why nVidia produced this so called graphic card that dun allow use to play game..Sigh

GuitarFlip, there's no swap that I know of. Your best bet would be to find an HDTV with a VGA connector (unless you already own a TV that doesn't have one).

Guest, you're right. The Go5200 is not a good gaming card. Our challenge has been to make it at least tolerable, but for most of today's games it just doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

I own a 5150 laptop. May i know what is the use of fx 5200 graphic card? It doesnt seem to help running any game at all. I even requested for an upgraded from 32mb to 64mb. I am really dont know why nVidia produced this so called graphic card that dun allow use to play game..Sigh

Well, if u got the laptop 2-3 years ago like i did, you'll actually realise that IT WAS a gaming laptop, probably still is, just that for the least taxing games. Even when it was released, it was the lower end gaming laptop in that sense. Too bad the Fx series of Nvidia cards are sooo GHEy. =_=

In my opinion, don't even bother getting the 64mb now, its not worth it, and u can get a newer laptop with better specs now =_=

Your arguement in that sense is not valid as well... it WAS and probably still is a low end gaming card (extremely low end and crappy in my opinion, though i own one >_>). You can still play alot of games with it in many other cases.

To the reply of the stuttering sounds and slowdown issues, i couldn't get mine fixed until i got dell to take my laptop back, and i told them that i'm not accepting it back till it can play that video file (bink video, which keeps on stuttering with matrix videos, also affects games) fine. Turns out that they did get it right and i got it back just fine.

M8's i'll repeat this again. FORGET GETTING THIS S-O-B OF A LAPTOP UPGRADED, GET A NEW ONE >_>

• 1 month later...

Can someone confirm if 91.47 will work with the supplied INF file. Its a NV_4DISP.INI. Whats confusing me is that INF is the basic inf for the 60-70 driver sets, not even for the 80 set. so why did Nvidia go back to the old inf type, or do I have to delete the nv_4disp and add a nv_84_disp istead for the newer features?

Pieter's inf should work fine. I haven't had time to customize a 90 series inf for the 5150/5160 yet.

Thanks for all the great info you provide on the Dell 5150. I haven't had a chance to install the the drivers I want to install yet, but I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Guest SoggyToast
To the reply of the stuttering sounds and slowdown issues, i couldn't get mine fixed until i got dell to take my laptop back, and i told them that i'm not accepting it back till it can play that video file (bink video, which keeps on stuttering with matrix videos, also affects games) fine. Turns out that they did get it right and i got it back just fine.

Those types of stuttering issues are usually caused by overheating issues with the 5150. When the processor gets too hot, its speed steps down causing some strange thing to happen. Its well documented that the 5150 has one of the worst designed ventilation systems among laptops.

For anyone out there with similar problems, the cheap solution is to get some canned air and spray it into the ventilation holes in the back and bottom of the laptop. Stand back and watch the massive chunks of dust fly out.

Back on topic, thanks for the driver tools and info. I hope these will have at least some noticible effects in some games

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I had some slowdown issues on my inspiron 5150, even in very old 2D games (Indiana Jones :s). I tried to clean the fan, tested several drivers... nothing changed at all.

I finally tried to remove SP2, and now with XP SP1 it works fine, no more lag, but there is no more updates for SP1...

Do I need to trim something in the video driver to support SP2 correctly ???

All testing was done with SP2, so the driver shouldl work correctly. Be sure you are using the latest BIOS (A38), which has some changes specifically geared to SP2 - especially the ability to update your CPU's microcode. Also, there are two other settings that sometimes install incorrectly despite my best efforts:

1. Go into the PowerMizer settings and make sure it is set for Maximum Performance. For some reason it gets set to "Balanced" on some machines.

2. Go into the NView Display Settings and make sure it is set for "Single Display." On some machines it seems to default to Clone or DualView mode.

Lastly, you didn't mention which driver version you're trying to use. I highly recommend 67.66, which almost seems designed for the Go5200 GPU, or if you must have something newer, try 71.44, which is the newest (and last) driver that supports our version of PowerMizer. Both are excellent drivers for the 5150.

Larry could you help this lost sheep... Inspiron 5150 user upgrading to 5200 64Mb.

ps: what are the possible resolutions for the 5150 screen?

I wish I had more advice for him, but all your answers are exactly right. It look like an EDID problem of some kind.

Great! I'm glad it's working!