LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Absolute newbe wondering whats wrong with my lappy

has33

Processor hangs & computer restarts.

Pls welcome me with a soln. It happens in most of d games...HF-2 (stage 2), Doom-3 (right in d begining after d scan), halo (near d end of d 1st level), FarCry (7th level "Tree house"), F.E.A.R (WHERE EVER IT FEELS LIKE) :) . Only game running fine is NFS U2. I tried a few diff. drivers...most didnt work...d 1s dat worked r 71.84 (preinstalled), 78.01 (Guru) & V74.00 (Acer site). But didnt solve my problem...Hoping its just a simple thing 4 D PROS out here... :) ...so...what say...what should I do???

Also guide me 2 thread or a link dat will teach me d trick 2 install d drivers on dis site...ThanQ ppl...will repay by kicking Ur butt on multiplayer

The driver in my sig should be sufficient.

It does sound like you might be having an overheating problem, but clean the dust off of your laptop, and try the 77.77 driver first.

Instructions are here.

Just download and unzip the driver, then replace the INF in the driver with the moddified INF and install using the device manager.

If it still does that try running the games with the laptop in the freezer or with a big fan nearby.

Thankx 4 d help...I did every thing U asked me 2 do (except d freezer part)...but d problem persists...it has 2 b something other dan overheating, cause 1. It hangs at mostly d same spots an d same game every time & 2. It happens even when I ve just started d comp which was kept at a temp of 22*C through d night. So some other suggestions please...Btw was wondering if I could (tecnically) CHANGE my 6600?64MB for a 6600GT/128MB VRAM???

• 2 weeks later...

Matt...partialy YES...after I intsalled driver version 78.17 & replaced d INF with d modded INF thing have gotten better. Also I keep 1/5 of d base my laptop open...I dont know how 2 explain this... :) ...1/5 of the left side where lies the fan, is not on the table but just away, the rest of my laptop seems quite stable on it...that way it gets a good suction...initially I realised that the laptop was heating up the table it was kept on. So just exposing that section has helped me a lot :) .

I ve managed 2 compleate FarCry...moved ahead in F.E.A.R, halo, Doom 3, half life 2 etc BUT now I ve another more serious problem. Dont know if I should post it here or lets see if Bill is available on aim.

BTW what r d specs of Ur laptop???

Guest Matt Williams

Wow... it does seem strange that it was due to overheating! I had the same thoughts as you that it can't be due to heat as my laptop was crashing at the same point in every single game!

My laptop also has the GeForce 6600... bit of a coincidence???

I also updated my drivers to 80.40 and at the moment F.E.A.R is running perfectly! (Touch Wood!) However, Pirates! and Dawn of War Winter Assault is giving me trouble. (Although the crash on Dawn of War is only occuring on certain maps for some reason!)

I have also purchased a laptop cooler pad from ANTEC - wonder if this will make a difference, I have heard good things about them. I will let you know how I get on when it arrives if you like/

Cheers

Hey Bill...need Ur help again

I downloaded MS's new beta spyware...it worked good...found an adware, a spyware & a virus even when I had spyware sweeper, zonal alarm & norton running but just when I started 2 sweep my other (data) hard drive with d ms spyware, I heard a distinct tick sound & in a few mins d lappy stoped on its own. :) I restarted & it worked till some heavy app starts & then shuts off again... ;( ...now when ever I try 2 scan my HD it shuts off after a few mins...I played doom 3...it went on longer than it does while scanning b4 it went off... :P ...what could d problem b???

Now surfing d net & downloading works fine (a bit slower I think) even gaming seems OK but when it requires a lot of HD spining it goes off. Do U think its spyware/adware/virus related of heat related or hardware related (since I heard that tick sound as loud as a toe nail being cliped)

I want 2 get BF2 but dont know if it will work... :) ...PLS HELP

Unfortunately it sounds like you need to go buy yourself a new hard disk drive, you should try not to use your current hard disk drive too much, and when you do, back up all of your important data.

It could go any day now probably, one minute it could work, next all you ever get from it again is clicking sounds. :)

I have had hard drives go cause of heat, or for no reason at all, so be warned.

As for hard disk drive recomendations, depends on how much space you want and how much money you want to spend.

I will not be able to tell you a good place to buy since your not in the USA though.

Hitachi and Seagate drives are nice and reliable.

I see you have an 80 GB, Hitachi has a new 7200 RPM 80 GB, one of the toughest 2.5 drives out there, it and its 100 GB version have the highest shock ratings for laptop drives, and it is also the fastest. (along with the 100 GB version, of course)

When my laptop drives went bad I replaced the main one with the Hitachi 7k60, no prolems since, and my current 2nd drive is actually a Toshiba 40 GB with 16 MB of cache.

I bought one from newegg.com, and the other from Zipzoomfly I believe.

Okay Bill...m going 4 the Hitachi 7200RPM 80GB hard disc...but hope U r right about the problem cause last night it worked 4 about 5 hours without crashing that included scanning 4 viruses & stuff, about an hour of Doom 3, installing Photoshop CS2 also burning about 4GB of Data & this morning it has crashed thrice already & wont even go through the installation of Adobe GoLive CS2 tryout nor will it let me play Doom 3 4 2mins :angryfire: . Also at times the temp of the HD have gone up 2 50*C at the time of crashing & at times it has crashed at just 39*C :P which means it is not heat related. So Ill B heading 4 D Hardware market in a few hours. If U check this out & think of something else that i should know, pls let me know.

Another thing...as I understand I wont b able 2 load the WIN XP Pro that I ve pre installed on my present HD (my Acer laptop came with WINDOWS XP PRO SP 2 PRE INSTALLED IN THE Seagate 4200 RPM 80 GB HARD DISC) into the new Hitachi HD or is there a way???All I ve are 1 Boot disc & 2 recovery disc & a sticker having the WIN XP Product Key but no WIN installation CD :angry: . Being an absolute newbie & the limited amount of help available in my country, have 2 relay on these forums 4 all the important things & have found this one the most helpful. :)

OH YA...As I ve asked b4 is it tecnically possible 2 change my Ge Force 6600/64MB 2 a 6600GT/128MB...what I have heard here is that it is impossible but I was hoping it could be done. :) Maybe I could increase my VRAM 2 128MB ???

@ Matt did U get the laptop cooler pad...do post Ur experience here.

You might be able to clone the drive, or atleast parts of it (windows and boot files first)

How can you not have a windows xp pro cd?

You should get your hands on one before the hard drive comes in.

Like I said before, if you hear strange toenail clipping sounds, your drive is probably a goner, or will be.

Getting a new drive and a fresh install of xp should fix the problem.

Guest hannibal

>> As I ve asked b4 is it tecnically possible 2 change my Ge Force 6600/64MB 2 a 6600GT/128MB

No it isn't possible.

>> load the WIN XP Pro that I ve pre installed on my present HD

Is there a folder called i386 on drive C ?

If so, that is the Windows CD and you need to burn it to a bootable CD. Bummer about the hard drive, I bought a 7200RPM Hitachi and it is a fast and reliable drive.

uR posts r D hardest p0sts 2 read bro N i sp33k English.

Hey Bill...I got that "toenail cliping sound" only once. Just one loud "tic". Are you sure it means hard disc problem or something else cause I know the sound that a crashed hard disc makes...that is a continous tic & much softer than that I heard that night. :) But my laptop is crashing quite regularly (just goes off) & it is different from the way it crashes due to heat while gaming (the screen goes off but the sound continues for 'bout 15 secs then just a wierd stuck sound stays for several mins till I remove the batt cause it does not respond to any buttons).

Dont know what to do...guess I will back it all up & keep using this hard disc till it crashes compleatly cause no point spending so much & then finding out that the problem was different. Anyway I hope I can reduce the heating problem by using cooling pads & adding another 512MB to my RAM.

@ Hannibal...Thanks for the i386 folder tip. As I understand by "that is the Windows CD and you need to burn it to a bootable CD" is that I am supose to burn that folder to any CDR and when I load that CD after installing the new hard drive the computer that is in DOS (as no operating system is installed in the new hard drive) will recognise this as the windows installetion CD & may even ask me for the CD Key but will load Win as an OS in the new HD ??? Hope it is that simple & about "uR posts r D hardest p0sts 2 read bro N i sp33k English" Sorry dude! I generaly post from my cell phone which is a SonyEricsson P900 which have full html browsers. This post included. I am using Opera for UIQ browser to post this post and the virtual keyboard ofcouse. So it becomes difficult to write full sentences as I dont even have ezitab...but the least I could do in return for all that you guys are doing is post using clear english. I will follow this now onwards. BTW oh sorry. By the way my next phone "SE P990" will have a full keyboard as well as a NV graphics card for hand helds. :)

Guest hannibal

>> Are you sure it means hard disc problem

Could it be the DVD/CD drive ?

My Dell laptop eats a DVD burner about every 12 months amd it always starts with the DVD drive making a ticking sound at boot.

>> As I understand by "that is the Windows CD and you need to burn it to a bootable CD" is that I am supose to burn that folder to any CDR

You need to make a bootable CD with the contents of the i386 folder on them. Nero can make the CD bootable.

>> and when I load that CD after installing the new hard drive the computer that is in DOS (as no operating system is installed in the new hard drive) will recognise this as the windows installetion CD & may even ask me for the CD Key but will load Win as an OS in the new HD

It should. Test the CDR before unplugging /changing anything.

>> I generaly post from my cell phone which is a SonyEricsson P900 which have full html browsers.

Nice :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...finally found the problem...it was the heat sink plate which was faulty & was cutting the power out to the CPU when heating up. Got it repaired. Got 2 go pick it up in a few hours.

There no compressed air solution available here in India...they hav'nt even heard of it & the cooler pad that are available here are all crap...smaller than my laptop & cheap looking...any other cooling solution available???

I m gonna try Quake 4 & BF 2 tonight...so might keep some cooler handy.

Oh ya the Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD is not yet launched in India & wont be launched for the next 6 months atleast...3 world country crap.

Exchanged my 2x256MB RAM for 2x512 MB RAM...will change my specs when I m on a comp (posting from my cellphone : :) : atm oh sorry...at the moment)

What else should I change/upgrade 2???

Thanks for all the help & concern.

Alright guys...after I changed my heat sink plate all the games (Doom 3, Call of duty 2, F.E.A.R, Halo etc) work fine till I start charging. It seems charging my laptop is causing some extra heating that is making any game to hang. Tried connecting to the AC power & using the laptop without the battery but still hangs. Guess need to get some chills (cooling equipments). I am happy playing games on DC power till then. Pls post if anyone has some other options.

Did you add any thermal paste to the cpu and heatsink ?

This can make a big dfference to the heat transfer.

Guest YetAnotherGuest

If you still have heat problems (and even if you don't) you could try undervolting your CPU to reduce the heat it gives and get more operating time on battery. For great instructions on how to do this go here: http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=70943 and read the first post there.

I've done this myself and it works. Recommended.