LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Upgrading grahpics card on laptop

Guest MoMa

I get alot of lag during gameplay of games such as Counter strike source.

1) I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade my Geforce 5200 card and can you get a card that could go into the PCI slot? i have a Dell inspiron 5150

2)My card is a 32mb. i can play the games but as i said I get lag. Could it be that my connection upload speed is 128k?

your advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

MoMa

If you have the 32MB card then run, don't walk, to your phone and order the 64MB version! My benchmarks and game performance jumped approx. 80% when I did the same upgrade!

It doesn't go into the mini-PCI slot - you have to replace the existing card inside the machine, but it's not hard to do. I can post the instructions here if you need them.

Dell Spare Parts USA - 1-800-449-3355 ext 69937

Outside of the United States - Contact Dell in your global area.

GeForce FX Go5200 64mb video board part number - M1325

Hi L, thanks for that.

I'll give it a try and let you know. BTW, would my upload time of 128k still give me alot of lag?

Also, I'm a complete noober when it would come to installing a grahpics card especially in a laptop, is it really that simple or would you require some technical 'know how'?

Regards,

MoMa

You can see the actual steps on the followng page:

Dell Inspiron 5150 Service Manual

You need to remove the Keyboard first, then follow the steps on the Video Card page. It's not difficult, but if you're uncomfortable taking your 5150 apart (which I completely understand), a local technician should be able to do it fairly inexpensively.

And yes, a slow link can cause some lag, but the 32MB card probably is the bigger bottleneck.

As usual L, you are a fountain of good knowledge! It actually looks pretty easy to change the graphics card, so when I get it I might give it a lash myself!

I'm not in the US but Ireland, do you think the cards here would be any different?

Also, should I not go for a128 card if I am upgrading?

Finally, Will the system recognise the card or will there be software with it?

Thanks amill so far, Its great to know someone who's as helpful as you!

Regards,,

MoMa

The machines are identical, so you should have no problem there.

Unfortunately, 32MB and 64MB are the only sizes available. In the early days of the 5150, many of us pleaded with Dell for a 128MB version, but it never happened. Now that the 5150 is obsolete, I've given up hope.

There is no software involved. As soon as you plug in the new card, the system will recognize the extra RAM.

Hi again L,

well i've been trawling the Dell website in Irl, and there seems to be no card. I had a look on the americam website and again no joy. it's as if Dell are trying to steer you clear of upgrading and just buy a new comp - this wont happen for me unless I win the lotto! i also looked on Komplett.ie, who sell cards etc. but no joy either.

would you have any suggestions?

MoMa

You're right - they don't list the part as available for sale. But if you call Dell Spare Parts and ask for that part number, they should sell you one.

If they completely refuse, try ebay. I've seen them for sale there from time to time.

Hello again L,

It has taken the best part of my day trying to find the graphics card. i am very disillusioned.

Anyhow the guys at 'upgrade options' a sub-contractor of Dell offered me this card:

ATI Radeon m9 64mb, part number Y0Z08.

Do you have any knowledge of this card and is it as good/ different to the nvidia card you recommended?

would it work well or am I wasting my time with it?

They say the m1325 is not currently available. i saw it on ebay but it was $280 approx.

Your advice as always is appreciated.

Regards,

MoMa

Yikes! I only paid $85 (US) for mine two years ago. That ebay price is a ripoff.

The ATI card works fine, but won't work with the nvidia drivers we have here. I think the speed of that 64MB card is almost the same as the speed of the 64MB Go5200 card.