LaptopVideo2Go Forums

quake 4 problem UPDATE: SOLVED

Guest brian-c

Guest brian-c

:) hi,i was wondering if some1 can help me.i have problems starting quake 4.when i start up i get a black screen for a few secs then just returns to desktop.was wondering what drivers ppl use for quake 4.

ive tried 77.72 , 81.84 with no luck.my laptop had no troubles running bf2,doom3 on high gfx,so i just hope its a simple driver issue.any help would be apprecieated.

specs: gf go 6600

1024 ddr

intel 1.7 centrino

laptop=gericom

Update: Solution here. (You could also just scroll down 4 posts.)

Edited by Bill

It sounds to me like this game does indeed have many bugs, your card definetly supports the game, heck, even my card should run the game just fine.

I should also mention that you are not the only user that has reported problems with this game. This is giving me nightmares of BF2 all over again, I hope these guys can get it fixed. (unlike EA)

As soon as they release a Demo for this I might get to try it, otherwise I can not be of much help.

I just checked recently, and there is either no update for the game yet, or it got released in the middle of the night and I have not seen it yet, but stay tuned for the update.

As you should know Doom3 could update it from withen the game, but then this game doesn't run for you does it? :)

All I can say right now is to try some more drivers, maybe even the 77.77 drivers (in sig), and contact the tech support for Quake 4 and complain, your computer should definetly be compatible, especially since it runs Doom3 and other games just fine.

You could also try some 78 or other 81 drivers, or that new 82 driver.

Edited by Bill

Guest brian-c

hello again.ok ive been trying lots of different drivers for hours now with still no success.activision sent me a rather useless reply stating

"we do not test our games on laptops so we cant guarentee functionality"

"try downloading latest drivers"

"try using an external monitor"

"plug your laptop in when playing,dont play with battery"

great help eh.....i refuse to believe my system is incapable of eevn loading this game considering the performance with bf2,doom3,F.E.A.R etc.i am using an exteral lcd tv but i dont see that as any problem.so before i take the disk back as a last resort im gonna try absoloutley everything possible.can some1 tell me what is the best driver cleaner for laptops.i tried detonator destroyer but it says it cant operate on my platform.i use windows xp home sp2.i am convinced my problem is driver related.thnx in advance.thing is ive been looking forward to this game more than any i can remember as ive always played the quake games.just my luck eh :)

and btw been reading lots of stuff in this site,and its very impressive.u guys are a great help to ppl.

Guest Brian-c

ok after many hours of problem solving,i have found the soloution.

for any1 with similar problems here it is>>>

right click on shortcut icon and then properties.in target box it should end "quake4.exe".now type "+set logfile 2" and hit ok.

now try and run again and it will fail just the same.now locate ur baseq4 folder and the should be a text file containing ur error logs.

my error was> ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT : failed

this line is a SOUNDCARD error.something 2 do with EAX cards.

just go to Openal.com and download the driver, you should now be good 2 go.

Edited by Bill

Now that is what I call a good post. :) :) :P

Time to change the topic title it seems. :(

ok after many hours of problem solving,i have found the soloution.

for any1 with similar problems here it is>>>

right click on shortcut icon and then properties.in target box it should end "quake4.exe".now type "+set logfile 2" and hit ok.

now try and run again and it will fail just the same.now locate ur baseq4 folder and the should be a text file containing ur error logs.

my error was> ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT : failed

this line is a SOUNDCARD error.something 2 do with EAX cards.

just go to Openal.com and download the driver, you should now be good 2 go.

i have the same gericom laptop as you and didnt have any probs with q4, how you finding your laptop? im quite happy with mine, done any benchmarks on it? if so what results did you get?

Guest Brian-c

hi there :) yes im very happy with my laptop.runs all the latest games nps.its thin light,looks pretty stylish and so far after owning it 8 months ive had no overheating problems whatsoever.aint really bothered about benchmarking it as im happy with the performace in games.if i have any probs with gfx and fps then ill start benchmarking.as for the q4 problem i had.i have an external audigy nx2 sound card hooked up 2 mine.as i said it was some kinda EAX sound related issue.