LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Black screen of doom on resolution/mode changes

Guest DusKer

Hi,

Been using these modded infs for a couple of years now, thanks for all your efforts =). I have a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT715M which has a 5600 Go. I tried a variety of drivers and never had any problems, finally settling on one of the 60 series. All was well.

Recently, however, I came back to this site to try some newer ones and have found that any driver later than the 50 series causes a problem for me. When the screen flicks through display modes (either when beginning a game, exiting a game, or even on startup if it's not disabled) there is a 75% chance that the computer will get stuck on a black screen and needs to be reset. I can find no logic as to what determines if it's going to happen. If the flicker on startup is enabled, it means i have to keep resetting until i get a lucky dice roll, in order to uninstall the driver again.

This line fixes the problem on startup, by simply removing the flicker, but since most directx apps do this flicker when starting up, it isn't any help further than booting reliably.

;if upon reboot after install you have a black screen remove the ';' from line below and reinstall driver.

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 1

What's bizarre is that last year, when i visited the site, I was able to try out all the drivers/infs without these problems. I've been careful to ensure that each driver was fully uninstalled before trying a new one, but I'm running out of ideas. So I'm stuck with 53.03 at the moment, anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

There are 100's of tweaks for OEM Laptops, I have picked out the most common ones to allow nearly all laptops to use the latest INFs

Some laptops need a special INF or even a driver to make certain things work.

I can only suggest you try these to see if it makes a difference:

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 0x00000096

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 0x1

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 150

HKR,, ModesetBlankDelay, %REG_DWORD%, 200