LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MiniPCI wireless cards

jlangton

I see alot of differnet miniPCI cards out there,and was wondering...will any of them work in my Precision M50? I've got a Dell truemobile 1150 in it right now,and I see alot of Dell truemobile 1400 and 1450's on eBay,etc for reasonable cost. I would think that one of the 1400/1450's would work,but I just wanna know for sure before I buy one.

edit:nevermind..did a bit more digging,and found that the 1450 will work fine.

JL

Edited by jlangton

Get an Atheros chipset (netgate.com), look at the card that you have in there right now, you can use both types of the interal WiFi cards. (big and small types)

Just make sure the antenna cable will reach.

I just bought and installed the 5004, but you might want to try the 3054 MP or the 5354 MP

With those 2 cards, the antenna should reach, the PCI Type IIIa Cards are the bigger kind, like the one that pulled out of my laptop (so they do fit) and the b kind are smaller, but fit too.

Just make sure you download some drivers from netgate before you install it, also uninstall your old card from the device manager first.

Don't be stupid like me and have to plug the antenna up to the secondary connector.

Edited by Bill

I found your post about that card a little while ago-sounds like a pretty painless swapout.

JL

Just beware, on the card I bought, the antenna connector almost did not reach, at all, on the others it should.

But on the one I got it works fine pluged up to the secondary conector.

Otherwise yes it is an easy upgrade, if you can upgrade RAM this is simple, except you have to connect and (maybe) disconect an antenna connector, which might be kinda stuborn coming off.

There is a guide on dell for this, really just like pulling ram out and putting a new stick in, just pull the things apart and out it comes.

Edited by Bill

I'm pretty familiar with the internals..I've had this and a few other C-series machines apart for cleaning,etc.

I had this one down to bare chassis today getting all of the dust,etc cleaned out of it,and fiding the little plastic "rattle" inside the casing.Turns out that I need another latch for the left hand media/batery bay,and the latch return was rattling around inside. Changing a miniPCi card is cake. :)

JL