LaptopVideo2Go Forums

61.11 problems?

oVan

Here's a copy/paste of my results (appar. I've put my reply in the gaming subgroup)

After having several problems with 60.72, I initially reverted to 5x.xx series, but the standby & backlit problems were back. So I've installed these 61.11 today, hoping for better luck.

My conclusions so far:

* After editing the setup.ini to only allow English language, I see that the Control Panel dialogs are Dutch again (note: other driver versions have this prob too).

* Pressing the Sleep button makes the notebook go into standby mode, but resuming from it is not possible: black screen, although xp seems to be running partially. It's hanging somewhere.

* Undocking from D/View station with the XP Undock command works perfectly.

* When undocked, the WiFi connection only works after several minutes waiting. With 60.72 it was impossible to get any WiFi connection. I know, these shouldn't be related, but it really is. All other drivers I've tested work perfectly with WiFi, and all 60-series seem to give some connection probs. Anyone?

* I've noticed again that my cooling fans are continuously working, which only happens with 60-series drivers. Although 60.72 eventually made the notebook crash because of overheating, so far 61.11 keeps running. This might still happen, as 60.72 also ran for several hours, then started crashing.

My 4200go is clocked at 196/390, which is Dell default; why are my fans continuously on? Something makes the system generating a lot of heat... Removing the drivers and installing 5x.xx or 4x.xx solves this

That's it so far. As long as I don't see any (heat-related) crash I'll keep running this one I think.

oVan

After editing the setup.ini to only allow English language, I see that the Control Panel dialogs are Dutch again (note: other driver versions have this prob too).

you need to delete the "localized sections" in the inf.....

THANKS for the summary :)

Guest Korpowski

I have a other problem with the 61.11:

I have several problems with windows. So for example with notepad: no borders, alt-f4 don't work.

Some windows are there, but not really: some parts are visible and the program is running. but sometimes I don't see the window and the content anymore...

60.80 worked very fine for me.

Guest Angel

Yep... that's the same problem I'm having. Aside from the notepad issue, there's the setup programs for several applications. It just wont load.

So I went back to installing 60.80.

I see 61.12 from the developer site from nvidia. I believe all it adds is support for the NV40. That's all it states.

Well, after using Pieter's modified inf (with temperature fix and standby fix) I must say I'm enjoying this 61.11 driver. Smooth.

The following is still strange, but not a major problem:

* After standby, or after undocking/docking, the video is _super_ slow. Opening the nVidia control panel and closing it again fixes this problem. Clock?

* Temperature is still higher than with 40-series driver. In the end, I can live with that.

* Still having WiFi probs undocked, this problem only appeared with 60-series driver. I know it's strange, but it is a fact :)

Has anyone this last problem, or a clue where I might start looking for a solution?

oVan

Still having WiFi probs undocked,
What kind of problems?

When undocked, WiFi connection is taking +10 minutes to establish, or sometimes not at all. There's a very low signal strength.

With the older drivers (40 & 50 series) this problem did not exist.

:o

Would it be possible to get an idea of your WiFi details? Is it a PC card or interal? Probably a card since you have A/B/G+. Who is the maker of it? Driver version, etc.

I'm running a cheap B card to a Linksys WRT54G with fine results. Connection is "Very Good" though I am fairly close to the router.

Sure, it's a Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN mini-PCI card, based on Broadcomm chipset. I'm sitting at 1m from the router and still have these probs...

Other problem that I've had with the 60.60 has now reappeared with 61.11: overheating makes the notebook crash. This happens with the i8kfancontrol applet set to max fan speed on both fans, and temperature going really low (like: 37°C for cpu and 50°C for gpu) and it still crashes?!?

I'll have a try with 61.12 but if that's not any better I'll have to go down again...

Tnx!

oVan