LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Temporary lag

Guest PacManiac

Guest PacManiac

Hello all, I'm having some problems with my laptop.. I get a temporary lag for a second every 10 seconds or so. During this lag the frame rate in games goes down to 5-10fps and then goes back up straight away. When playing games it feels like it's loading but the problem appears when watching dvd's or avi's as well. It's really quite annoying and was wondering if anyone has come across something similar?

First I thought it was lack of memory as I'd only noticed it when playing BF2, but now with my 2 Gb RAM (tried various types of RAM as well) it's still there. I've tried a few different Forceware drivers for my Go 6800 Ultra, at the moment I'm running on 81.84 but the problem still exists.

I'm not sure what things could affect this as I'm no techie so not quite sure what info to provide you guys. Apart from the above I'm using Win XP, got a 160Gb raid 0 hd (would hardly matter?), sound card being some standard card but I've got a SB Audigy 2 as well, and the problem is there using either of the two sound cards.

Would really appreciate any help at all..

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

That could be because of the emense use of swap-file that BF2 need´s. Arround 1,4 GB. The way to work arround is to set it fix on one fix size.(ex. 2048) Why to do so? Windows is allway recallculating and reorganising ur swap file. That gives u the laggs. Set the start and end size to a fix number and this should improve ur gaming performance. On systems with fast HD it might be different and u will never have the same problem.

Try it ! It helped me a lot with BF2 !

Oh don´t be suprised this will cost u time on boot because windows has to creat the swap file.

Good luck

Edited by Greeny

The way to work arround is to set it fix on one fix size.(ex. 2048) Why to do so? Windows is allway recallculating and reorganising ur swap file. That gives u the laggs. Set the start and end size to a fix number and this should improve ur gaming performance.
Thats a copy & paste from pseudo tweaking websites spreading urban legends and definitely wrong for 2K, XP and higher OS as can be read on MSDN if digging deep enough.

pagefile.sys is always present in one size... and will only rise/adjusted by XP if system RAM is out and it needs to be swapped to HD, which is the worst case performance-wise as HD is slow.

This guy's Laptop suffers from heat... as he bought a laptop with a desktop CPU in it.

Guest Pseudo tweaker

Did u ever watch the swap file growing while you play Games. I did. Bf2 Needs up to 1,4 gb. Css while playing 400 mb. You can try it yourself by using the taskmanger as monitor while playing. In my case it helped fixing it to 2048mb.

Thats how much of it is actualy being used.

Keep in mind that in my head... crappy programmed driver = driver from Creative... and crappy programmed game = Battlefield serie. :)

Guest mew905
one word: HEAT

laptops hate heat... their fans arent exactly the best. try blowing a fan or air conditioner (not too close for the AC, they DO condense, mine even spits out ice after about 10 mins.. dont worry if it's central air though)

onto the heatsink on the laptop, most are usually in the back (they're metal fins)

my laptop does it alot... stupid I5150's...