LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Unable to run nerd.cmd!!

Guest ROGERBID

Guest ROGERBID

Hi all, I wanted to gather all the required information by running nerd.cmd but couldn't even do that!

If someone can please advise me how to run a .cmd file, I can supply the full details and go from there! (I have a Toshiba Satellite 2510CDS and want to change the screen resolution!)

Hope I have arrived at the right place for some help!

Thanks, Roger

Hi Roger,

A cmd file is just like a batch file. Just double click it and run. The data will be collected in a text file for you to look at.

Guest ROGERBID

Thanks Teraphy for replying!

However, there must be something I have done wrong, because when I double click on nerd.cmd, I get the 'Open With' window! The file does not appear to execute, or if it does, I have no idea where the text file is placed!! ( I downloaded the files on a desktop, and used a floppy to move them to the laptop. I unzipped the files to a folder at C:\nerd.)

If you have a moment to reply again I shall be very grateful, thanks Roger

You could try renaming the extension from CMD to BAT. Does the same thing but it might argue that too. Another alternative is to open a command prompt and execute it. [ start -> run -> "cmd" -> cd\nerd -> nerd.(bat|cmd) ]

Hi and thanks for your further advice. I am still unable to run the CMD file, despite having reformatted again and reinstalled Windows in an attempt to sort things.

In case I have made a major misake, I shall tell you what I have done so far!

(BTW, maybe I should have made it clear that I am running WIN98SE on this old laptop, it does not have the grunt to handle XP).

I started by downloading (to a floppy disk) the zip file NERD core files v1.041 and then NERD[1].cmd_v1.044.zip (the hyperlink did not take me to v1.043 as mentioned in the document at 'http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=756' I allowed replacement of the original CDM file with the new one.

All the files on the floppy have been copied to a folder on the laptop at c:\nerd.

I am attaching 2 screen shots which show the files and their addresses on the laptop.

To recap my original problem, in case you can suggest a solution without my running the NERD.cmd file, the laptop screen is locked on 640 x 480 pixels, and the desktop fills only about 75% of the available screen. I am trying to increase the display size!!

Thanks for any further advice you can offer,

Roger

There is the problem. NERD wasn't designed for Win9X. I know my files won't run and I do believe Rene uses lots of 2000/XP specific commands to get the desired values. With that said hopefully it'll save any future headache.

that's right, and that's why it's a .CMD rather than .BAT: to prevent users running the commands on a win9x system and get unpredictable results (like erasing files or the like :) )

and then NERD[1].cmd_v1.044.zip (the hyperlink did not take me to v1.043
i for got to edit and update it.

• 9 months later...

Hi Roger,

I realize that this solution is almost 9 months later, but i don't know if u solved the problem or not. In any case this is for others who may run into similar issues.

I had the same problem when I upgrated my frnd's old Toshiba Satellite 2510CDS laptop from Win 98 First Edition to Win 98 SE, where the screen size gt locked at 640x480 pixels .

Solution :

Go to Toshiba Support site ( http://www.toshiba.com/tai-new/Support.htm )

Go to Computer Systems and Digital Products section > then Downloads

Select ur laptop model (mine was Satellite 2510 CDS) > then again click on Downloads

Filter by Category > Display

Download a driver (they are .exe files)

Run the driver and follow the instructions in the notepad file that will open after you execute the driver.

Once the driver is installed, u can change the resolution to 800 x 600 pixels and restart the computer for setting to take effect.

Hope it helps.

Lavi.