LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Heat problems?

zipper

With many recent drivers my go5700 does following with a stressing game - so far tried Flatout as it stresses the GPU heavily:

After a couple of minutes - 5-10-15 depending of stress the GFX update collapses from about 50-60 fps to 5-10 and everything starts to crawl. A reset is needed to get speed back. I have monitored the temperatures with Speedfan and the problem occurs when the GPU core temperature rises over 80 C. But it differs wildly depending for instance on the driver version. Atm I'm using 81.40 and so far it hasn't slowed down even when the core temp was hitting over 90 C running about 10% GPU and 20% memory o/c. Some driver versions did hiccup even with no overclock. So, are there so wild differences between drivers working with elevated temperatures and high load? Btw, Speedfan causes sometimes funny effects dividing the screen into 2 or 3 narrow squashed clones of the output. The CPU temp stays between 55 - 60+ (With Sandra I could push it over 75).

I agree that it certainly sounds like throttling due to heat. You shouldn't see that much difference in drivers, though, so there may be something else going on. (It may be your CPU that's slowing, not your graphics card.)

You can see your current clock speed on the Clock Frequency Settings page of the nvidia control panel. That might give you a better picture of what's happening.

(It may be your CPU that's slowing, not your graphics card.)

Probably not. With help of math tests by Sandra I could test that the CPU throttles down on temperatures exceeding 70 C and not more than 50% down. On games it stays round 60 C.

Tested 81.84 pushing the GPU temp 90+ quite long, CPU hovering between 65-70.

No slowdowns, so for my go5700 a good driver.

Yes, it's turning out to be a good driver for many of us.

Thanks for the update!