LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help: Can't get nVidia tray icon to display

johare

Somewhere along the line my nVidia tray icon vanished. I may have turned it off...don't remember.

Anyway, I can't figure out ANY way to get it back. If I go into my nVidia control panel settings there is no option to enable it. I've trying applying coolbits.reg patch from nVidia which is supposed to enable a Tools and/or Troubleshooting menu, however neither of those menus appear. I've tried doing a clean removal of the existing drivers and installing the most recent Dell drivers as well as the original (A00) drivers from Dell...all after uninstalling the nVidia drivers and cleaning all traces of them from c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\system32\drivers as well as cleaning nVidia entries from the registry. I've even tried installing the lastest 82.10 nVidia drivers which have a new control panel and the option for the tray icon is missing from the view menu on those. Anyone have any idea on how I can get this icon back? I'm using a Dell 9300 laptop with Go 6800 video adaptor.

Thanks!

btw: In the process of messing with all this it seems that the "Hide Inactive Icons" WinXP option is no longer working...though from what I've read, that should correct itself. Does anyone know how to get this to work without just waiting for it to magically re-enable itself again?

Installing 82.10 (with the modified inf) should enable the tray icon... strange...

Check to see if the registry folder has the following:

Folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Key: NvCplDaemon

Value: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

Bill: Nice Posting :) :)

Edited by Bill