LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Black & White Video on external TV

LSudlow

Some people have reported video on external monitors and TVs only appears in black & white instead of color. If you run into this problem, there are two possible solutions:

The best option is to open the Video Overlay Settings page of the Nvidia Control Panel and enable VMR. (You also need to enable VMR in whatever video player you use.)

If that doesn't work, or if it gives you jerky video, open the same page in the Nvidia Control Panel, uncheck the VMR box, and move the Saturation slider from 0 to 100% (approximately the middle of the slider's range).

Thanks to several members who reported this fix!

:)

Is this mostly for Dell users with that horrible B&W problem that has been plagueing them for ages ?

We may have had one or two other brands with this problem over the years, but you're right -- it does seem most frequent on Dell machines.

82.10's seem to finally have fixed the black & white problems on the Quadro4 700 gogl's :)

I have not seen black in white since early 70s or 60s, that is on my GF40 go though.

When was the last time you had it on your quadro?

did other 8x have it?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DavidHammer

Hi!

I have the B&W problem on my ASUS L5D with Geforce FX5650 64mb.

Didnt have it with the original drivers but they are so old now so i haft to replace them...but any driver i tried from this site seems to give me B&W on the tv. Havnt tried any 80, but some ppl say 80 is only for 128mb users?

The first thing to check is the color saturation on the Overlay page. For some reason it gets set to 0 on some installations. If restoring it to 100% doesn't work, try enablng VMR.

• 2 weeks later...

This black and white problem is killing me, I've had my laptop for awhile and all I can get it black n white. My laptop is a toshiba p25-s509 with a geforce fx 5200 go 32 mb card..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some TV's have a faulty video input. My Philips TV in my livingroom shows picture in color while the philips in my bedroom shows in B&W. Go figure.

I use a dedicated S-Video input on the TV in the livingroom while I use a S-Video to SCART adapter on the TV in my bedroom. I have checked the adapter for errors and it seems like it should work as you got many types of video input lines on the SCART connector (composite and component video).

When I use just composite (using a S-Video to Composite adapter) on my laptop it shows in color even on the bedroom TV.

I thought TVs followed the standards, but not anymore.

:)

• 10 months later...

Hi you all,

Have an Dell Inspiron 8600 with GEFORCE FX5200GO and i´m trying to get rid of the black and white problem.

hookup: S-video out -> adapter to composite ->V-4 Video mixer - > preview screen.

done so far:

Lastest drivers

VBios flash latest version

Pal only selected.

video ouput format S-Video-Out selected

contrast to 100%

Still the black and white screen.

Funny thing:

When i select the composite-video-out option my screen goes to full color for 3 seconds and going to NO signal...

Thanx!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad that this thread exists.

I have an Acer 5652WLMI with a Go 7600 graphics card using 84.25 drivers and the modified .inf running on Windows XP SP2.

Whenever I try and output a signal via S-Video to a TV I also only get grayscale. I have tried altering the output between PAL and NTSC as well as lowering the resolution to 800x600 (and even 640x480) and tried the VMR and saturation suggestions. My earlier drivers (sorry, don't know version) exhibited the same problems.

From some of the posts, it seems that this problem is connected to driver versions with people gaining or losing the problem after upgrading to a later driver. When I treid to download the recommended driver version for Acer, I couldn't get the modified .inf file to go with it. I would try this version and post the results here if somene could point me in the direction of gting the modified acer .inf.

Cheers

Jason

• 7 months later...
Guest gerryfromktown

After about a year of monitoring this thread, and trying most of the suggestions, I have now finally got a 100% solution:

Yes, you have to have the nvidia settings correctly set. But the composite video out from the laptop adaptor provided with my Dell Inspiron 8600 DOES NOT PROVIDE COLOUR OUTPUT (no matter what the settings). The fix was trivial: I bought an S-video to RCA adaptor ($18 at The Source in Canada). Plugged it into the Dell S-Video output, chose Composite Video in the NVidia settings. Perfect colour output.

My guess is most of the laptop adaptors do not properly match impedances in the adaptor, whereas a properly built adaptor does. Don't know why Dell (and others) never admit this anywhere, but I cannot imagine they don't know their adaptors don't work.

Thanks for sharing. So it's again not driver, INF or generally software related but merely a hardware issues.

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot !! I'll buy a new adaptor this evening !

-edit-

hmmm didn't work... I did see colors flashing for 0.1 second, then back to b&w, so it most likely is a driver problem. Got NGO's 1.16369, but didn't see in their .inf the TV-out specific that are in lv2go's

So, right now i'm dling the latest 169.09 and 87.25

Edited by yyyeeeaaahhh

• 10 months later...
Guest Brento1138

I have this horrible black & white problem too. I've tried EVERYTHING. I have an Nvidia Go Geforce 7900GS. I've used at least 20 different drivers, and STILL NOTHING!!

I really don't know what to do, it is so frustrating. Hmmmm.

I went to the DELL website, entered in my product code, download every single driver it recommended. Still the same result. Played around with the settings in Nvidia for days, using every possible combination, changing from Svideo to component, screen resolutions, you name it... nothing works. Just black and white. So, I hate Nvidia and will never get their graphic card ever again! They've lost me as a customer... that's for sure!

Try a differeent S-Video cable, preferably as short and well-shielded as possible. S-Video is extremely voltage-sensitive and many laptops simply fall short providing the required output.