LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need A New Game- Help Me Anyone!

hollywoodten

GeForce4 440 Go 64M

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+

797 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

(hp pavilion zv5410us)

I know that it's no "gaming machine" but it's all that I have to work with & it's all that I?ll have for quite some time. So yeah, I need a new game but I am afraid of getting something that isn't going to work on my laptop. I've gone to Best Buy too many times planning on getting something and leaving disappointed, it's getting frustrating. Here is what I would love to play, specs not being an issue of course.

1. Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault

2. F.E.A.R

3. Call of Duty 2

4. Doom 3

As long as it's not going to be freezing up on me all of the time, then I can consider this a success, I am not super picky on graphics/resolution just the actual game play itself.

Is there anyone who can help me????????

PLEASE!!!

I've tried F.E.A.R and Doom3 with my laptop, and in my opinion without the nice graphics, the games seemed kind of dull ebcause the whole time you're like, "I wish I could be playing with high detail.." Granted I'm not a genius and my settings probably could've been tweaked, and I tried these games when they were first released.. I personally find the Half-Life games and mods to be the most stable for my machine. Even at a lower detail the gameplay seems pretty fun.

Doom3 should run fine on that, now FEAR, go download the demo of that first, it might not be compatible with DX7 cards like yours. (and if it is, it might not be worth the time anyway, need a fast PC to that run like it is meant to be run)

The other 2 should run too, I would suggest trying demos for those as well first, if their is one.

Hey Bill... I'm curious here. I keep reading about people not having many problems with games, but for me it's the exact opposite. If I try any newer, more "system demanding" games, I have a lot of trouble running them, even at the lowest settings possible. I've had four different drivers so far and havn't noticed any differences.

Do you think it's my laptop itself, or am I missing something? I would love to play some nice newer games, but who can enjoy a game when you're skipping across the screen half the time. When I bought my laptop I chose to get the best video card option, knowing I would be using this laptop for gaming. I figured, if I go big I shouldn't have any problems. I would think that with over a gig of ram and a 128 mb GeForce FX Go5650 I shouldn't have many problems with my laptop handling games, but I've been pretty dissapointed I must say.

It might have been top of the line at the time, but sadly, as with anything, video cards date very quickly and it would be considered pretty ordinary now..

Even mine struggles with newer games... BF2 @ 1024x768 with med/low settings no aa or af and i still get gpu lag spikes every now and then.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I kind of forgot that little fact. In my opinion it should still be able to do the task. I guess the fact that it's a laptop doesn't help too much either, with the heating issues and whatnot.

Griff, you might have the 5600 performance problem, I would link you but I need to go and can't find the topic.... :)

I downloaded a few things earlier. I grabbed an internet tweak (TweakMaster Pro) and the Centrino Monitor program discussed in another topic (so i can monitor my CPU stuff). I went to the overclocking list and saw that @@@@ posted some info on his 5650, so I overclocked it at 325 and 590. It seemed to help a little bit actually. The fps seemed to stay more steady. The 77.77 drivers made things worse, so I went back to the 82.10, they seem to give me a nice framerate, around 200-300 fps when not around people, then it's around 150 with people around. I'll try and find that topic and read up on it to see what it says though.

Do you think I should try running a benchmark program just to see what it's running at. I'm on a pretty fresh install of XP Home with Sp2...?

Doom3 should run fine on that, now FEAR, go download the demo of that first, it might not be compatible with DX7 cards like yours. (and if it is, it might not be worth the time anyway, need a fast PC to that run like it is meant to be run)

The other 2 should run too, I would suggest trying demos for those as well first, if their is one.

Errrr....

I've got a friend with a fx5200, and that barely runs FEAR on 640x480 on all low settings :)

For starters that GPU=slow, I think mine is or can be much faster (depends on clock settings of course :) )

Tell your friend to force DX8 shaders and make sure he has lots of RAM on his system AND GPU. (and of course run on low res, turning on pixel doubling might help, you know the game is serious when they put that feature in there)

I "get away" with around medium settings with mine, and it should run smoothing when I get around to buying more RAM, I think the texture setting at medium is causing the big performance drop, that and maybe volumetric lighting, I'm not really stupid though, I have soft shadows, AA, and AF turned off, pretty much everthing else is on at around medium, and you should turn sound voices up to max so you hear all the sounds.

Enemies yelling at you and running away and stuff is so funny.

They fear my slo mo flying kick of doom, :) then getting nailed by the head to wall....

Please try the demo with lowest settings on your DX7 card then if that runs with no glitches try turning some things up....

This game really is designed for a high end PC, like I hear even on a GeForce 68000 Ultra soft shadows = doom for the framerates.