LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dual monitors and go6800. Big performance hit?

MrG00DWrench

I'd like to know if running dual monitors causes a big performance hit when gaming? Ive got an alienware 7700 laptop with a 17" wide screen, and a second Liquidvideo 17". When Im gaming, I only run the game through the laptop monitor, while the second monitor idles on the desktop. Does this cause a performance drop? If so, does turning the second monitor power off (dual screen still enabled) eliminate the usage, or do I have to completely disable it through the display control panel? If thats the case, than I'd rather just live with the performance hit, as I use both monitors for organizing icons and whatnot, and I dont want to have to drag icons from one monitor to the next every time I enable/disable the second monitor. Thanks for any help!

Just pushing the power button on the second monitor will not change the fact that your card is still rendering an image for the second monitor

So turning it off will give you a performance decrease, but especially considering how fast your card is, it is probably not much of a decrease.

Check out the nview desktop manager and its hotkeys, especially the "display scheme menu" in the hotkey section.

There are many other features of the desktop manger, can switch to a different desktop at will, and maybe there is a thing that can move icons from one to the other. (and vice versa)