LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GetThermal (build 2004-07-15) - CLEVO D900T THERMAL UTILITY

alexandertyler

I've been searching all over the place for a reliable temperature reading on my overclocked GPU and overall system temperatures for my Clevo D900T. I had no temperature tab in my nvidia drivers.

Apparently this is a utility used only by the OEM and manufacturer for product testing.

The only time I use it is when I'm gaming and overclocked, otherwise I leave it alone. There is no documentation and apparently if they find it on your system it breaks your warranty . . . that may just be a rumor as I have nothing confirmed.

By the way, use at your own risk -- it's a common sense program but has no documentation. I can't be held responsible if you turn your fans off and fry your machine.

Hope you find it useful!

-- Alex

GetThermal_for_SAGER.CLEVO.KAPOK.zip

Cheers for that Alex, hopefully others will find it useful.

My modded INFs should have the temp page enabled.

I've been using the infs/drivers from this site and don't get a temperature tab. I know I had one of the first batches of Geforce 6800 Go cards so it may be that they disabled it in the BIOS. I know they did this with the 6600GT desktop board. The solution they have for the 6600 GT is to alter settings in the GPU BIOS. Im brave but not brave enough to tweak that -- it's where I draw the line.

However, if you have a suggestion other than that I would be more than happy to try. I mean I've tried all of the 8X.XX series drivers out from this site and have never had a temperature tab.

Keep up the great work!!!

Love this site!

-- Alex

• 8 months later...

I repacked the GetThermal tool as it included a 20MB log -of no use- and then attached it in your post so it's locally available here :)

Guest Guest
I've been searching all over the place for a reliable temperature reading on my overclocked GPU and overall system temperatures for my Clevo D900T. I had no temperature tab in my nvidia drivers.

Apparently this is a utility used only by the OEM and manufacturer for product testing.

The only time I use it is when I'm gaming and overclocked, otherwise I leave it alone. There is no documentation and apparently if they find it on your system it breaks your warranty . . . that may just be a rumor as I have nothing confirmed.

By the way, use at your own risk -- it's a common sense program but has no documentation. I can't be held responsible if you turn your fans off and fry your machine.

Hope you find it useful!

-- Alex

WOW! Your the first person I've seen yet who has my EXACT Laptop - to the TEE! Even the same 6800 Go VBios!, and the 560 CPU + 2GB DDR2 RAM!

I feel less alone now :)

Don't know about you, but I got this machine in Nov. 2004, when it was the newest, hottest thing out; PCIe had literally JUST been incorporated into "Desktop Replacements" like these based on the Clevo D900T case... but, wow, it is HOT and very HEAVY!!

I bought mine from Alienware, being a newbie at the time, and not knowing that companies like Sager and Clevo themselves were offering the same rig for cheaper; mt machine is the "Area-51m 7700. AW STILL sells the same machine, but with brand new, up-to-date components (newer procs, 7900GTX, etc.).

1 of the main reasons I purchased this machine from Alienware is because, in the days of AGP Grfx cards, they used to be known as 1 of the few notebook makers who offered upgradeable grfx cards for notebooks...

..Now, the big IRONY about all this = BECAUSE I got this rig from Alienware, it's just about the only machine of its kind whose grfx module I CANNOT upgrade!! Why? Because I happened to be one of the first customers to buy this machine when they announced it, and it contains a 1st gen Mobo (V5.2), which Alienware Support tells me is too OLD a mobo for upgrading to a 7-series Go chip, or even a 6800 go Ultra!

Meanwhile, thousands of other customers who bought the EXACT SAME rig AFTER me - and therefore happened to get versions with a later MOBO version installed - have been able to upgrade their grfx chips all the way up to the latest 7900 GTX go!!

What a waste of money!

So here I am, 2 years later, completely unable to upgrade my graphics, unable to play most current games without severely cutting down on the eye-candy settings so I can get up to 30 fps...and tech support will do absolutely NOTHING for me, even though I spend an extra 5 or $600 for special 4-year full warranty and support :)

So the only thing I've been doing is trying to squeeze as much power out of the notebook and the 1st generation 6800 Go card, by upping the ante - OC'ing the card with Coolbits or Pieter's Inf's; at 1 point I managed to OC the FSB and CPU using CLOCKGEN, but the current versions can no longer find my PLL, so when I launch the program, I just get a fixed readout without any moveable slider to OC the FSB...it's weird, 'cause it worked the FIRST time i DL'ed the latest version (it found my PLL and allowed me options to OC), but ever since then, it reset to original clock speeds and no longer offers me the options.

I've also tried GetThermal, but find it's not as necessary since the last AW BIOS, which allows me to place all fans on full power by pressing the Alt+F2 Hotkey...

Since you have the same machine, I was just wondering: Can you recommend ANY programs to me that I could use to OC some components? Like my CPU and Memory, etc.? I'm not an experienced OC'er, but apps like ClockGen are so easy to use to get more power out of this rig; do u know of anything else I could use?

I don't know if you have the same problem, but Alienware completely LOCKED down my Pheonix Bios to the most simple settings. I cannot improve the performance through ANY Bios settings, because they locked them all out!

Oh - and BTW, what did you set for your GetThermal Fan 'Trip' settings? That's one thing that always confused me about that program, and I'm curious what you set it for, as you have the same configuration as I do.

Thanks very much,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

As an FYI, I believe that sager will upgrade non-sager laptops based on the Clevo D900T chassis (which the alienware a51 7700 is). For older, non-Sager systems it's costly ($1000), since it requires replacing the mobo, but it's doable. I just had my Sager upgraded to a 7900gtx (including new mobo and power brick). I also threw another gig of RAM in and swapped the CPU out to bring the sytem to 3.6GHz/3GB/7900GTX.

It probably voids your warranty, but they do warranty the new components (Mobo and GPU) for a year.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the 91.33 drivers with modded base inf from this site. My OC slider is present without any problems. I would try using those and then look under the "Clock Frequency Settings." I can safely OC to 360/720 on FPS like F.E.A.R., HL2, and Oblivion. When I play a RTS I use the stock 250/600 because I get a computer shut down . . . gets too hot for some reason.

I also asked about the upgrade and yes, it costs way too much. I am waiting for DX10 to come out before I upgrade for that kind of money. I got my lappy in Dec '04 and feel your pain. Although I had to send mine back for a new MOBO, but I think they did an identical swap and did not upgrade me to the newer version . . . not sure.

Hope this helps.

Later,

Alex

• 1 month later...

This is an absolutely phenomenal post! thank you very much, i can now finally get readings for my MX Ixius (based on clevo d900t)....my laptop turns itself off if I dare run a game or anything that makes the cpu work beyond simply browsing and running windows...so this tool is invaluable and i hope it will help lead me to a solution!

thanks

• 2 years later...

Not sure if anyone still checks this thread but here goes anyway. Yes I'm still using an old prostar laptop with the clevo D900T board. Recently while gaming my laptop would overheat and shut down. I found this application and initially it worked great keeping the video card fan on. Now the video card fan only comes on occasionally. When I set this application to manual control the vga slider will not turn the fan on anymore. Any ideas why? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the exact same thing happening for the last few days! Maybe there's a secret hidden self-destruct date built in! Mines a D900T with a 7950gtx, been working fine for ages till now!

I'll post if i get things figured out and please do the same.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest D900T_Owner_aussie
WOW! Your the first person I've seen yet who has my EXACT Laptop - to the TEE! Even the same 6800 Go VBios!, and the 560 CPU + 2GB DDR2 RAM!

I feel less alone now :)

Don't know about you, but I got this machine in Nov. 2004, when it was the newest, hottest thing out; PCIe had literally JUST been incorporated into "Desktop Replacements" like these based on the Clevo D900T case... but, wow, it is HOT and very HEAVY!!

I bought mine from Alienware, being a newbie at the time, and not knowing that companies like Sager and Clevo themselves were offering the same rig for cheaper; mt machine is the "Area-51m 7700. AW STILL sells the same machine, but with brand new, up-to-date components (newer procs, 7900GTX, etc.).

1 of the main reasons I purchased this machine from Alienware is because, in the days of AGP Grfx cards, they used to be known as 1 of the few notebook makers who offered upgradeable grfx cards for notebooks...

..Now, the big IRONY about all this = BECAUSE I got this rig from Alienware, it's just about the only machine of its kind whose grfx module I CANNOT upgrade!! Why? Because I happened to be one of the first customers to buy this machine when they announced it, and it contains a 1st gen Mobo (V5.2), which Alienware Support tells me is too OLD a mobo for upgrading to a 7-series Go chip, or even a 6800 go Ultra!

Meanwhile, thousands of other customers who bought the EXACT SAME rig AFTER me - and therefore happened to get versions with a later MOBO version installed - have been able to upgrade their grfx chips all the way up to the latest 7900 GTX go!!

What a waste of money!

So here I am, 2 years later, completely unable to upgrade my graphics, unable to play most current games without severely cutting down on the eye-candy settings so I can get up to 30 fps...and tech support will do absolutely NOTHING for me, even though I spend an extra 5 or $600 for special 4-year full warranty and support :)

So the only thing I've been doing is trying to squeeze as much power out of the notebook and the 1st generation 6800 Go card, by upping the ante - OC'ing the card with Coolbits or Pieter's Inf's; at 1 point I managed to OC the FSB and CPU using CLOCKGEN, but the current versions can no longer find my PLL, so when I launch the program, I just get a fixed readout without any moveable slider to OC the FSB...it's weird, 'cause it worked the FIRST time i DL'ed the latest version (it found my PLL and allowed me options to OC), but ever since then, it reset to original clock speeds and no longer offers me the options.

I've also tried GetThermal, but find it's not as necessary since the last AW BIOS, which allows me to place all fans on full power by pressing the Alt+F2 Hotkey...

Since you have the same machine, I was just wondering: Can you recommend ANY programs to me that I could use to OC some components? Like my CPU and Memory, etc.? I'm not an experienced OC'er, but apps like ClockGen are so easy to use to get more power out of this rig; do u know of anything else I could use?

I don't know if you have the same problem, but Alienware completely LOCKED down my Pheonix Bios to the most simple settings. I cannot improve the performance through ANY Bios settings, because they locked them all out!

Oh - and BTW, what did you set for your GetThermal Fan 'Trip' settings? That's one thing that always confused me about that program, and I'm curious what you set it for, as you have the same configuration as I do.

Thanks very much,

Peter

hey peter i have D900T too!, badged as a Pioneer p4 3.2ghz dual core, 3.0gb 566mhz drr2 ram and twin 80gb hdd in raid 0. you say you have 4 year warranty? well i know how to get you an updated mobo through that scheme. i feel you'll never read this but alas i'll post it anyways...

this happened buy some fluke 2 me, i have 5yr warranty, bought in 4/6/2005 basically half my keyboard stopped working, now first thing i tried prior to sending it away was removing it - this very simple if you look very closely at the top edge of key board in the 'valley' b4 power button flat plastic you'll see little ridges about 4mm long i thinks theres three, you just get *small* flat blade screwdriver and pry/wedge keyboard out from ridges and keyboard lifts up...DON'T rip it up in a hurry! there's a flat ribbon cable in a flat 'snap in connector' anyways my flat connector was broken already, stuff knows how, but it would only half snap in when i went to put it back. alas k/b still no go after washing it in soapy water (perfectly safe k/b just a rubber membrane essentially) so i had to send it away..it was away for 5 days so i rang and tech guy said k/b connector broken, have to replace whole motherboard, waiting on stock...so its 2008 now and i have last model made mobo!!! sweet trick aye :P

now if only you could be traced down to share it with o_O

Guest D900T_Owner_aussie
I've had the exact same thing happening for the last few days! Maybe there's a secret hidden self-destruct date built in! Mines a D900T with a 7950gtx, been working fine for ages till now!

I'll post if i get things figured out and please do the same.

Good luck

mate very simple prob to sort out, all u have to do i clear the GFX heat sink if dust and make sure fan vent clear, you'll need a '00' Philips screwdriver and gfx card directly under your left palm. undo 4 screws that relate to gfx panel then i think theres 3 more to get fan off and then its a bunch of 5 to get heatsink shiny metal cover off, when this cover is off u can easily removed the gfx heatsink...it may pay to also get a small tube of thermal paste from dick smith/radio shack only like $3.50 or so and then with a clothe only just wipe off old gunky therm paste from both surfaces and then apply very very thin smear onto 1 of the 2 surfaces

co-incidentally i did this like only 3hrs ago to mine, before i did it my gfx fan was 'hunting' constantly and temp was 79oC, after I'd finish it returned to a much nicer 57oC

i personally have stripped my D900T to just a shell, its very easily constructed and logical to re-assemble. Hasn't voided my warranty either its been back 4 mobo replacement after the fact. key thing, use a QUALITY '00' sized Philips screwdriver or you'll risk stripping the small screws :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Millerduck

OK, so I just handed down this laptop from my Sister indicating "It just shuts off, I think the fan is broken"

I got it up and running and with GetThermal I can see that the Processor Temp sensor appears to be reporting the CPU at only 1C. GPU and motherboard temps appear to be reporting correctly. The CPU will occasionally jump up to 68 and report for a bit and then drops back to 1C again.

This tool has been great for re-setting the trip point for turning the fan on at anything above 0C but I am looking for any input on if the thermal sensor itself can be repaired/replaced.

Thanks!

MD

• 6 months later...
Guest Rommel

OK, so I just handed down this laptop from my Sister indicating "It just shuts off, I think the fan is broken"

I got it up and running and with GetThermal I can see that the Processor Temp sensor appears to be reporting the CPU at only 1C. GPU and motherboard temps appear to be reporting correctly. The CPU will occasionally jump up to 68 and report for a bit and then drops back to 1C again.

This tool has been great for re-setting the trip point for turning the fan on at anything above 0C but I am looking for any input on if the thermal sensor itself can be repaired/replaced.

Thanks!

MD

My Sager N98880 is doing the samething, did you get to know what is the problem and how to solve ot??

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Guest krustyegg

Thanks very much for the info and the get thermal utility, My D900T has had this strange randomly peroidic overheating due to the cooling fans not switching on for more than two years now.

And I was sort of disapearing of fixing it. But this utility shows that it is a complex problem. The thermal senors work fine but their read out is 1c indicating to me that it is some software conflict somewhere but where and what i dont know and why it only happens occansionly is a mystery

and I still dont know excataly what the first cause is/was but at least I can force the fans on now. And it wont just crash without warning. So thanks again for the helpful and brilliant post. :)

steve

• 7 years later...