LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v81.98 XP 32bit | NV

mobilenvidia

Original driver? The only driver Windows will let me use is vga.sys, I haven't been able to find any compatible ones. Is the PCI-ID machine specific or is it specific to a certain grafics card?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Bill

• mattman

• christian

Ok, I managed to find a 78.10 driver on the Alienware website that's supposed to be compatible with my system, however, I get the same error. I put your inf for that version on, but still no go. It appears that while there is 2 entries near the bottom for both infs:

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0144.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 "

and

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0148.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 "

either of which should match my hardware, there are no entries for these up at the top:

%NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0142.1% = nv4_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0142

%NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0143.1% = nv4_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0143

%NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0145.1% = nv4_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0145

%NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0147.1% = nv4_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0147

%NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_014A.1% = nv4_WSApps_NV3x_DualView, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_014A

By looking at Captain Picard's logfile there, I gather that my PCI-ID is 144.

There are 2 go6600's

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0144.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 "

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0146.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 TE/6600 TE "

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0148.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 "

NVIDIA_NV43.DEV_0149.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6600 GT "

NVIDIA_NV44.DEV_0164.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 "

NVIDIA_NV44.DEV_0166.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6250 "

NVIDIA_NV44.DEV_0167.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 "

NVIDIA_NV44.DEV_0168.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6400 "

The above are supported in my INFs, I remove the device specific parts so any GPU will work as long as it matches the PCI-ID.

What are your exact specs for your machine ?

Do you even have a nVidia GPU in your machine ?

Did your machine arrive with XP preinstalled, did this work.

Even if you didn't have an OS instaled the machine comes with a drivers disk, it should be on here.

Please give as much details as pos, hopefully a packing slip or invoice with all the specifics will say exactly what is in your machine.

We'll get to the bottom of this yet.

Just realized that the drivers it's been wanting all this time are the Intel GMA 900 drivers...

Also noticed the support for those models myself as I went over the inf again.

Yes I do have a Nvidia card in this machine, here are some specs from the invoice:

Alienware Area-51m 5500

Intel Pentium M 740

Motherboard: Intel 915GM + ICH6 Chipset

Display: Alienware m5500 15.4 WXGA LCD

512 MB Dual-Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM memory

HDD: 60GB 7200 RPM ATA100

Video Card: 128 MB Nvidia Geforce Go MXM 6600

The machine arrived with XP Home installed, along with SP2 and all the updates and drivers. Everything worked perfectly. Within 3 hours, I got a Blue Screen of Death, and had to reformat. I installed XP Pro + SP2 after a reformat. The machine came with a XP Home rescue disk, but it didn't work. According to their site, sometimes the laptop comes with a driver disk, other times you have to get them off the website. This I did, but they gave me the same error as ever. My current suspicion is that Windows doesn't even know that the card is in the machine.

OK looking at that mess of a NERD file (what did you use to open it ?)

You device ID is 0167 for the go6200, this is supported in my modded INFs

I don't know why it won't install on your machine :)

The drivers work fine, it's just that I can't add any custom resolutions, such as the 1024x600 that came with the proprietary Sony drivers. The resolutions I'd like to add are 1024x640 and 1024x576.

:) I am dumb. I totally forgot about the power saving tool on Alienware laptops that allows you to switch between onboard and external gfx. I was right about Windows not knowing the card was in the machine though... Thanks for your time!

For the guy above me:

Look for the line that starts like this: HKR,, NV_Modes,

Then, within the quotes, add the two modes in the appropriate spots. If the game itself won't go, you may have to edit the game's data file.

:) I am dumb. I totally forgot about the power saving tool on Alienware laptops that allows you to switch between onboard and external gfx. I was right about Windows not knowing the card was in the machine though... Thanks for your time!

For the guy above me:

Look for the line that starts like this: HKR,, NV_Modes,

Then, within the quotes, add the two modes in the appropriate spots. If the game itself won't go, you may have to edit the game's data file.

I found the entry you were talking about, put in my custom resolutions, and gave the drivers another install. They show up on the list and work perfectly, thanks!

You guys need to register so I can keep track of who's who :)

Hi,

I have an FX Go 5700 128 mb, on an Acer Aspire and the drive seems to work fine, but at shutdown i always get a error alert about nsvc32.exe

trying to access a ilegal address on memory, does anyone have the same problem and how can I fix it, without rolling back to my last drives...

Thanks,

Alex

just a question, is the inf already updated to v31.22 ? as it says it still is v31.21!

for the nsvc32.exe problem, you should disable the nvidia service by going to start, click on run and type: services.msc

than search for NVidia Display Driver Service, and disable it (also stop it!)

This alert will than be fixed :)

that service hasn't got any sence as far as i know...

jeroen.

• 2 weeks later...

yo, whats up1

Dude I have a problem installing hte driver (81.98) downloaded from here. that is, the driver installs fine but as it asks to restart the computer, i say yes, then , after my laptop restarts, it restarts and restarts again and again!. i have a go5250 GPU installed on my laptop. please help dude! please!

Guest MarkyMark

Hi All,

Please help me out of my confusion, what is the difference between

- Modded INF

- Quality INF

and

- Performance INF

?

I have a Toshiba M40 laptop, 128mb Nvidia Geforce Go 6600

Current installed drivers: nv4_disp (6.14.10.7772 - nVIDIA Detonator 77.72)

I have downloaded the new drivers 81.98, but yet to install it. I Also wish someone can clarify the

three different inf's for me so i can have a peace of mind. Thankyou in advance.

The INFs are basically self explanatory, the modded INF is Pieter's regular mod INF, has support for all modern desktop and laptop nvidia cards and has all the tweaks and pages and stuff.

The performance INF is similar but should get you extra performance, the quality is the opposite, gets you better in-game quality.

I would reccomend the reg mod INF for you, only reason to get the others is if you play games and need lots of speed or perfect graphics, and your card is not exactly the fastest on the block, so you shouldn't need the quality as it will just run games slower, and the performance might cause visual bugs (but is good for benchmarking)

Some people have had problems with the performance INF and you can still set some of these options in the nvidia control panel with the standard INF.

You should try the reg modded INF with 81.98 and then if that works and you want extra quality or want extra performance for benchmarking and overclocking then try the performance INF.

If you really want to know the INF differences go open the reg and performance and quality up and compare yourself if you want, sometime I might make a compare guide with all/most of the settings explained.

I should warn you before you start asking stuff, I do not know everything about all of the tweaks Pieter uses in his INFs.

Hi,

I have an FX Go 5700 128 mb, on an Acer Aspire and the drive seems to work fine, but at shutdown i always get a error alert about nsvc32.exe

trying to access a ilegal address on memory, does anyone have the same problem and how can I fix it, without rolling back to my last drives...

Thanks,

Alex

I had the same problem on my Dell. I had to step back to 81.85 to not get that same error message.

I had the same problem on my Dell. I had to step back to 81.85 to not get that same error message.

Turn off nVidia display services like this:

'Start', 'Run' services.msc and go down to nVidia display services .

Stop this service and all your errors will be gone :)

These are the results I got from using 81.98 with the modded driver:

3dmark06: 3520

3dmark05: 6786

So hows this score? Good / Alright? :) Suppose Im gonna test with quality and performance tomorrow, Ill also see how the 81.95 works for me.

Thanks for all the work on modding infs btw :)

Noice scores :)

I found I got a little better on 81.98, so maybe just stick where you are until you next have a driver testing session :)

Noice scores :)

I found I got a little better on 81.98, so maybe just stick where you are until you next have a driver testing session :P

cheers :(

just ran 3dmark03, got these results:

I've looked at ronins results with the 81.95 drivers and his scores are better than mine.. Hopefully I'll get higher with quality and some help with the tweaking :)

are these suitable for the nVIDIA GeFORCE 7800 GO 256 MB Video card? I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 on order...

thanks,

Philip

//Edit: Spelling nvidia wrong scares me....

Edited by Bill

Should work just fine for that, or else just use the latest one Dell ships with it, it should be a very recent driver still.

Or you could try 82.12 or wait for a new driver from Dell. (might be a while/forever with them, although your laptop is new though)

are these suitable for the nVIDIA GeFORCE 7800 GO 256 MB Video card? I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 on order...

thanks,

Philip

//Edit: Spelling nvidia wrong scares me....

They work fine on my XPS M170 so they should work well for you as well.

No need to worry, these drivers rock :) My Dell inspiron 9300 used to crash after a few minutes of playing. it came preloaded with 82.12 (calling dell's tech support... waste of time). so i decided to give 81.98 a try, uninstalled the older, ran driver cleaner, loaded it up and man oh! man the thing fixed all my issues I've been playing Doom 3 for 2 hours without breaking a sweat :) I'll post some benchmarks asap.

Hope it helps