LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nv4_disp.dll blue screen error on Sony S570PS

slidahz

Hello all,

I'm new here and found this site after running into problems with the sony vgn-s570ps notebook I recently bought. It is 1.83Ghz 512mb ram, nvidia geforce 6400 gpu running windows xp sp2. I installed half life 2 and when I attempt to load counterstrike (i reach the loading screen) I get blue screen of death and the error is nv4_disp.dll. This happens consistently every time I load counterstrike. I searched this error and it seems to be a common issue with Nvidia cards. I was hoping anyone here could provide advice on the issue I am having. Thanks very much in advance.

Edited by ®®®

What driver(s) have you tried?

77.77 should run the game good, HL2 works nice for me with this driver.

(link in sig)

Do other games have this problem?

And what games do work?

Edited by Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. My driver version listed under the device manager is 7.7.4.2. This is what came with my notebook. I tried downloading the newest drivers from NVidia's site, but while running it I got some error about no compatible hardware found for the drivers. Do you know why I get this error? When you mention 77.77, is this just a mod of the Nvidia drivers? Thanks.

The drivers on Nvidia's main site don't currently support laptops, that is what we are here for.

You should download the 77.77 driver, unzip it, and replace the INF in the driver with the one that is also linked in my sig, and try installing the driver using the device manager.

There is a topic in the FAQ section on how to install, as well as a video I made.

If you have problems installing, just ask, also if this fixes your problem you should post about it.

• 3 weeks later...
The drivers on Nvidia's main site don't currently support laptops, that is what we are here for.

You should download the 77.77 driver, unzip it, and replace the INF in the driver with the one that is also linked in my sig, and try installing the driver using the device manager.

There is a topic in the FAQ section on how to install, as well as a video I made.

If you have problems installing, just ask, also if this fixes your problem you should post about it.

Hi Bill,

I'm back wiht my sony laptop again. This is a Sony S580PB with the nvidia 6400 turbocache. My issue is each time I load counterstrike I get that blue screen of death with the nv4_disp.dll error. Thus, I hope to try the 77.77 driver you mentioned.

I have some noob questions regarding the process as I am unfamiliar with updating video drivers. I apolgize in advance. I was a little confused about the installation process. I have a 7777.exe file, a 7777.nfo file, and a nv4_disp.inf file that corresponds to the modded inf file that was in your signature for 77.77. Please tell me if I am correct in describing the followign routine to install the drivers:

1. Run 7777.exe. This should create it's own folder in c:/nvidia/win2kxp.

2. Move the nv4_disp.inf to this newly created folder.

3. Perform the Have Disk method as described in your video and in FAQ.

What about the 7777.nfo file?

Also, if things don't go well, how would I revert back to my original setup? I'm sure there is a folder somewhere containing all the original nvidia drivers that came with the laptop but I'm not quite sure where it is.

I also read somewhere in sony notebook forums about people who installed new drivers but then had trouble with brightness control. Any advice on this?

Thank you very much in advance.

The driver EXEs on this site extract into a folder in the same location as the EXE, I have a folder for drivers, then make a folder for each driver, and in there include the exe and the INF file.

Then I extract the driver, it would go to its own 7777 folder (unless you specify otherwise. Then you put the INF in THAT folder, NOT the c:/nvidia/win2kxp folder (go and delete that one)

The instructions here show you the routine. (you should watch the vid, kinda hints at my driver directory Hirearchy, I should post a pic up sometimes)

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=33

Also read this about the INFs it has some usefull info.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8128

I think the problem with you is you are putting the INF from the 7777 driver in the folder of some other older nvidia driver, and all kinds of funky stuff is happening, which would explain why your laptop won't boot after install.

You should probably uninstall your drivers before you attempt a re-install of the 7777 driver.

About the files, you know the exe is a compressed archive file of the driver, and the moddified INF tells the driver how to install on your card (cause the standard NV INF doesn't), the NFO file is something the other mods came up with, can check it out in wordpad or MS word probably, to see what it contains. (it is useless to you, has information about the driver)

While the 7777 driver is probably ok for you, there are some newer drivers available, I am on the 82.10 drivers right now, there pretty good, once you get the hang of properly installing the drivers, you can enter into the relm of the darkside of driver testing :) and test newer drivers till you find a good one for your card. (I would offer suggestions, but don't know much about the other 8x drivers, except the 2 I have tested worked, though on much older gf cards than yours)

Edited by Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply. I updated my driver successfully. Unfortunately, I'm still getting that blue screen of death when CS loads. Namely the nv4_disp.dll error. I'm surprised other people with the Sony s series notebook with the Nvidia 6400 card have not posted about this issue. I had this problem on three different Sony S570 notebooks and now this S580.

Thanks again for the clarifications.

Do you run CS in OpenGL?

Your the second person I have seen with the error. (other has different graphics card)

Please provide me with some more details of it.

CS just might have some bugs in it.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure what I am running CS in.. I cannot even get it to load. I just installed it and tried to run it and got the blue screen. Is there a way I can find out what I am running CS in?

Before the game loaded, all the updates and additional files were downloaded. I then tried to load it to play. First, I see the splash picture and at the bottom right it says "loading...". Then, it just gives me a blue screen with the nv4_disp.dll error. The error is very consistent, just as it was on all the Sony S570s I had before. There was only one time when I got counterstrike to load and that was with one of the S570s. I updated the ram from 512 to 1gb+512mb and then tried to load cs. It went through and I got to the "find servers" page. I then closed it and tried again and every time after that consistently got the blue screen. It seems pretty specific to the video card as far as I can tell. I did a lot of reading on the nv4_disp.dll error and it seems like a common problem with Nvidia cards, but no real solutions. They mentioned issues with memory timings and such.

Notebook specs:

2Ghz Pentium M

2gb ram

Nvidia 6400 with turbocache

80gb hard drive

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mates

I've got the VGN-S5 HP/B with the 6400go/TC. Starting CS:S turns me into the same trouble as Slidahz. I tryed the 77.77 version and the newest 82.10, but they didn't fix the problem. So I'm out of ideas,,, PLEASE H E L P!-)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Greetings from Cologne (Germany)

Johannes

1vision@web.de

Hi Again!-)

I already tryed two bios updates, but none of them solved this prob. So this prob. has nothig to do with the bios but with the driver as mentioned above... I already tryed other drivers than the 77.77 and the 82.10 but no luck until now!-( But I don't give up so stay tuned ...

Greetz

Johannes

I have just bought a Sony laptop from PCWorld, same NVidia 6400 and CS-Source does exactly the same for me too, bsod a split second after the splash screen appears. It has shipped with v7.7.4.3 driver.

SOLUTION!!!

Found this at http://www.forumplanet.com/counterstrike/t...452&tid=1766149

Well...i got it running!

you just can´t start in in fullscreen mode...so go into steam...then change the launch properties from counter strike source to -console -window and it will start in window mode...let it load and when you´re into the game you can change to fullscreen and it will work! a little circumstantially but it works.

yup it works!

Thank you simon!

Here are some more detailed directions:

-Go to Programs > Valve > Steam > Steam

-You should see three tabs: Store, My Games, and Tools. Click on My Games.

-Right-click on "Counter-Strike: Source" and choose "Properties"

-Click "Set Launch Options"

-In the line provided type "-console -window" without quotes.

-Now launch CS and you are good to go!

By the way, to make the console go away just hit the tilda key (~).

Man, why didn't I think of that!

SOLUTION!!!

Found this at http://www.forumplanet.com/counterstrike/t...452&tid=1766149

Well...i got it running!

you just can´t start in in fullscreen mode...so go into steam...then change the launch properties from counter strike source to -console -window and it will start in window mode...let it load and when you´re into the game you can change to fullscreen and it will work! a little circumstantially but it works.

Hi All, after all I've found another way to go. Here it is:

You have to delete all files from "Windows>Drivers>Video" that begin with "nv". Then you got to delete the "nv4_disp.dll" from your "sytem32". then you go into your hardwaremanager and uninstall the graphics card. Then your install the following driver: "XTreme-G MobileForce Drivers" found at: http://www.hwupgrade.it/news/software/15871.html or at http://downloads.guru3d.com.

But it i important that you first delete all the old crap of drivers that were on your system before, and then perform the new driver installation. The installation you shuold perform how it is well described by BILL from laptopvideo2go.com in the replies above!

Then finally you should have done it! (with a little more work than slidahz describerd!-)

Greetz

JoH

1vision@web.de

• 5 weeks later...
Guest rjmawsonjr

Hi all. I am having the exact same issue, but with different games. Serious Sam 2, Far Cry and Dawn of War all give me the same BSOD stop error that the other sony users are getting. I was starting to think I had a bad vid card in this thing, but after reading that this is happening on other people's notebooks too, I feel a little better. I am going to try the Xtreme MobileForce drivers and see if this fixes it. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion, and I'll be sure to post back to let everyone know if it worked...

Sony VGN-FS760/W

Geforce Go 6400 128MB

1.5GB DDR2

1.86 GHz Pentium M

Windows XP

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rjmawsonjr

No go. Still same issues with direct3d games. Stop error is 0x000000ea, and the message in the microsoft kb that talks about this error reads:

CAUSE

This issue may occur if the display driver is caught in an infinite loop while it waits for the video hardware to become idle. This issue typically indicates a problem with the video hardware or that the display driver cannot program the hardware correctly.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, obtain and install the most current driver for your video adapter, or replace your video card.

I have tried many revisions of the nvidia driver, but still consistently get this problem, every time I play a game using direct3d. It is of note to mention that opengl games seem to work just fine. quake 3 and 4 run perfectly, doom 3 and return to castle wolfenstein have never given me an error.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? Sony support told me that they can't support video drivers, so they won't do anything at all!

Please Help!!!!!!!

Sony VGN-FS760/W

Geforce Go 6400 128MB

1.5GB DDR2

1.86 GHz Pentium M

Windows XP

• 3 weeks later...
Guest matitaccia

Hi,

I'm having the same problem too since I have upgraded my Ram from 512mb up to 1.5 gb. I have 1 slot with 512mb and on the second one (which I can see cause I think the first one is on the mobo itself somewhere) I have got 1gb.

With 1.5 gb RAM Windows works good and under the graphics properties I see that the video card gets 256mb instead of the 128 mb it had at the beginning.

When playing games (or direct3d applications) the system crashes quite abruptly (blue screen, memory addresses and so on).

If I stick with the original configuration, so with 512mb only, I can play (tried with Call of duty 2 and Age of empires III) without problems.

Using modded Nvidia drivers doesn't help.

I thought I could support at least emotionally the other sony and turbocache users.

bye.

matitaccia

Notebook using:

Sony VGN-S5HP

1.73 ghz

80 gb HDD

512mb - 1.5 gb RAM

Guest matitaccia

Hello all!

I have discovered that the game (Call of duty 2) works using 1.5 gb ram when I change the power profiles. If I use a profile which has a low performance (let's say Maximum Battery) I can play without having problems (well the game isn't as smooth as with a "performance" profile).

It is possible that using performance profiles the graphic card gets a bit of overclock and than crashes. By the way, I managed to crash also using windows only and also that time I was using a performance profile (I was connected to the AC).

I would like to try with some modded drivers again and see if I can fix the frequencies so that the GPU doesn't get any OC at all.

But I have also other thoughts... If it was really a bit overclocked when it gets on performance profiles, then PC should hang also when using 512 mb only. But this dosn't happen.

Hope that this works for someone else too (please leave a message) and that someone gets better results then mines.

Thx.

matitaccia

Hello you all!

Having some fun with the sony support. Would like to join? Read ahead.

Pc Freezes playing videogames - are new drivers coming? Created: 24-Jan-2006

*** NOTES 24-Jan-2006 Action Type: Info

1. Installed service pack: WindowsXP Pro SP2

Still using service pack: yes

2. Boot language: English

3. Detailed problem description:

Hello,

I and other users are having troubles gaming on sony notebooks based on GeForce 6400 graphic cards.

Link:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=8049

I have bought a VGN - S5HP and I can play if I don't use any extra RAM module beside the one which I got when I bought the notebook. In other words: the original configuration has 512mb, the geforce has 128 mb and the games are working. As soon I add a 1 gb ram module, the system gets 1.5gb of RAM where the geforce gets 256 mb and games aren't working anymore. But windows is correctly working.

I have already tried to use other drivers but I doens't help.

Is sony going to publish new drivers which are solving this issue? When?

Thanks a lot.

4. Checked for upgrades or patches: yes

5. Additional SW: Well I don't think this may have importance with the issue that I'm currently having:

1. Adobe reader 7.0
  2. Age of empires III demo
  3. AVG free edition
  4. Call of duty 2 demo
  5. Etc.

6. Additional HW: It's a notebook so the serial number should suffice to give you enough informations about it's hardware configuration. Anyhow it's a VGN-S5HP.

7. Extra memory added: yes

8. Additional remarks: ALready written above.

*** NOTES 31-Jan-2006 Action Type: Info

I have discovered that the game works using 1.5 gb ram when I change the power options. If I use a profile which has a low performance (let's say Maximum Battery) I can play without having problems (well the game isn't as smooth as with a performance profile). I should test for a longer time, but normally if there was a problem, the PC would have crashed quite quickly. It is possible that using performance profiles the graphic card gets a bit of overclock and than crashes. By the way, I managed to crash also using windows only and also that time I was using a performance profile (I was connected to the AC).

*** NOTES 01-Feb-2006 Action Type: Info

Thank you for contacting us. Please apply the bios update from our web site, Go to www.vaio-link.com click on Drivers and Updates, then Updates and Patches and then select your model from the list. The download and installation instructions will be listed. The Bios Update is a firmware update for the CMOS chip and will resolve any noise or power/charging problems this is also a patch for problems with video.

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/info/in...l=Downloads/PH/ B/SYS/PHBSYS-00877820-UN.exe&ip=PHBSYS-00877820-UN.htm

There is also a firmware update for your optical drive, which improves dvd reading and writing.

Please note that we cannot commit ourselves to offer support for third party software which was not preinstalled on your VAIO. We can only advise you to check the system requirements of the software you are using and check whether they match your VAIO's specifications. Furthermore we advise you to check with the manufacturer whether any updates are available which could solve known problems. For further support with this issue, we can only advise you to contact the manufacturer of the software.

*** NOTES 01-Feb-2006 Action Type: Info

Thanks for the answer.

I think I had already checked the checkbox about updating the bios and drivers (how it is requested in the formular which you have to compile when you submit a case).

Bios version I'm using:

R0103V0

The bios version which is proposed on this page:

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/select/...asp?l=en&m=2037

is exactly the same as mine. So I think I'm already up to date, with the bios. And no, it doesn't fix my problem.

And about the link that you sent me: thanks, but it's not for my notebook. Or how would you install the update when the sony bios updating utility says: "This BIOS update isn't supported on this computer"?

Now tell me: is Sony considerating to fix this problem in a serious way?

And no, it's not only my configuration which has this problem, there are also other users which have the same problem as mine.

Thanks in advance.

If sony is going to be that way you should sell that and get something else, we can't fix BIOSes Sony is supposed to fix.