LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video playback and 5200fx

Guest Apollo

I own a Nvidia 5200fx card and I'm running it on Windows Media Center 2005. The problem I'm getting is that with the latest drivers the Media Center app doesn't even show up. All I get is a black screen. Now the video playback functions normally with the 81.85 drivers but Media Center doesn't show up. Now if I go back about 10 versions or download the Media Center specific drivers from the Nvidia website and use them Media Center will show up and I can navigate the menus but the video playback only shows green and I hear sound. This same effect happens if I run video in Media player using these drivers. And with the newest drivers everything works great but Media Center won't show up with menus.

I have read lots of posts that this could be a video overlay problem but it doesn't seem to be the case. I have downloaded numerous drivers and just can't seem to get a solution to my problem.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or may know how to fix this?

TIA,

~*Apollo*~

Only a few drivers come with the MCE extensions, latest one I think is 77.79.

Not having ever tried XP MCE I'm not sure what happens when you install non MCE driver, if it removes the extensions.

Give 77.79 a whirl, and see how you get on.

You could try and grab the MCE part of this driver (in a seperate dir) and try installing this with a newer driver.

The extensions really don't do anything and certainly not anything that would cripple your use of MCE. They are just html screens that are hotlinked to be able to be run within MCE and it gives you access to HUE and SATURATION and other stuff with the remote because now there's a menu for it in html. Other than that the video drivers and stuff are the same. I tried 77.79 and no use, MCE shows up but video is green with sound. I don't think this is a MCE specific error but I don't know how to go about getting around it.

Part of the drivers from 81.85 make video work and part of the ones from 77.79 make MCE show up but I can't seem to get a working version of both...

What about turning the VMR option on in the newer drivers?

(video overlay menu in the control panal, also a setting in windows media player)

Edit: If you already said you tried this, please slap me on the head with a large trout. :) :)

Edited by Bill

With my modded INF the setting should be video overlay.

My later INFs enable this by default and my older ones just enable the ability to do so.

This normally fixes video playback problems.

If you not using my modded INF then you might not see the VMR option.

well I added the modded inf file and I must say that I'm impressed with all the extra control I have now!! Unfortunately, the VMR setting did not fix the problem. I went back to the 77.79 drivers and used the modded inf from that since those drivers I know work with MCE. But I still get green video...any other ideas? I really appreciate you help!

Thanks!

~*Apollo*~

Also enable VMR in the player if it has the ability to be enabled.

that didn't work either...and there is no setting in media center for VMR...but I get the green effect in Media Player too and I've played with all the hardware acceleration options in that and no progress :)

Time to go back to the fundamentals: Go back to the original driver and make sure it still works. If not, you may be having a problem with your video output chip or connection -- especially if you can play video in Media Player on your laptop screen but not on the external screen.

If Media Player fails with the original drivers, let us know that, too.

Also, what kind of external screen are you using? And what kind of connection?

Please attach that working inf. We'll take a look at it and see what's different. It may need a switch to contol the clock on the external video output chip. We should be able to duplicate whatever it is.

Give the new 81.85 WHQL a try and see if it behaves the same way (and also the new 82.xx driver). I've read other messages from people having MCE problems with the 80 series drivers, so you may be stuck with the 7X series until the bugs get worked out.

Here's a screenshot of the latest 82 version drivers. This is after I try to navigate a menu in MCE. Before this the whole echo effect is gone and the screen is just black. Any ideas?

post-3-11298652400_thumb.jpg

Well, as you've guessed by now, it's definitely not normal. Stick with the driver that works for now and hope this gets resolved in the future. I'm pretty much in the same boat with my machine. I try new drivers out of curiosity, but the last truly flawless driver for me was (and is) 67.66, so I keep going back to it.