LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Is an MXM laptop worth it?

Guest foft

Hi all, I am looking into a new laptop and gaming is the emphasis. On a budget.

The contenders are:

CPU = Pentium M 770 2.13Ghz and a go 6600 256mb MXM type 1&2 (PCIe)

CPU = Turion 64 MT-40 2.2Ghz and a MR X700 128 (PCIe)

All else being equal. I know the X700 is better but I like nVidia and want to know if I get the 6600 MXM will there be anything to upgrade to? MXM was announced quite a while ago and there are still no options available.

Also will the 6600 run current demanding games (D3 HL2) well?

And are these CPU/GPU pairings good or lopsided?

I am leaning towards the 6600 because I hope I can later upgrade to something better than the X700 but I dont want to get screwed if no better MXM cards are made.

And generaly, which setup seems better? Thanks in advance.

You may in the future be able to upgrade to the go7600 (if it comes out).

This should have the same power requirements (maybe even less).

There are 3 sizes of MxM boards, the go6200 comes on a small board, the go6600 comes on a medium bard and the go6800 on a large one.

You should theoretcily be able to put in the same size boards.

The X700 is a faster overall GPU with more RAM onboard.

nVidia have a go6600 GT, but I have not seen this forsale yet.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I know they have the three bord sizes, I was just wondering if someone knew something I did not about the MXM roadmap. Also is 90nm process being used for these boards? If not maybe a 90nm go6800 Ultra is possible in the future or even a 7800...mmm...7800..........

Grrr, I hope the whole MXM idea has not been abandoned by nVidia, I thought it was great. In short, is there a future for it or should I go with an X700?

• 3 weeks later...
You may in the future be able to upgrade to the go7600 (if it comes out).

This should have the same power requirements (maybe even less).

There are 3 sizes of MxM boards, the go6200 comes on a small board, the go6600 comes on a medium bard and the go6800 on a large one.

You should theoretcily be able to put in the same size boards.

The X700 is a faster overall GPU with more RAM onboard.

Do you know if the 6600go 128mb in the Toshiba M40 would be upgradable like this?

Guest hannibal

LOL ! Me too !

Two year old Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop with ample 1920x1200 monitor seeks late model, high performance, video card for late night gaming, pointless benchmarking and strolls across the Internet.

From what I read somewhere my laptop cannot be upgraded with a better vid card because there simply isn't enough space in the laptop and the motherboard and BIOS are not made/designed for a different brand/size card. I am sure this is the case with many laptops. Only recently have video cards become upgradeable in some laptops.

I think you can get a QuadroFX or GF FX card in your laptop hannibal, might be hard to find and probably very expensive though. (especially the QuadroFX go)

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 6600GT on my desktop. I'm not sure how it would campare but I'm very satisfied with it.

I think it is the best GPU around at this time with an appropriate price.

No idea whether my lappie has MXM slot or just o/b GPU, but I can tell you the go6600 is pretty respectable.

Currently playing BF2 @ 1024x768 with low/med settings, avg FPS is 40-50.

3dm05 scores are 2060-2090 depending on drivers.

No idea whether my lappie has MXM slot or just o/b GPU, but I can tell you the go6600 is pretty respectable.

Currently playing BF2 @ 1024x768 with low/med settings, avg FPS is 40-50.

3dm05 scores are 2060-2090 depending on drivers.

2060-2090.. i got better than yours

Toshiba Qosmio F20-111

Intel 1.83

Ram: 1.5Gb

GeForce 6600 128Mb

3DMark2005: 2207

Driver: 7.6.7.4 (comes with my laptop)

I couldnt run 3DMark2005 when using 81.95. I downloaded 82.10 and i will try :)

• 1 month later...

i really shoul register on this forum.

I have amile m 3438g 6800go 256mb with overclocking on to about 388core 739memory i got a score of 41** something.

i went from drivers that were givng me 968 3d mark 05 points to the current 4 thousand one hundred range.

wondering about this volt mod....Good idea? or bad idea? hmmmm! Penny for your thoughts..

• 1 month later...
Guest sonics6

I also have an amilo 3438g and was also wondering is nvidia actually going to support mxm? cos mxm was one of the reasons i got the laptop i did. also i was wondering what mxm cards are currently available? anyhting better than a go6800 right now or in the future?