LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Direct X 10

mathematiker

I've been hearing this or that about the new version of Direct X and I'm really confused. Many sources indicate that it will not be backwards compatible which doesn't sound good at all. Also it will be released with Vista so I'm not sure if it will be available for XP or older Windows versions.

-Old games will have to go through a software emulator in order to be run under Direct X 10. This emulator will be provided for games that require 9.0. Older games will be unusable without a 3rd party emulator.

-DX10 will have a completely different design so that things run faster and smoother but you have to program the game in a particular way.

So though decisions are to be made. Game developers have to design their game in a particular way and if they design it the 9.0c way it's good for old video cards but will work slow with the new ones.

Here's a sample video of Crytek with DX10: http://rapidshare.de/files/5274163/crytek_nextgen.avi.html

I think this no compatibility issue will be one of the most critisized aspects of Vista.

I've been hearing this or that about the new version of Direct X and I'm really confused. Many sources indicate that it will not be backwards compatible which doesn't sound good at all. Also it will be released with Vista so I'm not sure if it will be available for XP or older Windows versions.

-Old games will have to go through a software emulator in order to be run under Direct X 10. This emulator will be provided for games that require 9.0. Older games will be unusable without a 3rd party emulator.

-DX10 will have a completely different design so that things run faster and smoother but you have to program the game in a particular way.

So though decisions are to be made. Game developers have to design their game in a particular way and if they design it the 9.0c way it's good for old video cards but will work slow with the new ones.

Here's a sample video of Crytek with DX10: http://rapidshare.de/files/5274163/crytek_nextgen.avi.html

I think this no compatibility issue will be one of the most critisized aspects of Vista.

It's not Vista that you should be pointing the figure at, but rather MS with DX10.

You're correct. It won't be backwards compatible, but it's very feature rich, and enables coders to do things they were unable to do previously, and will provide lower overhead overall.

The reason I said Vista is because it comes with Vista.

I think it will be like XP SP2 where you cannot uninstall DX9.0c.

The reason I said Vista is because it comes with Vista.

I think it will be like XP SP2 where you cannot uninstall DX9.0c.

Ah, but you can, just not natively. There's always a way around a "You can't" when it comes with MS, and I'm sure there will be ways to do DX9 on a DX10 based box.

I think your concern is valid somewhat, but I think you're blowing it out of proportion. There's a good 3 quarters before we see a final product of Vista, with plenty of testing in between. Stating anything having to do with Vista as a definitive right now would be a bad idea.