LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Please help - monitor driver for 16:9 projector?

Guest RichM

Guest RichM

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could help with a configuration problem I have.

A few days ago I splashed out on a VW10HT 16:9 projector and plugged it into my PCs 5700 Ultras 15 DSub output (using a professionally made 15D to component cable by a friend of mine).

However when booted WinXP detected a new monitor and installed default monitor drivers. Although the projector is capable of 1344x768 resolution natively, and the 5700 can do 1360x768, I can't actually get the projector to receive anything other than a 1024x768 signal. So DVDs are now squashed horizontally into 1024, and then letterboxed to maintain aspect ratio; resulting in only using half the available picture.

I think it's to do with the default monitor driver but Sony support confirmed they do not do a monitor driver for the projector :) I've also tried a variety of settings using the Svid output which has extended the pictures width but has screwed the aspect ratio.

Any ideas on hacking the monitor drivers/INFs or a driver for a genuine widescreen monitor that I can force WinXP to use?

Any help gratefully received.

Rich

Rich,

From v20.35 there will be support for 1366x768.

Can you make sure that this is the right resolution.

I can modify the driver INF to include that resolution.

This will take a day or so to sort out (many projects on the go)

Pieter.

Right I have done my best the GPU can now output 1366x768.

Now I hope it works at your end.

You'll need to download a driver with modded INF v20.35 or higher then reinstall.

And you should hopefully have the resolution you require.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

Guest RichM

Thanks for your help. Is this a monitor driver or a graphics card driver? I think it's the defauylt monitor driver that restricting my display? Cheers

Rich

Ahh a quick Google search (http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/vw10ht_faq.shtml#HTPC) and I found the problem.

Connecting the 10HT to a home theater computer (HTPC)

You need a VGA to 5 RCA phono cable. See the cable section above fordetails.

The biggest problem with using a computer to play DVDs is that the Sony locks into 4x3 mode when it detects any of the standard computer resolutions, and you can?t select "Full"mode to fill up the screen. If you use a card that can handle non-standardresolutions (the Nvidia GeForce and the Matrox G200 & G400),and create a 1366x768 resolution, the Sony will effectively scaleit to 1024x768 and still lock to 4x3. There is some hope thatSony will change this with a new firmware revision, but for nowthere is no way to drive the whole panel at 1366x768.

However, if you have one of the above-mentioned cards, you cancreate an 1184x666 resolution, with the appropriate front/backporch settings so that the Sony will recognize it as 720p HDTV.You will need either the Matrox Powerdesk software, or a programcalled PowerStrip which allows custom resolutions on supportedcards. The Powerdesk program can be downloaded from matrox (www.matrox.com) if it wasn?tincluded with your install disks, and PowerStrip can be purchasedfrom Entech at http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

Here are the numbers you need to create the custom resolution:

720p50Hz  720p60HzPixel rate      64500000  74520000Visible pixels  1184      1184Front porch/H   138       138Sync pulse/H    56        56Back porch/H    342       278Visible lines   666       666Front porch/V   31        31Sync pulse/V    6         6Back porch/V    47        47

There is nothing we can do, Sony will have to release a new firmware to fix this problem.

You can get Powerstrip and try the above custom resolution.

Good luck with this,

Pieter.