Driver Version: 81.98 (8.1.9.8)

Driver Date: 2005-12-10

Driver Size: 16.1 MB

Driver Released by: nVidia

MS WHQL Certificate: True

Setup Files Included: True

International Files : True

Comments

[uPDATE] I've uploaded the new version of this driver that nVidia re-released on 7th Feb 2006.

It has support for the 7800GS added and WHQL tested as well.

According to HP's changelog:

• Corrects issue that may occur when playing DVD movies in DualView Mode while in a Guest account.
  • Corrects truncation issues for Traditional Chinese NView pages.
  • Corrects issue where the NVIDIA property pages display in English when used on a Thai image.
  • Corrects issue where an application (winhlp32.exe) error message is displayed when trying to view popup help in the NVIDIA Display Properties for the Japanese or Korean languages.

Issues Resolved in Version 81.98

The following are changes made and issues resolved since driver version 81.95:

Single GPU Issues Resolved
  • Removed the Direct Access functionality from the driver user interface.
  • Low Viewperf 8.01 scores occur with Dual Core and dual processor systems.
  • Dual Core Processors: Corel Paint Shop Pro X does not work.
  • Rendering problems occur in Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
  • GeForce 7 Series: Ground textures in Flight Simulator 2004 do not render correctly when using "Ultra High" settings.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX 512: The system cannot resume from Standby.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX/GT: Running F.E.A.R. hangs the system on the Apple 30" Cinema display when Monitor Scaling is used.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX/GT, GeForce 6800/6600: Ground and water textures are corrupted when zooming out in Civilization 4.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX/GT, GeForce 6800: Shadows fail to render in Splinter Cell 1.
  • Dual GeForce 7800 GTX/GT: Everquest 2 launches to a black screen when antialiasing is set to 2xQ at 1920 x 1200 resolution.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX 512: Chronicles of Riddick does not run at resolutions higher than 800x600.
  • GeForce 7800, GeForce 6800: Corruption is seen in Flight Simulator 2004.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX, GeForce 6800, Quadro FX 4500: The system slows down with the Liquid Edition SD time line.
  • GeForce 6800: Wrong colors appear when playing QuickTime trailers using the non-native video resolution.
  • GeForce 6800 Ultra / GeForce FX 5950 Ultra: Battlefield 2 has corruption or crashes when a player switches from zoomed commander view to zoomed sniper view.
  • GeForce 6800: Shimmering or cropping of the full-screen video mirror occurs when covering the video window with another window.
  • GeForce 6150/6100, Windows XP Media Center Edition: The driver does not recognize display connection changes that occur during a system shutdown.
  • GeForce 6100/6150, Windows Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2: HD modes are listed as available when a TV is connected using S-Video.
  • GeForce 6150/6100, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005: The display remains inactive when resuming from Suspend mode.
  • GeForce FX 5200: Textures disappear in CrimeLife v105.
  • GeForce4 Ti 4200, Windows 98: Java applications crash when calling OpenGL.

SLI-Related Issues Resolved
  • GeForce 7800 GTX 512, SLI: In Battlefield 2 and other applications, screen corruption occurs with SLI AA enabled.
  • GeForce 7800 GTX, SLI: Everquest 2 launches to a black screen when antialiasing s set to 2xQ.
  • GeForce 6800, SLI: There is pausing in Colin McRae Rally 5 when SLI is enabled.
  • GeForce 6800, SLI: Corruption occurs on the golf course in Tiger Woods 2006 with 2x antialiasing enabled.
  • GeForce 6800, SLI: The desktop doesn't refresh after exiting Black and White 2.
  • GeForce 6800, SLI: Nothing appears below the SLI load balancing line in 3DMark05 when SLI AA is enabled.
  • GeForce 6600 VE, SLI: "Lack of video bridge" error message appears when enabling SLI without the SLI connector.
  • GeForce 6600, Windows XP, SLI: The system occasionally hangs when playing Everquest 2.
  • GeForce 6600, Windows XP, SLI: When the quality level is set to Extreme Quality, EverQuest 2 does not render correctly with 4x antialiasing enabled at 1600x1200.

Documents

Support

Benchmarks

• GeForce 2 Go: HERE from Pieter (v16.20 - v61.77)
  • GeForce FX Go5200: HERE from Larry (v5x.xx - current)
  • GeForce FX Go5700: HERE from Sky-Dexter (v65.73 - current)
  • GeForce FX Go5700: HERE from zipper (v53.51 - current)
  • GeForce Go 6200: HERE from AJH (v70.75 - current)
  • GeForce Go 6800: HERE from REAVER (v66.81 - current)
  • GeForce Go 6800: HERE from miki (v72.50 - current) @ AMILO 3438G
  • GeForce Go 7800 GTX: HERE from jamesd (v79.31 - current)

Notes

All nVIDIA drivers hosted at LaptopVideo2Go.com come as a maximum compressed self-extracting 7-ZIP archive for your convenience.

Reduce the size of your installation by using NVLiTE to rip out unnecessary languages and miscellaneous files without losing any driver features.

Make A Donation via PayPal if you find what we do useful and would like to help us pay for hosting these files into the future.

Please post any comments, suggestions, questions and other information related to this driver in this thread.

Additionally, use of the Forum's Search function and Frequently Asked Questions section is recommended.

If you still have a general problem that is not related with this driver, please post in the Support section.

Edited by ®®®

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Bill

• mattman

• christian

I'll make Quality and Performance INF later, I'm supposed to be at work as we speak :)

Same problem,

i get this errors:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll

C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll

can't find given module

I still get this problem if i reverse to any other driver. (getting this problem at installation of driver (+ older drivers) AND at bootup)

jeroen.

Will have a quick play before I leave for work if I have time. Otherwise will run the benchies tonight and post results as per usual..

As for those missing files, are you able to salvage them from other driver packages?

Edit: Just installed 81.98 from Pieters link above, no issues at all.

If you are having problems, I suggest you uninstall the drivers, just into safe mode and run drivercleaner. Then boot back into normal mode, cancel all the driver search things and re-download 81.98 from *here* and see how you go.

Same problem,

i get this errors:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll

C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll

can't find given module

I still get this problem if i reverse to any other driver. (getting this problem at installation of driver (+ older drivers) AND at bootup)

jeroen.

I get this same problem.

I wonder if its the modded INF.

It's 1.0kb less file size then the one that was used for the 81.95.

I too am getting the missing file problem, although the missing files are in my original installation dir, they just were no copied properly, also didnt add a uninstall option in my add/remove programs list this time. Guess there is a bad path or some in the modded.inf.

I had the same problem as above with the 2 files. I uninstalled the old drivers first. I copied the 2 files to \windows\system32\ and it appeared to work. But on reboot the drivers are installed but the Control Panel is not found and no uninstall. Never had this problem before so maybe the 81.85 left something behind. I will use the Drive Cleaner later after more people try to install these drivers.

:)

In my hurry to get to work, I forgot to add the directory part of the INF.

All fixed try new INF 31.10a with the above added.

Enjoy

Can't download Quality or Perf INFs.

Thx pieter,

will give them a try later :)

I just had used drivercleaner etc. when I read the post above :)

but thx!

jeroen.

Can't download Quality or Perf INFs.
As 2nd post, I havn't had a chance to make them yet.

I need go to work to pay those Bills :)

The Standard *.inf work great. Ran 3DMark05 and got just as good score as the 81.95.

whats the difference between the 32 and the 64 .inf file??

One is for the 32 bit version of windows and one is for the 64 bit version. The 32 bit version is the one that most people have and if you are asking this I bet you have this one too. :)

I had 81.94 installed. I just did a straight install (without uninstalling) over the top of 81.94. Downloaded everything from the links above and it worked fine.

Haven't had a chance to bench anything yet, sadly I have to work too :) Gotta pay off this beast of a lappy.

Bob, yes you can delete that folder after you have installed, all the needed files are installed to your system 32 folder and wherever else windows puts driver files.

Hum, Hehe good job. Well , I wanna play lineage 2 ( Yea it rox !!!) and still it says my driver is outdated just after i installed the 8198 Grrr wut's the deal ? :)

Are you sure the driver has installed ?

I think the old driver might still be there.

Uninstall old driver first

Use something Driver Cleaner to get rid off all the old files.

Then install new drivers.

I extracted 8198.exe to a folder '8198' on to my desktop. After I'm finished installing the driver, can I delete the folder '8198' that was created? Sorry for being so naive.

Sure can, just keep the DLed file if you need to install it again, or just DL it again from here.

My comp..

Dell Inspiron 9300

1.73GHz Pentium M

60GB 5.4kRPM HDD

2GB DDR2 (533MHz)

256MB GeForce Go 6800 (365/740)

8X DVD+/-RW

17" WXGA+ LCD

Logitech MX518

Plantronics GameCom Pro 1

Switched from the 82.10s because it was causing BF2 to crash and I thought it was the culprit of a nvsvc32.exe error message whenever I restarted my sytem. Something about bad memory.. or something. Always restarts faster than I can read.

I uninstalled 82.10 and installed these new drivers, scored about ~40points or so higher in 3dMark05 and have run BF2 for about an hour and a half with no crashes. I've noticed no difference in graphics in the game. No tears/compression problems/etc... everything seems to be doing great.

I still have that error message whenever I restart my system, anyone have any info on that?

You'll need to turn off nVidia bla bla services to stop those crashes.

The proper name escapes me.

Also Performance and Quality INFs are up too now.

It's something to do with the modded inf, it's been a problem for a while now.

to fix it (the service isn't used anyway) go to start -> run -> services.msc -> scroll down to the Nvidia display service (or whatever it's called) and change the startup type to "Disabled". It will crash when you shut down windows that time, but will not restart with windows on the next boot.