LaptopVideo2Go Forums

help- unable to o/c a Qosmio G20

Guest tawa002

Guest tawa002

Hi To All,my first post here so here goes,i have a Toshiba G20 2.0ghz, Nvidia 6600go 128mb (bios 5.43.02.49.D1)default clock speeds are 373/648 New Zealand Model.the thing is No overclocking tool will allow me to tweak around with the mem and clock settings it seems that the Nvidia bios has locked out all the programmes from working ie coolbits,powerstrip,nvtweak,etc does anyone know a workaround or do i have to flash the bios (Scarry Stuff) and what bios would i use if i have too?? I dont own a floppy disk drive,any advise will be cool,,thanks

A fellow Kiwi, it's very lonely here, we are a rare species.

From Tawa or name is Tawa ?

Back on track, are you using a modded INF to install driver ?

The standard Tosh drivers don't enable OCing, you need the modded INF to enable all the goodies.

If you do use the modded INF then it maybe a case if locked OCing in the BIOS.

Havn't heard of others with this problem.

Guest tawa002

not to many of us in here by the sounds of things, yep a Tawa Local here.........i have had a few driver changes since owning this G20 laptopvideo2go as well.with one of the 77 series drivers scored 2700 points in 3dmark 05 not bad for a stock system. the only new tab that appeared in the nvidia panel was (read ahead max frames)or some thing like that but no over clocking tab,so as far as i can tell Toshiba has completly locked out any chance of overclocking this system...

The OCing page is also missing in some go6800's so your not alone.

This is a BIOS thing can't be changed without risky BIOS mods.

No real loss as I don't encourage OCing on laptops as it creates more heat, more fan noise more irritation.

Tawa, nice part of the country been through there a few times (never stopped though :) )

Guest tawa002

thanks for the advise, and yes ive heard that ocing laptops can be risky,the funny thing about this is i owned the dell i9300 with the 6800go all the power i needed but i sold it due to the screen,light leakage every where,nice system but i was one of the unlucky ones with a poxy screen on it.but i am more than happy with the 6600go just thought i might be able to steal abit more performance for free......BTW where in NZ are you mobilenvidia.

Yes Dell use very good screens or very mediocre screens on the same model.

I think NEC (Ultrasharp) make the best, Samsumg do OK but LG/Philips screens are no good all are used by Dell for the same model.

They should stick with one manufacturer that makes a good screen and is good for Public relations.

But I suppose that NEC can't make them fast enough to meet demand, and dell have to look at other suppliers for screens.

It does suck having forked out good $$ to be in a gamble what screen you get.

I live in Mt Cook, not the Mt Cook just down the road from you (Wellington) but Mount Cook as the highest mountain.

I'm a mountain man and am not one for cities, abit odd since I was born in Holland where the complete oposite is true :)