LaptopVideo2Go Forums

New 108mbps internal WiFi card for Dell I8200/M50/C840

Bill

I am looking at replacing the WiFi in my laptop with a 108mbps card (internal)

I have been looking at this card here.

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=126

Does anybody have any better suggestions?

I know the 802.11n stuff will be out next year, but I can still upgrade to that later if I want to.

(Belkin is advertising 800% range increase with their pre-N products :) )

Also, John, how did you put a second antenna in your laptop? (under keyboard?)

I might want to try that sometime, guess I need to find such an antenna... (need help with that too)

Also any suggestions on where to buy it? (especially if a different card is recomended)

Buying from Netgate is probably a good idea, and $50 is a good price to pay for that. :)

Also, if any of you other mods feel this should be in a different forum section, please feel free to move it.

My only comment on 108 mb is keep all your chipsets the same brand.. so if you are using Linksys/Netgear routers/AP's then go the Atheros as you have suggested (the AR5001X+ in my Tosh M2 is a fab chip), otherwise investigate what you have in your other wireless gear. 108mb wireless isn't an official standard, so there can be difficulties between chip vendors.

I just got a new D-Link Gaming router. (DGL-4300)

It should work fine with that, the only problem is my DS (2mbps) and my brothers IXPS Gen2 170, it only does 54mbps. (dell needs to sell real wireless cards).

Thing is my truemobile doesn't work with my DS, so I can't use it just for low speed devices, unless any of you know how to hack the firmware to make it run at 2mbps only (would make compatible with DS, I think. has no option in router)

I have this one with Atheros 5005GS chipset; http://www.giga-byte.com/Communication/Pro...s_GN-WIAG02.htm

Note that it is only b/g. So far I'm happy with it BUT when I enable SuperG mode even if there is no connection it freezes computer for a second sometimes. Not sure if that is hardware or software related.

Might be specific to that hardware, I had no such issues with the AR5001X+ (a/b/g/ turbo a/g)

Yep most probably. I tried several different drivers but problem was still the same. I don't need 108mbit so it doesn't really matter now but I'm in trouble if I ever need it :) :)

I am looking at replacing the WiFi in my laptop with a 108mbps card (internal)

I have been looking at this card here.

http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=126

Does anybody have any better suggestions?

I know the 802.11n stuff will be out next year, but I can still upgrade to that later if I want to.

(Belkin is advertising 800% range increase with their pre-N products :) )

Also, John, how did you put a second antenna in your laptop? (under keyboard?)

I might want to try that sometime, guess I need to find such an antenna... (need help with that too)

Also any suggestions on where to buy it? (especially if a different card is recomended)

Buying from Netgate is probably a good idea, and $50 is a good price to pay for that. :)

Also, if any of you other mods feel this should be in a different forum section, please feel free to move it.

Hey Bill,

I was able to put the antennae by routing it under the motherboard and then running it up to the door where the mini-pci card is located. I was able to purchase the wire through eBay. One like this would be good...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HITACHI-Wide-band-Wire...bayphotohosting