LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FPS recovery for SWG w/ GeForce FX Go5200?

Guest Walsingham

Guest Walsingham

I have a Dell 8600 w/ nVidia GeForce FX 5200 (64mb), got 1/25g Ram, plenty of hdd free...

Problem is that I'm NOT running at an extreme rez, but am getting incredibly slow or erratic fps in Star Wars Galaxies.

In the past, after a little wrangling I had the game operating at a survivable fps with medium grfx settings in game. Recently however, I had to reformat/reload the system, and since then I am just getting hammered at fps (often as low as 2 or 1 in tough situations). Forget going into space or getting into some of the more interesting instanced dungeons.

What am I missing or doing wrong in my settings? At this time, I'm running with everything seemingly pinned to the lowest rez options, and still am not getting consistent results. Got the most recent drivers, Bios for sys and vid, ...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

<edit> after reading through many of this forum's messages - I've blown compressed air through the fans and the case's vents. I've not yet cracked the case to do a more thorough cleaning. Again, the most significant drop in performance happened after the reinstall (which was replicated).