LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Geforce go6200 -> go6400 Mod Project

AJH

Geforce go6200 -> go6400 Mod Project

!Might hurt your Warrenty and damage your Hardware. I`m not responsibel for anything you do!

This Project is about modding a Geforce go6200 to 6400go. Since these Cards share the same GPU (NV44) I was asking my self if it wasent possible to run the 6200 as a 6400. The Difference between those Cards is mainly the Clockspeed. If you compare my sony (FS-115M 6200go) with the sucsessor (FS315M 6400go), you`ll see that mine runes at 300/600 and the later at 400/700 default clockspeed.

So what do you need to get your 6200 to act as fast as a 6400? Well thats quiete easy to answer: Just clock it as high as the 6400! by doing so i achieved just about the same Benchmarks scores as those 6400go users.

Now if you are into Style, you might whant your System to recognize the 6200go as a 6400go. This can be done by using Rivatuner. Under Low Level System Perferances->PCI Device ID settings. Set Graphics adapter identification to "custom", activate "Use Rom straps for PCI DeviceID programming", then set it to "0168 (unknown device)". Restart Windows and your 6200go will be recognized as a 6400go meaning you have to reinstall the graphic driver because WinXP thinks you have a new card installed.

Now for some Questions that might be asked!

Q: Is it Save?

No! It will most likely hurt your warrenty, and there is allways the risk that your Hardware gets damaged.

Q: Does the fact that my OS recognizes my 6200 as a 6400 give me an Performance advantage?

As far as i can tell there is no difference in Performance. The Performance gains are only achieved by the overclocking.

Q: I heard of a mod that can turn a 6200 into a 6600. Is this also possible with my 6200go?

Unfortunately that was only possible on some older desktop 6200 cards based on the NV43. The 6200go is based on the NV44, which can`t be modded.

Q: I can`t get my 6200 to clock as high as the 6400, is there a way to make it overclock better?

Not the "soft" way, but maybe by flashing your NV-Bios with a modded one. Unfortunatly there is non at the moment. I`m quite sure though that it can be done. The Thoughts behind this is, that the 6400 most likely uses an higher voltage to achieve better clocks from the same GPU-Core(NV44). A modded Bios could tell the GPU a ) that it is a 6400go b ) to use a higher default clock c ) use higher voltage. Thise might work but i`m not mutch into GPU-Bioses, therefore this is more of a guess.....

:) Greetz :)

• 5 months later...

Was just checking to see if anybody else had tried this with success? I am reluctant, but this post was about 6 months ago, maybe there was a follower out there?

Thanks!

I dont think people will want to flash their card's BIOS. it's very risky on full size computers, doing it on a laptop is much more... expensive... if you mess up that is. I love rivatuner's strap mods, unfortunately back in the day when I used them (I had the GeForce 4 MX440 at the time) I could only get it to run as a Quadro card.

Overclocking is easy as hell though (sorry if that word isnt allowed here), I just want to find a way to increase my voltage so I can clock higher.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot that thread! It got little (or better non at all) respons, so i assumed that this is not of interrest to anyone...

Personelly i had my 6200go recognized as a 6400go using rivatuner without a Problem. But as i told before its just a way to let the 6200go show up as a 6400go. As far as i can tell, the Performance boost only comes from overclocking.

The Bios flashing Thing was just an idea of mine and seriously not recommed to anyone. Even if u would be insane enough to try it, there is still no modded Bios for the 6200go that i know of!

:) Greetz :)

That's why i sticky it now :)

I need a bios editor that lets me increase my voltages so I can oc hardcore... :)