LaptopVideo2Go Forums

SEVERE PROBLEMS WITH GeForce Go 6400-HELP!

ap10046

Hi guys this is my 3rd post onsite..but no replies yet!

Please pardon my ignorance but I have met with a major problem while playing NFS2, Doom3, Far Cry and quite a few other games. I have just bought a Sony Vaio FS-760/w (for the lovely screen) with a GeForce Go 6400 128MB VRAM and 1.5GB of RAM, 1.9Ghz, Pentim M, 100GB HDD. Now I am using the driver version 6.14.0010.7743 (as mentioned in dxdiag and version 7.7.4.3 as mentioned in device manager). I can run all the games fine, but after a while, sometimes a minute sometimes 15 minutes, the games will freeze and i have to do the 4 second restart and sometimes "blue screen" or sometimes restart the laptop. I make sure there is adequate cooling for the bottom (albeit homemade!). This is very regular and not intermittent.

I cant seem to find any information regarding updating this driver. Windows Error Reporting keeps pushing me to the Nvidia site to download driver version 71.89, but then i cant install as the laptop says "cant find any drivers to update!!" I know the new ones are series 80 something..but it wont allow me to install those either

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me here as I have tried everything possible!

Thank you in advance and much obliged.

Ap10046

Download the 81.95 drivers from here.

Download the modded inf from here.

The driver will either be an installer package, or a 7-zip archive.

If it's a 7-zip archive, just unpack them to a folder on your desktop, replace the inf in that directory with the modded one you downloaded and run the setup.

If it's an installer package, extract to a folder on your desktop and let the installer run. It will give you the "Compatible hardware not found" and close. This is normal. You will still have the install directory on your desktop, so again replace the inf with the modded one and run the setup.

All should work fine from here.

Hi mattman,

thanks for the reply.

well, i tried it out and now the driver details do say version 81.95, but the problem still persists.

I start Far Cry and maybe 10 minutes later, or even less.. the system just freezes and needs a hard off to restart.

Doom 3 same thing, NFS2 also same.

I bought this laptop because of the 128MB VRAM and the lovely screen (why lie..it looks fabulous too!!)

I travel alot and sometimes the games are literally my saving grace from sheer boredom!!

I will try everything.. I even upgraded to 1.5GB thinking that less RAM was the problem.

Thanks for your help!

Sure its not overheating?

Try uninstalling the driver, then re-install it using Pieter's standard mod INF, then try underclocking it a little bit, then sit a nice big fan next to it. (then run the games)

You also might want to try a different driver, that one might not be as stable for some. (I haven't tried it)

If the 77.77 driver and link in my sig still work (checked, they do), and if that older driver supports your card (checked, last in INF), then that should run stable.

Any gf card BIOS updates for that card? Or is their an updated system BIOS?

81.95 is stable here... no issues.

It really does sound like a heat issue, with the GPU specifically.

Grab a copy of rivatuner an underclock the card, as Bill suggested above.

Hi guys, thanks for the posts.

Well, i uninstalled 81.95 and put on 77.77. Same problem!!

I took a table fan, turned in on its back, put an open bottom table on it with the Vaio on it so cooling would definitely not be a problem (I had to wear a cap!!LOL!).

Started Doom3, hung at the Load screen, restarted and then it hung after I bazookaed a creepy fireball throwing thing. Restarted it with Far Cry, jumped into the boat and it hung. restarted Far Cry and it played for 2 levels no problem and then far Cry just disappeared from the screen. Reinstalled Far Cry!

What do i do, short of chucking the Vaio away!!

Thanks again

• 1 year later...
Hi guys this is my 3rd post onsite..but no replies yet!

Please pardon my ignorance but I have met with a major problem while playing NFS2, Doom3, Far Cry and quite a few other games. I have just bought a Sony Vaio FS-760/w (for the lovely screen) with a GeForce Go 6400 128MB VRAM and 1.5GB of RAM, 1.9Ghz, Pentim M, 100GB HDD. Now I am using the driver version 6.14.0010.7743 (as mentioned in dxdiag and version 7.7.4.3 as mentioned in device manager). I can run all the games fine, but after a while, sometimes a minute sometimes 15 minutes, the games will freeze and i have to do the 4 second restart and sometimes "blue screen" or sometimes restart the laptop. I make sure there is adequate cooling for the bottom (albeit homemade!). This is very regular and not intermittent.

I cant seem to find any information regarding updating this driver. Windows Error Reporting keeps pushing me to the Nvidia site to download driver version 71.89, but then i cant install as the laptop says "cant find any drivers to update!!" I know the new ones are series 80 something..but it wont allow me to install those either

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me here as I have tried everything possible!

Thank you in advance and much obliged.

Ap10046

I'm having the same problems, how did you fix it mate?

Cheers,

Rick (metroidhunter13@yahoo.com)